English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 December 2023, 11:27   #1
cloverskull

Daydream BBS freezing when launching rexx doors

Hey friends,

Bit of an odd one here and I am doubtful anyone else runs this anyway but hoping for a hand

I've tried installing multiple versions of Daydream BBS on multiple versions of Amiga OS. Seemingly any time a Daydream rexx door/script is run, it freezes completely. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a known (hopefully obvious) fix? I'd really like to run this software if possible

Thanks!

PS - nothing suspicious in snoopdos. It looks like the rexx script runs with "Ok" and then...nothing. Node is completely frozen. Daydream status is that user is running an external door. I can't kick the user or interact in any way. It hangs the node.
Old 18 December 2023, 22:42   #2
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Hey friends,

Bit of an odd one here and I am doubtful anyone else runs this anyway but hoping for a hand

I've tried installing multiple versions of Daydream BBS on multiple versions of Amiga OS. Seemingly any time a Daydream rexx door/script is run, it freezes completely. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a known (hopefully obvious) fix? I'd really like to run this software if possible

Thanks!

PS - nothing suspicious in snoopdos. It looks like the rexx script runs with "Ok" and then...nothing. Node is completely frozen. Daydream status is that user is running an external door. I can't kick the user or interact in any way. It hangs the node.
Can you use that raexx trace console and trace the arexx code? I know with ami-express when arexx doors fail they can lock up the node when they don't exit cleanly
Old 18 December 2023, 23:52   #3
cloverskull

Hmm...potentially? :P Can you give some advice how to do this? I'm pretty unfamiliar with rexx honestly.
Old 19 December 2023, 04:18   #4
-TCB!-

When setting up rexx doors on /X, I found that quite a few of them seemed to suffer from Y2K issues and wouldn't exit 'gracefully'.
Old 19 December 2023, 09:51   #5
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Hmm...potentially? :P Can you give some advice how to do this? I'm pretty unfamiliar with rexx honestly.

the following shell coimmands should help:

TCO - opens trace console
TCC - closes trace console
TS - start tracing
TE - end tracing

if the trace console is open and tracing is enabled you should see each arexx command executed and be able to step through the code.
Old 19 December 2023, 11:50   #6
cloverskull

Thanks! Very helpful, insofar as there was actually no output so it appears the rexx interpreter is the problem in the first place. Not sure how to troubleshoot this one :/

I appreciate the help!
Old 19 December 2023, 12:43   #7
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Thanks! Very helpful, insofar as there was actually no output so it appears the rexx interpreter is the problem in the first place. Not sure how to troubleshoot this one :/

I appreciate the help!

Sorry i'm not that familiar with daydream but i did find this in the manual:

ARexx interface is external, program called rexx in
Doors/-directory converts ARexx<->DDDP.

that's about as much help as i can be i think.
Old 19 December 2023, 13:26   #8
cloverskull

Thanks! I appreciate it. Yeah, it's not super well documented and I'm scratching my head a bit. Alas...
Old 19 December 2023, 13:34   #9
talybont

Which version are you using? Is V8.55 the latest?

http://www.dreamlandbbs.com/filegate...ydr/index.html
Old 19 December 2023, 14:33   #10
cloverskull

Yeah, that's what I'm using. I _think_ it's the latest but the author's email address no longer works, and the guy he sold the source to says he lost it a while ago and hasn't responded to any of my recent emails :/

For what it's worth, 1.28 and 1.30beta also exhibited this issue for me.
Old 21 December 2023, 19:42   #11
cloverskull

Ok, I got it to work. I had to find old Daydream archives to locate some libs that were missing from the later archives and put them in the appropriate places, and also had to put rx in c: . Following that, everything is working great!

I may repackage Daydream in spite of not owning the IP in case other folks intend to install it. Hope that doesn't ruffle any feathers.
Old 21 December 2023, 20:28   #12
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Ok, I got it to work. I had to find old Daydream archives to locate some libs that were missing from the later archives and put them in the appropriate places, and also had to put rx in c: . Following that, everything is working great!

I may repackage Daydream in spite of not owning the IP in case other folks intend to install it. Hope that doesn't ruffle any feathers.
Great that you got it working. Later versions of ami-express rexxdoor seem to need rx to be made resident so I wonder if it's a similar issue with daydream. Have not tried moving it to C: - might give that a try