English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 27 July 2021, 13:14   #1
StompinSteve
Village idiot

1943 Battle of Midway - WHDload won't work

Hello all,

I found the WHDload installer for the game "1943 Battle of Midway" and found various ADF's of the game on various download sites and FTPs. In the end, most ADF's turn out to be the same.
There seem to be 2 main variants going around the net, one cracked by a group with "fishes" in the crack's intro and one cracked by a group called paranoia or something (those ADF's have "PNA" in the filename).

Both ADF's, when written to a real floppy, boot their respective crack-loader (where you can choose stuff like unlimited lives etc.) but then, when continuing and loading the game, after a couple of seconds, return to the same crack-loader. This is an endless loop.
Maybe this game is simply incompatible with the A1200 or, in my case, my A1200 with Apollo 1240 accelerator ?
(I have not tried removing the Apollo yet).

Anyway, when I use that floppy (regardless of the ADF used to write the floppy) while installing the game to HDD with the WHDload installer i found (v1.3, the latest), it works and finishes the installation but when I then start the game, it complains about the disk being a wrong format or something and then it stops.

Does anybody know a version of this game that works with WHDload ?
Old 27 July 2021, 13:24   #2
Superman

WHDLoad installs don't work with cracked versions only orginal images. Try this link for the complete install (no ADF needed)

http://grandis.nu/eab/FTP/Retroplay%.../1943_v1.3.lha
Old 28 July 2021, 11:34   #3
StompinSteve
Village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
WHDLoad installs don't work with cracked versions
Hmmmmm those pre-formatted and pre-populated bootable CF cards with Workbench 3.x and WHDload etc. etc. you can buy everywhere, have hundreds of WHDload games on them and many are cracked versions...

Last edited by StompinSteve; 28 July 2021 at 12:02.
Old 28 July 2021, 14:07   #4
mrv2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinSteve View Post
Hmmmmm those pre-formatted and pre-populated bootable CF cards with Workbench 3.x and WHDload etc. etc. you can buy everywhere, have hundreds of WHDload games on them and many are cracked versions...
What you normally find is that the slave install uses the unaltered IPF version of the game and the slave author re-writes the crack (often fixing other problems) and adds their own trainers. This eliminates bad cracks, viruses and hacked games.