English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 23 May 2005, 16:41   #1
fiath

Anyone have $200000 spare?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23439

and the guys website...

http://www.clelsplace.com/eli/

It would be great to be able to raise this sort of money (probably ending up twice that or more), but I think time is not really on our side. I guess it would take a "few" years of hard fundraising... :/

Also see more on the collection here:
http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Eli/Eli.shtm

Last edited by fiath; 23 May 2005 at 16:59.
Old 23 May 2005, 18:18   #2
kriz

wow! Thanks for the link..I had a good read, wonder who will be the buyer ?
Old 23 May 2005, 22:15   #3
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Some of that software is worth a few bucks because it is "rare". Once you flood the market with 500 copies of each title its not rare anymore. The people who fight each other to pay $200 a title won't do it when there are 100's available in mint condition. The only people who would buy this stuff are dealers and they pay pennies on the dollar for it. If he already sells parts on eBay he knows how overvalued the opening bid price is, most of the software posted on ebay never sells anyway.
Old 23 May 2005, 22:30   #4
woody57

If it were only as simple as matching the "reserve price " on this one then it would be a real buisness oppertunity .

The FACT its in the USA and needs to be paid for in 7 days and collected to be restored elseware bumps up the basic price ,the cost of ANY storage that has the right climatic conditions to guarentee there is NO degradation of quality etc means that if it just sits there its still costing money every week its idle .

I am quite sure the original owner has already had enough of these esculating costs and it's his real REASON to part with it as its viability of Value against genuine sales per month make it a bit of a " MONET PIT "

Its also a fact that around the world there are Goldmine's that are geologically proven to still contain hundreds of tons of the stuff , BUT the cost of its extraction is beyond its worth unless you endorse slave/convict labour .

The question is " Once you have Sold the GOLD bits , where do you dump the rest of the GARBAGE ? "
Old 23 May 2005, 22:49   #5
Unknown_K

The garbage would sell in large lots for $.99 (you just make money on ths shipping). Exactly why would you need a climate controlled wearhouse for shrinkwrapped sofware packed in its original shipping box? As long as the building is not under water everything will stay mint (except if the non shrinkwrapped stuff is left in the air in a moldy spot).
Old 23 May 2005, 23:07   #6
woody57

Thumbs up Here's my reasoning Unknown K

Because NOT ALL his stock was shrink " wrapped " even packing in perfect condition can be a selling point

He also included quote

"4,000+ Powerplayer Joysticks (Atari, C64, Amiga)
30,000+ PC mixed store returns. Excellent variety of 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" retail box titles from 1990-1993.
40,000+ Mixed old store returns. Some open, some sealed. This is some of the oldest software in the lot, and there are some extremely valuable and rare titles in these very mixed boxes. "

And THATS his RARE stuff

And unless you live round the corner 7 " Big rigs " full of stock is NOT going to be cheap to load , transport and unload at the other end its one heck of an estimated volume .

And if its not as if you can pallet stack it like bricks without special caging , hmn ! Recon you would need your own forklift as well

Last edited by woody57; 23 May 2005 at 23:15.
Old 23 May 2005, 23:21   #7
Unknown_K

90-93 had some very good DOS games.. but nothing too rare.

Anyway if you have 30 days to pick it all up you can get away with using a small U-haul moving van and making multiple trips (asuming you are close).

You would have to sell each game at $5 a copy to make any money, and I would bet quite a few of the games are budget titles nobody wants anyway.
Old 24 May 2005, 09:21   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Ebay
Old 24 May 2005, 10:33   #9
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
I wouldn't mind a copy of that Access Database!
Old 24 May 2005, 12:29   #10
Martin_L

holy crap that is crazy
Old 26 May 2005, 19:57   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
LOL ..
best part is this:
Quote:
The buyer of the collection will need several trucks to collect them from Carbondale in Pennsylvania.
Old 26 May 2005, 22:51   #12
Traquer

Hmmm, this has almost put me off collecting retro computers and retro games. Almost.

This guy must be pretty rich already to be able to afford storage, and to amass such a huge collection. IMO the best part about collecting retro games is playing them!

Old 27 May 2005, 14:09   #13
fiath

Depends on your goals. I current hold a large wodge of the 1000's of games that CAPS is looking after. How many of them do you think I play?

None.
(...well, at least in the last year or two, but since CAPS started, I could probably count the number I have played on two hands).
Old 27 May 2005, 14:38   #14
Unknown_K

I go through phases where I just tinker with hardware, and then just play games. The couple hundred boxed games I have don't get played as aften as I like, but I do open them up and check out the manuals and other docs from time to time.

The only times I played every game I had was when I was young and too poor to buy games all the time. When I was working and making some decent money I would buy a game or two every month, some of which I never even got around to playing. The more stuff you have the less you actualy get to use it or apreciate it.
Old 05 June 2005, 11:11   #15
AliZafri

--

Last edited by AliZafri; 23 September 2005 at 12:56.
Old 05 June 2005, 11:16   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The PC version of Free D.C.! is displayed on that Just Adventure link. It's unreleased on the Amiga.
Old 06 June 2005, 20:05   #17
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traquer
This guy must be pretty rich already to be able to afford storage, and to amass such a huge collection. IMO the best part about collecting retro games is playing them!
Absolutely! I have a hard time understanding "collectors" who amass games only never to open them or play them! Takes all kinds I guess......
Old 07 June 2005, 09:48   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Absolutely! I have a hard time understanding "collectors" who amass games only never to open them or play them! Takes all kinds I guess......
Have you ever thought that they manage to get two or more copies and open one and sell the unopened ones? I've got loads of unopened copies of Thalion games, but I've got opened ones too
Old 07 June 2005, 11:43   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I dunno about you guys, I am leeching the scans of those boxes.
Old 07 June 2005, 18:33   #20
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Have you ever thought that they manage to get two or more copies and open one and sell the unopened ones? I've got loads of unopened copies of Thalion games, but I've got opened ones too
Owning a large collection of Ami games myself, I've met and talked with quite a few hardcore games collectors over the years and the scenario you describe is relatively uncommon A fair few actually leave all their games shrinkwrapped/unopened/unused once bought. I've only come across the odd collector who buys one copy of a game to keep in mint condition and another copy to use and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred The Duck
I dunno about you guys, I am leeching the scans of those boxes.
You go duck man! What are you gonna use them for?!

Last edited by DrBong; 07 June 2005 at 18:39.