English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 18:47   #1
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Karlos Quake now on GitHub

Following the resurrection of the TKG project I had, I recently found an incomplete archive of my old Quake C mod. It's primarily a behavioural modification, so don't expect new levels. Do expect lots of new odd features, behaviours and other tweaks.

I've managed to get it into a buildable state again and have tested it out in AmiQuake.

https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/karlos-quake

To play it, you'll just need to dump the Karlos directory under your Quake directory. I used to properly pack this into PAK files but for now, having had to fix a lot of code issues, several files are not in the archive and will just sit in the directory. You will need to start quake with -game Karlos. You need RAM and a fat wedge of stack (at least 300K).

There are tons of commands and many are bound to keys alreay. There is an old amigaguide file in there and also a hguide (you need the hyperguide datatype for that).

I don't have much time atm but I intend to actually update the readme and document all the new things eventually.
Old Yesterday, 19:06   #2
abu_the_monkey

Oooooooh. I will have check it out
Old Yesterday, 19:27   #3
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Recovering it was a right carry on.
Old Yesterday, 20:56   #4
Karlos
Alien Bleed

This slightly out of date textfile shows how some of the settings are persisted for the client and server options.

https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/karlos...Docs/Notes.doc

Contrary to what it says, the random game option is a feature now. It can be quite comical, performing a big class-based shell game switch on the monsters.
Old Yesterday, 21:01   #5
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I also note that AmiQuake severely dislikes particles, which means things like the ion cannon don't render properly.

I suspect some of the other effects, e.g. gamma flashes simply won't work at all in GL builds, so no lightning or explosion glare.
Old Yesterday, 21:02   #6
eXeler0

Thats an interesting list of modifications.
Maybe Ill adjust some of my Quake maps to utilize some of this stuff at some point. (Although any Quake maps for Amiga from me will automatically require a PiStorm or Vampire, Im done trying to optimize for 060)
Old Yesterday, 21:07   #7
Karlos
Alien Bleed

More the grappling hook can attach to monsters. So a bit like the meat hook from Doom Eternal.

The torch and grapple winch need cells.
Old Yesterday, 21:08   #8
Karlos
Alien Bleed

If you have the in world target enabled, you can toggle guided missiles. Those are fun.
Old Yesterday, 21:11   #9
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The full quakec source is included, which I build using the Amiga faqcc port, which is testament to how obsolete it all is
Old Today, 00:59   #10
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
Oooooooh. I will have check it out
I just fixed a massive fat bug the initial tidy and import added. Impulse commands were not being cleared except for weapon change events. This would cause other things to loop endlessly, e.g. toggling firemodes, turning on torch etc. All pushed and merged.

I don't plan to do much with this (and burned a lot of time this weeked on getting it just working again) but I do expect it to work as an MVP