English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 February 2005, 18:27   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Your Top 5 Most Overrated/Underrated Games

Top 5 Most Overrated/Underrated Games Ever

List what you think are the Top 5 most overrated/underrated Amiga games. The point of this thread is not only to vent your hatred of popular games that suck, but to help others (..especially me) find great games that are not popular.

Most Overrated (in order)

1. Superfrog

Why, why, why? This always felt like a childish game written in AMOS. Gameplay is poor and graphics are flat. I just don't see why this is popular. Zool 2 blows this game away.

2. Battle Squadron

This is chunky unplayable crap compared to its predecessor Hybris (written by the same authors).

3. SWOS

Maybe I didn't spend enough time checking this game out, but what exactly is great about it? Maybe if you're into soccer management. Speedball 2 is the best Amiga sports game.

4. Leander

I can't remember, but I know I hated this game so much I deleted it.

5. Alien Breed

Repetitive gameplay with typically flat Team 17 graphics. I tried to like this game, but no.

Most Underrated (no particular order)

Faery Tale Adventure

Sure, the graphics are a little primitive, but in 1986 it was unbelievable. The game is huge, but not too complicated to play. There is freedom of movement and you can explore forever.

Zeewolf (1 and 2)

Great game with lots of re-playability (is that a word?). Blow stuff up, rescue guys, drive boats, fly jets and more.

Ruff'N'Tumble

I consider this the best Amiga platform game. Great graphics AND great playability. (maybe it's not so underrated now)

Lionheart

Very Beast-like, but with better gameplay. This is the game Beast II should have been.

Prime Mover

Motorcycle racing game I never hear mentioned anywhere. This game is just as good as the much hyped Lotus II.
Old 04 February 2005, 20:08   #2
pbareges

Quote:
List what you think are the Top 5 most overrated/underrated Amiga games. The point of this thread is not only to vent your hatred of popular games that suck, but to help others (..especially me) find great games that are not popular.

Most Overrated (in order)

1. Superfrog

Why, why, why? This always felt like a childish game written in AMOS. Gameplay is poor and graphics are flat. I just don't see why this is popular. Zool 2 blows this game away.
1. at first i had the same feeling about this game...but once you've been through the first levels, you get totally addicted to the fantastic gameplay. about the "flat" graphics of Team 17 games, i totally disagree with you...i think they're quite simple but really well finished, giving the kind of atmosphere you could have on any console game at the time and prooving amiga was able to compete when developers/artists gave it a chance.

Quote:
2. Battle Squadron

This is chunky unplayable crap compared to its predecessor Hybris (written by the same authors).
you must be joking !!! hybris was fine, i agree but battle squadron was a significant improvement : graphics, animation, music, weapons, gameplay....

Quote:
3. SWOS

Maybe I didn't spend enough time checking this game out, but what exactly is great about it? Maybe if you're into soccer management. Speedball 2 is the best Amiga sports game.
i don't think you could honestly compare these two games. Speedball 2 is a great futuristic game : well designed, well thought, great to play and so fun...the whole atmosphere is exciting. i would say SWOS is a more technical game, the time you spent to learn the differents moves, shoots, really makes the difference...and the fun to enjoy tournaments or championships with friends at home !!

Quote:
4. Leander

I can't remember, but I know I hated this game so much I deleted it.
i may agree on this one....i never played more than 30 minutes...it's nice, well done but nothing really exciting. but is it really overrated, i can't remember any warm acclaim by the critics or gamers.

Quote:
5. Alien Breed

Repetitive gameplay with typically flat Team 17 graphics. I tried to like this game, but no.
do you have personal issues with these poor team 17 guys ? i think alien breed was really one of the most exciting games i ever played. so much better than all the 3D doom clones in terms of interest and fun.

Quote:
Most Underrated (no particular order)

Faery Tale Adventure

Sure, the graphics are a little primitive, but in 1986 it was unbelievable. The game is huge, but not too complicated to play. There is freedom of movement and you can explore forever.
i totally agree...i love the atmosphere of this game... but i remember it had the gamers favor at the time (even if press missed this one)

Quote:
Zeewolf (1 and 2)

Great game with lots of re-playability (is that a word?). Blow stuff up, rescue guys, drive boats, fly jets and more.
i never really played this one, so i don't know.

