English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 September 2003, 16:26   #1
scarymary

Newbie needs lots of help

Which version is the best use? how do I get it to read my CD rom at startup? I have ticked the box that says mount pc drives but it wont recognise my cd even though I have got an Amiga cd in the drive at the time. It does however recognise my two hard drives
I have set up a hardfile, and installed workbench onto it, it boots up from that, and I have installed some games to it but I have to set it for sound each time before I load it, can I make it remember my settings.

I am trying to install Photogenics 2 from CD. I must have done something right the other day by accident because the Cd did show up on workbench, but the installation failed because the installer was trying to write a file to itself on the Cd which of course it cant do, but I think I have the answer to that, but now I cant get it to read the Cd so I cant try my theory to see if it works.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Old 23 September 2003, 16:32   #2
Konrad

Download the newest version of this emulator. For CDRom support you'll have to enable UAEscsi.device in the MISC-Tab. You should use "Add PC drives at startup" just when you want to use the harddrives of the pc within emulation.

Then just download this cd rom driver from aminet and install it:
ftp://de.aminet.net/pub/aminet/disk/...amicdfs240.lha
This is AmiCDFS, the most popular cdrom driver for the amiga.
Old 25 September 2003, 14:07   #3
scarymary

Sorry for the delay in getting back,
Have installed 08.22R9 but it locked my mouse and keboard leaving me no option but to press reset on the PC I then tried 08.22R7 this is working but the mouse is very slow. If I tick the box that you said then I have a black screen and again have no option than to reset. I have downloaded the program you recommeded but I have no idea how to install it? I started of with version 5 of winUAE and things seemed OK with that other than the CD problem. So any more help would be great.

Old 25 September 2003, 14:31   #4
thomas

Sounds like there is something terribly wrong with your Windows setup. Which Windows version do you use ?

If you've got Win95, you need the updates listed on the winuae.net page. Also you need DirectX 8 or later. If you don't run Win2K or XP, you need ASPI for the uaescsi.device option.

You should always be able to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to close the WinUAE task. On Win98 sometimes the task window does not get drawn although it is there. Move around the mouse, if the pointer appears in the center of the screen, the window is there and you can press return to close the WinUAE task. You should run WinUAE in window mode until you found out the cause for the hang-up.

Enable WinUAE's log file and look at it for possible causes.

Oh, and here is a short guide on how to install a CD-ROM drive on WinUAE: http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/uaescsi.html
Old 25 September 2003, 19:10   #5
Konrad

@scarymary
Did you also enable ASPI ? Because enabling it crashes my system. If you checked it before then turn it off and try again.
Old 26 September 2003, 10:48   #6
scarymary

Hi there,

I'm running 98se. I cant do Ctrl-Alt-Del because the keyboard doesn't respond, the mouse pointer moves but pressing either button does nothing. I do have UAE in window mode, but even though I can see my PC desktop I cannot do anything on it, as I get no response from either of the mouse buttons. I am running DirectX 8.1.

As to enabling ASPI I have no idea how or where.

Old 26 September 2003, 11:00   #7
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by scarymary
As to enabling ASPI I have no idea how or where.
Go to Misc tab
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.png
Views:	415
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	5977  
Old 26 September 2003, 11:07   #8
scarymary

There is a tick in that box, but it is ghosted so I cant change it.