English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 16 December 2020, 22:07   #1
Not Here Long

Alone in the Dark frame rate (through Shapeshifter)

Hello

I've been trying out the Alone in the Dark trilogy on an Amiga 1200 with a CSA 12 gauge accelerator card (32mb RAM, 50MHz 030).

Using the MuEVD video driver the frame rate improves significantly and the games are largely playable. Having once happily played through Driller on the ZX Spectrum, I don't think I could be accused of being too fastidious about frame rates, however there is still room for improvement.

Is it possible to achieve better performance or is what I have already likely to be the best result possible with an 030 card?

Strangely, Alone in the Dark 3 runs better than the first game in the series. I also tried Time Gate, which uses the same engine (and seems to be available only in French for Mac OS). Predictably, the frame rate was choppy but still better than I'd expected, given that the game refuses to boot on an 030 (I had to use a program called Pseud040 to get it to start). Someone with an 040 or 060 card (who understands French) might get some enjoyment out of it.

P.S. Does anyone know why my accelerator card works with 3.1 ROMs? There's a lot of talk online of how it shouldn't. I bought it used off ebay more than fifteen years ago. Is it possible the previous owner modified it in some way?