Quote:
Ruff'N'Tumble

I consider this the best Amiga platform game. Great graphics AND great playability. (maybe it's not so underrated now)
this game is pure pleasure you're right but i remember good acclaim by both the critics and the gamers.

Quote:
Lionheart

Very Beast-like, but with better gameplay. This is the game Beast II should have been.
maybe ....even if i'm not a big fan of these games.

Quote:
Prime Mover

Motorcycle racing game I never hear mentioned anywhere. This game is just as good as the much hyped Lotus II.
i can't remember anything about this one.....

so my proposal :

overrated :

1. Shadow of the Beast
2. Street Fighter 2
3. Barbarian (psygnosis)
4. Unreal
5. Agony

underrated (for the fun i had and the time i spent on them with friends)

1. Ports of Call
2. Sky Chase
3. Twintris
4. Gravity Force 2
5. Grand Monster Slam

waiting for your comments and your advices....
Old 04 February 2005, 21:35   #3
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Oh yeah, I forgot about Agony and Unreal - very overrated! I disagree about Shadow of the Beast. Gameplay isn't that great and it is very hyped, but for music and graphics it was awesome for its time. When I saw it in '89, I almost fell on the floor. (and bought my Amiga because of it)

I have no personal issues with Team 17. I like their F17 Challenge (as an updated Pole Position clone) and their logo, but that's about it. Overall, their graphics have a style I consider boring.

I'll check some of those games. I haven't heard of four of them.

If Ruff'N'Tumble actually was popular, then I'd add:

Hunter

I just found this 2 days ago, so it must have been underrated. Drive cars, trucks, tanks, boats, helicopters, bicycles, wind surfers as you explore 3D world - AND get eaten by sharks. Great fun.
Old 05 February 2005, 02:12   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Overrated

Pretty much most of Team 17 games, with a few exceptions
Sensi
Moonstone - Nice game yeah but I dont think it deserves as much praise as it gets
Pirates - Never really 'got' the big deal to be honest. Maybe I missed something
It came from the desert - Nice looking....

Underrated

Cadaver - Doesnt seem to be very popular which surprises me
Kick Off 2 - I dont think it deserves to be remembered as inferior to Sensi
F/A 18 Interceptor - Yeah people like it but I think its the best flight sim on Amiga
Robocop 2 - Great arcadey side scrolling shooter
Vroom - Possibly the fastest 2D racer on Amiga but strangely rarely mentioned
Old 05 February 2005, 04:35   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm.. lemme think

I agree with Ruff 'n' Tumble being underrated. This game really is amazingly good.

Other underrated games:

D/Generation - Great stuff. It doesn't look too hot, but it plays superbly
Benefactor - Great little action/puzzle game that never got the praise it deserves
Apidya - The best shmup on Amiga.
Arabian Nights - This is, together with Ruff 'n' Tumble, my fav platform game on Amiga. It got good reviews, but I rarely ever seen anyone talking about it.
Burning Rubber - Not exactly the best racing game ever, but it's better than most people usually say.
All Terrain Race - the BEST game ever in this genre, if you are interested in single player racing.

There are so many others... Panza Kick Boxing, Jumping Jackson, Deep Core, Wiz 'n' Liz, European Champions, Uridium 2, Fury of the Furries, Power Drome, K240 .....

Overrated games:

Project X - I'll never say this game sucks, but it's hardly a good game either. It doesn't deserve the praise that it got, and Apidya, which was released among the same time, is dozens times better than this.
Xenom 2 - Now this one IS bad. It's worse than Project X . The 1st one was better, I could never understand why this game is so much loved... the worst game from the Bitmap Brothers.
Power Monge - Maybe I am missing something, but I always found this game to be really boring...
Zool - Sonic beater? I doubt. The sequel is pretty good though
The Great Giana Sisters - I can't really understand how so many people rate this as the best platform game on Amiga. It's a MARIO clone, and it's a BAD clone of the WORST Super Mario game (Which ok, it's not bad, it's rather good actually ) it's not original, neither fantastic at any field. It's not a bad game, I'd even call it above average stuff... but it's not as good as the game it copies, and it's hardly among the top 10 platform games on Amiga.
Old 05 February 2005, 04:44   #6
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Yep, I agree that Moonstone and Pirates are overrated.

