English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 October 2004, 00:58   #1
Unregistered

I'd like to buy an Amiga

As stated in the topic title, i'd like to buy an Amiga (i had an 1200 long long long time ago oh god it makes me feel old T_T).

But i'd like it to be as powerful as i can get

So, what should i buy ?

Old 09 October 2004, 01:06   #2
oldpx

What will you use it for?

For everything:
Minimum- A1200 030/50 16mb ram
Maximum- A1200/4000 060 64mb ram + graphics card
Not recommended- PPC or A1

Old 09 October 2004, 07:05   #3
jeanraoul

hmmm

well, mostly for working with scanned drawings (cleaning, coloring, etc...)

i used to have a PC but the hard drive crashed, so i thought it would be great to try something new, and Mac is definately a no go

What are the difference between the 1200 and the 4000 ?

I also heard about Tower 1200, what are they exactly ? 1200s in a tower or do they have different specs ?

(yup, you guessed it, the Unregistered who started this thread was me )

Old 09 October 2004, 08:22   #4
oldpx

1200s don't originally come in towers but can be placed in them with some modifications to the ATX tower, or using an amiga tower. In a tower, a 1200 is more easily expandable and you might overcome heating problems more easily, which are probably only existant with 040 cpus.

More information on models here:
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/

You will almost certainly need a graphics card because amiga's on board graphic capabilities won't satisfy you. Personally, I don't see using old hardware a good way to make a task that is done better, faster and cheaper on more popular hardware. I have many amigas but they are for running whdload games and demos basically. I used to have a PPC amiga with a graphic card but sold it due to overheating, ridicilous performance with art effect (paint program, although only used the 040 version) and general uselessness due to lack of PPC software available. Then again it never hurts to own an Amiga, it only might not be a good investment for your task.

Emulate an amiga first and make your decision in a safe environment Try the software you are planning to use. You can emulate a graphic card too. Do it and compare the result to the original chipset for example. However keep in mind that real amiga hardware runs a lot slower than an emulated one.(If the emulated one is well configured)

Last edited by oldpx; 09 October 2004 at 08:33.

Old 09 October 2004, 16:37   #5
jeanraoul

well, i tryed some stuff in emulated environnement and i got convinced that, for what i'm doing, it'll be fine. Also, i'm not a professionnal or something like that, so i don't care about industry standards or anything related

As for using old hardware to do something that can be done on a PC, it's more for the "i'm doing it on a Amiga " thing

And of course for playing all those good ol' games

Old 09 October 2004, 16:48   #6
oldpx

Great then

Old 09 October 2004, 17:58   #7
woody57

Thumbs up I have to sadly confirm Bursegs distrust of PPC

I have been using an 040/603e ppc & b-vision card for nearly 10 months.

And that in a dedicated tower, while it is fast it also has taken up till now to get it run with stability when performing graphiics tasks .

Now Burseg knows my art work is NO masterpiece just simple joke stuff. I would agree that his original definition of an 030/040 with mininmum 16mb & grphics is the best for games and scribbles [well mine anyway]

The lack of true ppc using applications makes the added expense a little pointless, unless your just using it as a "poor relation" video player.

There is nothing gained except speed and to get it reliable involves additional cooling fans,chip coolers and adjustable clamps to hold everything just so lol

I am a miggy fanatic with lots of spare time so I will still try to push the envelope , unfortunatley the PPC fails to deliver even using workbench 3.9.

So just incase you thought you were getting a one sided storey , I thought it best to add my 2 cents worth

Trust Burseg he actually does know
Old 09 October 2004, 19:00   #8
frostwork

Hi!
I have the most powerful Classic-Amiga to sell!
If interested write me an email:
frostworks@gmx.de

cheers
frostwork
Old 09 October 2004, 20:04   #9
oldpx

Define "most powerful" please.

Old 10 October 2004, 20:04   #10
frostwork

Of course!
I was short of time yesterday...
Amiga 4000, CyberstormPPC 233/60-50 with 128 MB RAM, GRex4000D, UWSCSI, FastlaneZ3 (with 64MB RAM), Voodoo3 3000, SCSI-DVD-ROM,
SCSI-40x Ultraplex, blah,blah... Altogether the compi has more than 200MB RAM...
cheers
frostwork
Old 10 October 2004, 21:32   #11
oldpx

cool