English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 October 2023, 12:05   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

RTG screen size - no overscan

I'm configuring my PiStorm32 and have setup screens with P96. I'm hoping to use them with games like Freespace and Napalm.

The screens look great, but I've lost the tops and bottoms, and screenmode doesn't allow access to Overscan for the PiStorm modes.

I know very little about RTG, is there a way to adjust the display size of these modes so they fit on the screen properly?
Old 25 October 2023, 12:28   #2
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I know very little about RTG, is there a way to adjust the display size of these modes so they fit on the screen properly?
Describe your issue more exactly, please (screenshots may help, and what modes you did create). Overscan does not exist here. Whatever screenmode you create should display properly.

Note how the RTG of PiStorm/Emu68 works: in config.txt, you define the HDMI screenmode (default is 1080p). Whatever RTG screenmode you create/use on the Amiga side is upscaled to fit the HDMI resolution. So make sure that is correct, first. Otherwise, you won't ever get the Amiga screenmode to display correctly.
Old 25 October 2023, 12:40   #3
Thomas Richter

Quote:
I'm configuring my PiStorm32 and have setup screens with P96. I'm hoping to use them with games like Freespace and Napalm.

RTG does not know overscan, this principle only applies to analog TV signals. RTG only knows pre-defined screen sizes you may select to your likings.
Old 25 October 2023, 14:17   #4
Nor Bert
Norbert

Quote:

The screens look great, but I've lost the tops and bottoms, and screenmode doesn't allow access to Overscan for the PiStorm modes.

You need to create new resolutions in P96 that the game requires.
Old 25 October 2023, 16:44   #5
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Some modern flat screen TVs zoom in on the picture slightly, cutting off the borders. When I first connected my A500 Mini to my Samsung TV, I had to change it in settings. The settings options are called "Fit to Screen" and "Zoom and Position" on my TV.
Old 25 October 2023, 18:02   #6
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Some modern flat screen TVs zoom in on the picture slightly, cutting off the borders. When I first connected my A500 Mini to my Samsung TV, I had to change it in settings. The settings options are called "Fit to Screen" and "Zoom and Position" on my TV.
This is a Samsung and it has similar settings. I inherited it and I'm pretty sure I have no remote, so trying to adjust the settings with the funky little side buttons is...... challenging.
Old 01 November 2023, 13:00   #7
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Update!

Guys, I got hold of a new (old) TV. It's a Sony Bravia (KDL26S3000).
It works great with the AGA/SCART screens but when I select the PiStorm HDMI it says:
Recorder 1 (raspberry )
out of range

With AGA sorted, this should be the easy part, shouldn't it? :- )

Again, I don't have a remote, but I've been fiddling around with the settings'menus and the only reference I can see to pc is the 15 pin D connector socket.

Any thoughts?
Old 01 November 2023, 13:08   #8
derSammler

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Yes, I wrote about this before:
Quote:
Note how the RTG of PiStorm/Emu68 works: in config.txt, you define the HDMI screenmode (default is 1080p). Whatever RTG screenmode you create/use on the Amiga side is upscaled to fit the HDMI resolution. So make sure that is correct, first. Otherwise, you won't ever get the Amiga screenmode to display correctly.
Set a HDMI mode in config.txt that the TV can handle. It may only do 720p for example if it is really old/cheap.

Try e.g. 85 in group 2. All modes: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...119415572.app3

Last edited by derSammler; 01 November 2023 at 13:19.
Old 01 November 2023, 20:31   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Set a HDMI mode in config.txt that the TV can handle. It may only do 720p for example if it is really old/cheap.

derSammler, thanks again, Sir. :-)

In the end I removed all the force hdmi stuff from the config and the PiStorm was then able to autosense the TV's specification apparently.

You're right, it was cheap. I gave my daughter a lift to the dump yesterday, and as we were leaving I saw this lady carrying it across the compound. I noticed it had scart and hdmi and asked if I could take it off her hands. It is only 720P, perhaps I should complain. ;-)
Old 01 November 2023, 22:48   #10
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post

It turned out on the Samsung, that if you go into the settings and edit the label of the HDMI port you're using to "PC" it then resizes the screen so that the image fits perfectly.