English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 March 2024, 20:22   #1
skintt
AmiMatti

Amiga 500 clean up. Possible mouse issue

Hi all,

I recently bought an A500 from Ebay for a pretty decent price. Here it is looking a bit grimy straight out of the box:

I only had a PSU and WB 1.3 disk so all I could do was power it on and boot to WB which fortunately worked (although a couple of times I got a read error on the disk so I assume the floppy drive is on it's way out).

Today I took delivery of a Gotek floppy emulator and a new wireless tank mouse so it was time to get it cleaned up.

I opened it up and fortunately the inside is pretty clean!

I stripped down the keyboard, removed all the keycaps and gave it a bit of a clean.

I then cleaned all the keycaps and the plastic case thoroughly with car shampoo (as recomended by [ Show youtube player ]), followed by a scrub with baking soda for any stubborn marks.

After allowing everything to dry thoroughly, I fitted the Gotek and plugged in the 9 pin to USB adapter that came with the tank mouse and this is the finished product:

I had some issues trying to use the flashfloppy file selector menu as I kept getting "Error: media attach failed" but it seems to work ok if I don't use that and just put my legally purchased ADF files on the root of the flash drive.

However, I've tried a few games that use a mouse and there is an issue where the mouse will barely move unless I move it really fast, which then causes it to fly across the screen. I thought the issue might be with the wireless tank mouse, so I tried a wired USB mouse and it's the same.

The same issue occurs in WB so it's definitely a hardware issue.

At this point, I'm hoping the issue is with the 9 pin to USB adapter that came with the tank mouse but I have no way of testing as I don't have anything else.

Is it possible the issue is with the Amiga itself though? The joystick plugged into port 2 seems to work without issue.

I have a different 9 pin to USB adapter coming from Amigakit so I will soon see if that is the issue or not!

Bonus picture of my daughter playing Switchblade 2: