English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 April 2001, 12:10   #1
Tim Janssen

I have some very bad memories about Smash TV, a coin-op conversion by Ocean in 1991.
The game has you, a contestant in a future gamesquiz, shooting and killing your way out of several arenas. Now and then you can pick up/win your occasional toaster, videorecorder or chaingun(?). The whole game is basically a shoot'em up with an original twist added to the action.

When I first played the game, I was hooked by its very difficult gameplay and huge amount of enemies firing at you. But every time I lost all of my lives at the second end-level boss.
On a sad afternoon I stumbled for the zillionth time at this endboss.. and I couldn't take it anymore! I took the disc out of my Amiga and threw it to a wall in my bedroom. The whole disc was SMASHed but thankfully that evil game was erased too.

Who says people cannot get aggressive from videogames?
Old 18 April 2001, 12:21   #2
Zeewolf

Tim....

Wasn't this game based on the film 'The Running Man'?

Have you managed to get hold of another copy?
Have you got past the 2nd Level boss yet?I know what you mean it was a hard game, especially the bosses.

Quote:
Tim Janssen

Who says people cannot get aggressive from videogames?
Well it wasn't me Tim, I always used to punch the Television especially in games like Sensi Soccer.
I think I took all of my aggression out on that poor tele!!

Old 18 April 2001, 13:22   #3
Tim Janssen

Smash TV is based on a coin-op

Smash TV is based on a coin-op from the arcades. I am sure it is a coin-op conversion because I played the original on an arcade cabinet way back in 1991.
The original game is programmed by mr Eugene Jarvis who also pleased us with Defender, Robotron, NARC and Cruisin' USA in the arcades.

After I smashed my Smash TV Amiga disc all those years ago I never bothered to get an other copy of it. I really, really hated this game. But nowadays in this era of Amiga emulation I am much milder (and finally have grown up). I think I will download Smash TV for my Amiga emulator...soon.

On the other hand, I have played C64 Smash TV on a C64 emulator and it really is one of the best games I have ever seen on that machine. It comes VERY close to the Amiga version. C64 Smash TV had a trainer version so with infinite lives, ammo, time and power-ups I have managed to kill all end-bosses (Finally! Whaahaha) and finished the game. Pity I don't know what the end is about.
Old 18 April 2001, 14:13   #4
RCK
Administrator

Smash TV powaaaaaaaaaa

The best way to enjoy this game is to play at the original arcade version with MAME
Old 18 April 2003, 08:18   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

So, did Tim Janssen ever played Smash TV again?
Old 22 April 2003, 08:18   #6
Tim Janssen

Big grin Nope

Although I have downloaded Smash TV on MAME and tested it I haven't bothered to play it.
And no, I also still don't have downloaded an adf of Amiga Smash TV two years since the first post in this thread.
Old 23 April 2003, 21:57   #7
cv643d

I can really recommend the SNES version too, I love it, but I have never beaten the second boss.

Since Smash TV uses one joystick for movement and 4 buttons for shooting in different directions I think the Amiga version wont do it justice, but ie, I dont know since I only played the SNES (real cart) and MAME version.

Smash TV is the innoficial follow up to Robotron 2084, a game that used to individual joysticks instead of one joystick and 4 buttons for firing.

The game is most funny in multiplayer, but one player is a blast to I have found out
Old 24 April 2003, 05:22   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Tim, you should credit-feed the MAME version, and finish it this way. At least you would have the feeling of finishing it

I finished the Amiga version.. by CHEATING, of course

Without cheat, I think I have never beaten the 2nd boss too.

Oh, and I always played with 2 joysticks on my miggy,
Old 24 April 2003, 11:42   #9
spiff
Oh noes!

SmashTv (and total carnage?) rocks on my HotrodSe

http://www.hanaho.com/products/HotRo...ick/index.html
Old 20 May 2007, 00:16   #10
Bolch

After many hours and many pulled out hair, I finally finished this game without trainer. (Well, if state saving/loading in WinUAE after every minute doesn't count as a "trainer".)
It's insane. The most difficult, unfair, annoying game I ever played. The programmers clearly made no attention to make "Smash TV" even remotely playable. Even with constant quickloading, it was almost impossible to beat. (In the next-to-last level I was beginning to think that the program is buggy and this room has an unlimited number of enemies - because they were still coming after appr. 25 minutes!) Which is a shame, because "Smash TV" has many good ideas - especially the double-joystick control method -, I liked the parody of the bloodthirsty consumer society, and even the execution is great. But overall, playing it is more like a torture than an enjoyment.
Oh, and after all this misery, the program told me at the end that I can't watch the ultimate ending because I didn't find everything and couldn't enter the Pleasure Dome.
Did anyone manage to finish it at 100% on Amiga?

Last edited by Bolch; 20 May 2007 at 00:43.
Old 20 May 2007, 00:29   #11
Graham Humphrey

Hey, have you ever played the sequel Total Carnage on the Amiga? It makes the conversion of Smash TV look like a timeless classic, it's absolutely horrendous.
Old 20 May 2007, 06:39   #12
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Just play with two joysticks: other to move the player and other to shoot . Becomes much easier to complete. And not cheating !
Old 20 May 2007, 08:37   #13
Bolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Just play with two joysticks: other to move the player and other to shoot . Becomes much easier to complete. And not cheating !
I used two joysticks, all right. All of my above post applies to dual-joystick play. I cannot even dare to imagine how it would have been with one controller. (shudder)

Wait a minute... do you mean that you actually COMPLETED the game without cheating?

In that case:
Old 21 May 2007, 14:26   #14
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Yerp completed many times with 2 joysticks . With just one i've managed to get on level 4 but never completed the whole game.
Old 21 May 2007, 14:55   #15
seuden
uber cool demi god

Title of the game say's it all really, lol.
Old 21 May 2007, 18:15   #16
Bolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Yerp completed many times with 2 joysticks . With just one i've managed to get on level 4 but never completed the whole game.
Incredible! I thought it's virtually impossible because of the constantly - and often unavoidably - swarming enemies, the lack of room to manouver and the insanely hard boss fights. I'm truly amazed that you managed to beat it against all odds.

Is it possible to reach the Pleasure Dome and complete the game at 100% on Amiga?

Last edited by Bolch; 22 May 2007 at 06:54.
Old 22 May 2007, 01:09   #17
mrbob2

smash tv? smash game disk more like! lol
Old 27 May 2007, 06:30   #18
Carcenomy

Send a message via ICQ to Carcenomy Send a message via MSN to Carcenomy
I haven't seen the Amiga or MAME versions of SmashTV yet, I might have to have a look.

SmashTV was recently made available on the Xbox Live Arcade, and true to form uses both analog sticks on each player's controller. But OH MY LORD it's hard! Lots of fun with a mate though, you get VERY drunk if you drink for every life lost *chuckle*

Now where did I put my other Amiga joystick...