English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2023, 06:30   #1
mass

NEONnoir Boxed edition

I hope it's ok if I do some shameless self promotion, I promise to keep it tasteful...

I wanted to share some exciting news about NEONnoir, the cyberpunk adventure game I released for the Amiga 1200 almost a year ago. First off, thank you and the rest of the Amiga community for your continued love and support. I've never felt more welcomed by internet strangers

When I look back at my first devlog, I mention how important it was for me to release a game in a box, and today, that has finally become a reality!

This project started out of pure greed; I wanted a box for myself! So, I talked to suppliers and roped my wife into designing the box art while I laid out the manual.

A couple of weeks later, I had in my house ten game boxes filled with manuals, floppies, stickers, and (in my humble opinion) the coup de gras: a USB drive that looks like Coral, the digital drug central to the story of NEONnoir!

Why ten? Well, it was cheaper than one, and the rest I'll gift. But as I started showing these secretly around, more and more people suggested sharing it with the community to gauge interest in me making a larger run and selling it. The price will depend on how many I'm making: I'm not looking to make a profit; I just want to share my joy over the fact that this is real. Nothing beats holding an actual box in your hands

If you're interested, please check out this form. If enough people want it, I'll create a pre-order page and make a new run.

I'll leave you with some pictures of my copy, and you can judge if it was all worth it. It certainly was for me

Also, if people are interested, I'd happily share my experience doing this. There's not much documentation on the subject, and others might find it helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231107_040054540~2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	80769   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231115_203525363.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	80770   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231103_220246241~3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	80771   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00501.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	80772  
Old 16 November 2023, 07:15   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Voted yes, count me in. Where would it be eventually shipped from?
Old 16 November 2023, 07:19   #3
Sir_Lucas

Looks stunning. Congratulations!!
Old 16 November 2023, 07:21   #4
mass

Thank you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Voted yes, count me in. Where would it be eventually shipped from?

It'll ship from the US.
Old 16 November 2023, 08:22   #5
Evillord68

Wow it looks great. I have registered for a box.
Old 16 November 2023, 08:46   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Looks very nice! Good luck with it
Old 16 November 2023, 09:06   #7
lesta_smsc

This looks incredible! I love the semi transparent floppy disks; did you source them or the company you used has this to their disposal?!

Any ideas on estimated price? I think the issue is shipping from USA to UK usually attracts high cost along with customs charges.
Old 16 November 2023, 09:43   #8
mass

I sourced the floppies myself. They were the Maxell CoolDisks. Unfortunately, I can't just get the purple ones, as they come in all sorts of colors. There are only 10 purple in a box of 50 and the game is on 4 disks. I don't know that I'd be able to source them at scale.

The price will be based in the size of the run. When I made these first ten, it was about 40 USD per box. Assuming I make more than 10, the price should hopefully be lower.
Old 16 November 2023, 10:08   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I think postage and customs from USA to Europe will be a killer, though :-/
Old 16 November 2023, 10:12   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Looks really good. You could keep the other colour disks for the sequel? Assuming you do a sequel at some point maybe make the boxes the same size and put the writing on the side in the same place (OCD in me hates it when the trilogy games are in different sized boxes)

You could sell via a EU reseller like AmigaKit. Ship over all EU games in one hit.
Old 16 November 2023, 10:13   #11
troupe86

I've declared interest. I enjoyed the game when it was released and it deserves a physical copy.
Old 16 November 2023, 12:19   #12
outsiderz
-[User]-

looks great. i will think about it.
Old 16 November 2023, 13:18   #13
AmyMor

Thumbs up

Very nice!
I would be interested in a physical copy of the game, but I'm afraid of customs fees from the United States. Would you consider selling the title through some European retailer like Alinea, Amiga Store?

PS: You were talking about a possible multilingual translation, it would have been nice to add it as a "bonus" to the Box version.
Old 16 November 2023, 14:47   #14
DisasterIncarna

again as a euro person, import fees can often vastly overshadow the actual product, glad this popped up tho as i missed it first time around so just donated/bought from itch.io playing it on steam deck atm, looking good so far.
Old 17 November 2023, 00:26   #15
lesta_smsc

Might be a silly question but are the disks for installation or to play off ADF? If I'm not mistaken the itch.io versions are extract and play but not ADF?
Old 17 November 2023, 04:19   #16
Magic

You have put together a very nice package. "I have registered for a box" as well.
Old 17 November 2023, 05:01   #17
mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Looks really good. You could keep the other colour disks for the sequel? Assuming you do a sequel at some point maybe make the boxes the same size and put the writing on the side in the same place (OCD in me hates it when the trilogy games are in different sized boxes)

You could sell via a EU reseller like AmigaKit. Ship over all EU games in one hit.

To be honest, I hadn't considered that what shipping fees would be like, but this makes a lot of sense. I'll reach out to a few resellers and see what we can work out. Paying more in shipping than for the game itself would make me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Might be a silly question but are the disks for installation or to play off ADF? If I'm not mistaken the itch.io versions are extract and play but not ADF?

Not a silly question. The current version of the game that's up on itch.io is one big LHA that needs to be unarchived and that's it. In the box, there will be an updated version of the game (which will also be available for free on itch) spread over 4 floppy disks and contain an installer. This option is for the full retro experience of installing the game on real hardware from real disks.

In the USB drive there are going to be 4 ADFs as a backup, the manual in PDF form, and the full LHA archive, just like on itch.io. I'm considering maybe even adding an HDF with the game already "installed" and ready to play. It's a 4GB drive, so plenty of space there! (Choosing 1GB instead of 4GB would only save $0.02 from the price of the USB drive!) The entire bundle will eventually also be available on itch.io in case you format the drive for other reasons and decide you want those files back.
Old 17 November 2023, 11:00   #18
Silverstreak

Looks amazing, I'm in!
Old 17 November 2023, 22:43   #19
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass View Post
To be honest, I hadn't considered that what shipping fees would be like, but this makes a lot of sense. I'll reach out to a few resellers and see what we can work out. Paying more in shipping than for the game itself would make me

Not a silly question. The current version of the game that's up on itch.io is one big LHA that needs to be unarchived and that's it. In the box, there will be an updated version of the game (which will also be available for free on itch) spread over 4 floppy disks and contain an installer. This option is for the full retro experience of installing the game on real hardware from real disks.

In the USB drive there are going to be 4 ADFs as a backup, the manual in PDF form, and the full LHA archive, just like on itch.io. I'm considering maybe even adding an HDF with the game already "installed" and ready to play. It's a 4GB drive, so plenty of space there! (Choosing 1GB instead of 4GB would only save $0.02 from the price of the USB drive!) The entire bundle will eventually also be available on itch.io in case you format the drive for other reasons and decide you want those files back.
You could add IA generated voices on the USB HDF file for full Neo retro experience
Old 20 November 2023, 13:16   #20
AlphaAmiga

Looks great!