I didn't think F/A 18, Cadaver or Kick Off 2 were underrated though. Those seem very popular and usually make "Top 50" lists. (for example see GAGE Top 50)

Oh I forgot about Project X - many people said it was the best shoot-em-up ever and when I saw it I said "Is that it??" I don't have a problem with Xenon 2 though, but I like Hybris gameplay better. Actually I don't really like shoot-em-ups anyway - too limited.

Last edited by mr_a500; 05 February 2005 at 05:00.
Old 06 February 2005, 04:49   #7
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Hmm, interesting.

Underrated
I never saw many good reviews of Leander, so, in my opinion, I think it is one of the Amiga's most underrated games. I mean, the game contains some of the most gorgeous graphics, smooth animation, and poignant and evocative soundtracks ever, and while the gameplay brings nothing new to the table, it still is very fun to play.

Sidewinder - a not so well known shmup that is really fun to play, and has gorgeous graphics.

Behind the Iron Gate - a basic Amiga FPS that proved the Amiga could hack this type of genre, doing it better then Death Mask.

Overdrive - I never saw any reviews of this game...but noone seems to mention it. One of the most fun top-down racers I have played, in my opinion.

Psyborg - someone on the EAB recommended this, and to this day I really love this game. It's a futuristic racer, but one like you have never seen before.

Space Crusade - based on the boardgame, it has the perfect blend of strategy (which is challenging but not too taxing) and action (especially those really cool 3d death scenes). Heaps of levels and an expansion pack. Probably needed more attainable ranks though. But still very fun for the casual war tactician.

Alien Bash 2 - a little known top down shooter which, despite being obviously influenced by The Chaos Engine, is still a hoot to play. Nice graphics and sounds, too.

Overrated
This may be controversial, but Turrican II. I waited so long to play the game, and when I finally did, I found a game that was very similar to the first Turrican, which was a let down. I also felt the first Turrican "did things" much better then Turrican II. I expected more.

Elfmania - a poor excuse for a tournament beat em up. Stiff animations and boring and crappy fighters. Even the female elf in the tight clothing doesn't save it. I couldn't believe reviewers at the time were comparing it to Street Fighter II.

Alien Breed - I just found this game boring and repetitive, and finding the exit at the end of a level under a time limit was a pain. I felt that Paradroid 90 was much, much better. As is Alien Bash II and The Chaos Engine.

Xenon II - As much as I like the Bitmaps, the game is boring, it sucks that the Super Nashwan powerup only lasts for 10 seconds, and the much lauded soundtrack gets tedious after a minute or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Overrated

Pirates - Never really 'got' the big deal to be honest. Maybe I missed something
Tell that to Jungle Ninja, Dast.

Last edited by Muzkat; 06 February 2005 at 05:03.
Old 06 February 2005, 19:33   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yay, I agree with Overdrive being underrated too. I spent many hours of my life with that game.

But I am a sucker for this kind of game. I love Super Cars II, All Terrain Race, Nitro , Roadkill, Micro Machines, Skidmarks...

I can understand all the rave about Elfmania back at time. The game was really impressive. But the gameplay indeed wasn't all that hot. Still it wasn't really a bad game.

Funny you mention Behind the Iron Gate as underrated, and put Alien Breed as overrated and complain about having to find the exit under a time limit (Yes, I hated that too), because Behind the Iron Gate suffers from exactly the same problem

But yes, it Behind the Iron Gate should be more known. It's an FPS with FREE 360o movement that runs in a VANILLA A600 and has NO pixellated graphics. What other Amiga game can claim that?
Old 06 February 2005, 20:01   #9
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I just checked out Behind the Iron Gate and it looks very interesting! The controls were a little tricky to figure out though. I better get the manual for this one.

About "top down racers", I never liked any of them since the C64/Arcade Spy Hunter so I can't really comment. I prefer the racer point of view. I also found Elfmania very overrated, but if you're into "beat-em-ups" (which I'm not), then maybe the good graphics substitute for poor gameplay.

