English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 February 2024, 02:20   #1
cloverskull

BPPC SCSI/early boot menu help requested!

Hey friends, I finally have my BPPC seemingly working as expected. Huzzah! However, I'd like to get the settings configured optimally yet I don't know what the majority of the BPPC's settings are (particularly the MAPROM features).

Specifically right now I want to get my SCSI CD-ROM working.

The chain looks like this:

BPPC SCSI (unit 7) --> SCSI CD-ROM (unit 2) --> Acard 7720 (unit 1) with active termination.

What would be the ideal configuration for the BPPC SCSI settings in the early boot menu? I.e., how many LUNs, reselect, automount...basically where can I learn what each setting means and how best should I configure the CD-ROM to be recognized? I don't see it with the Mounter tool in Workbench.

Also as an Amiga CD-ROM noob, using OS 3.2.2.1, would I need any specific software to enable the CD-ROM?

Thanks!

Last edited by cloverskull; 24 February 2024 at 02:20. Reason: BPPC SCSI is unit 7, not 0
Old 24 February 2024, 21:12   #2
Korodny
Zone Friend

The Flash updates that were released after the product went on sale contain additional documentation, especially for the boot menu:

http://aminet.net/search?query=blizzard%20ppc%20flash

IIRC, the "automount" feature is for CDs: you can create CDs containing an RDB, and the Blizzard PPC can boot from such a CD. You'e not going to use this anyway.

I wouldn't mess with most of these settings. What I did back then was disabling any SCSI IDs I wasn't using - that speeds up the boot process a bit, because the Blizzard doesn't have to check these IDs for any drives anymore.
Old 25 February 2024, 02:39   #3
cloverskull

Thanks! That was good advice. It did demystify things somewhat. I appreciate it.

For my CF card I used synchronous mode but aside from that didn't change anything and I'm getting 8mb/sec on sysinfo, which feels pretty reasonable to me.

As for the CD-ROM, I'm wondering if maybe what I am dealing with is a drive that isn't fully functional. I do have it recognized finally but when I put a CD in the drive, nothing happens in Workbench. If I launch the Mounter tool, it can "see" the drive and correctly reports details about it, but when I try to mount it it complains about not having an RDB. When I launch SysInfo I can see the drive as well but none of the fields have any values (i.e., everything is basically a zero) so I wonder if maybe the laser in the drive has gone bad or something.

Thanks for the help. I'm farther along than I was previously but not yet where I can actually use the CD-ROM. I'll keep working on it.