Edit: Hey, Alien Bash 2 is great! It's like an updated Chaos Engine (what Chaos Engine 2 should have been). This game is not listed in HOL.

So that's 2 great games I found with this thread.

Last edited by mr_a500; 06 February 2005 at 21:02.
Old 07 February 2005, 04:33   #10
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand
Funny you mention Behind the Iron Gate as underrated, and put Alien Breed as overrated and complain about having to find the exit under a time limit (Yes, I hated that too), because Behind the Iron Gate suffers from exactly the same problem
Ha! I never realised that! I guess I like the gameplay in Behind the Iron Gate much more then in Alien Breed, so much so that I find the whole "find exit under a time limit" thing more acceptable in the first game. Or perhaps I'm just biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
So that's 2 great games I found with this thread.
Hey, no problems mate. Glad I could help. It's good to share the gems around for everyone to enjoy.

And Alien Bash 2 really needs to be entered into the HOL.
Old 07 February 2005, 06:19   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges
underrated (for the fun i had and the time i spent on them with friends)

1. Ports of Call
Sparks and Beethoven trust you had a good time!

I did.. :-)
Quote:
2. Sky Chase
Now if any game's underrated, it's this. I stumbled upon it by total accident as a kid, and it's great fun if you can find a friend who's willing to give it a try. :-)
Old 07 February 2005, 13:59   #12
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand
Yay, I agree with Overdrive being underrated too. I spent many hours of my life with that game.
What a sad waste of so many hours!

Seriously though, I can't stand Overdrive. I find it so boring.

As for underrated games, I hardly see Wizkid mentioned on here. Pinball Prelude is another one - it was more of a game than a sim, and you could have 10 balls on the table at once. Bubba n Stix - a great cartoon-like platform puzzle game. Too short perhaps, but great fun and funny in places. Parasol Stars is a great platform game. And On The Ball World Cup Edition. A great footy management game that has superb presentation and atmosphere.
Old 07 February 2005, 14:05   #13
keropi

TurricanII overrated???? I disagree....
Old 07 February 2005, 15:13   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Don't have a top 5 (everything is already mentioned), but I would like to add this game as underrated:

http://hol.abime.net/1178

Purple Saturn Day. An extremely fun game to play, even though there could have been more events.
Old 08 February 2005, 05:21   #15
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Agreed. Purple Saturn Day was a very good game.

Another very underrated game was Interphase. It's very weird and very different, yet also a very cool space ship simulation. Other than that, it is hard to describe.
Old 08 February 2005, 06:05   #16
powrslave

nuff said

Yay!

Old 08 February 2005, 14:44   #17
Marcuz

yes angelfire is overrated...
Old 08 February 2005, 15:36   #18
IFW

I don't really remember but Interphase is a cyberspace game (not a space one), and about "hacking" so your real life partner in crime can get along.
Hence the strange puzzles and stuff.
Old 08 February 2005, 16:32   #19
onkelarie

Hah, funny to stumble upon Interphase through this thread... I was just yesterday trying to find out what the name of that odd game was That game was fun indeed... I´m gonna have a go at it again tonite probably!
Old 22 March 2005, 04:27   #20
EAGLE 5

Interesting thread.

Here's a couple of games that I find underrated

1: Fast Lane by Artronic which was an excellent Group C racing game with some realistic aspects to it as well which definitely set it apart from other amiga racers. I think this may be the best racing game the Amiga has to offer.

2: Sidewinder by Arcadia. That's by far (IMHO) the greatest arcade shooter ever. Also excellent (stress relief) game for when you just want to blow stuff up!

3: Rogue Trooper by Crysalis. Take Obliterator (another excellent title) crank up the violence and add flight elements all in an easy to use interface and you got this awesome game.

4: Starglider 2 by Argonaut: Let's face it this game was constantly relegated to sulk in the shadows of Elite. But before Frontier showed up it had some aspects that really set it apart as a more complete game.

5: Mercenary series by Novagen: It crops up from time to time but not nearly as much is I'd like. These games really got you thinking (and writing stuff down a lot). For example for Damocles stopping a comet from slamming on a planet is no small task in 3 hours but it sure makes for some good fun.

Peace