English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 September 2020, 01:14   #1
Planetinfinity

MMULib

Hello,

a couple of days ago I bought Kickstart 3.1.4. ROM and implemented it without any problems. After I installed Workbench 3.1.4.1 I am able to see an message that occurs every time I restart my system:

Quote:
A 68030 processor was found in the system, but a corresponding CPU library is missing.... Alternatively, include a tool in S:Startup-Sequence that enables the MMU ...
I assume that this message is displayed because of my ACA1223n-26 board.

I already installed the acatool and followed the wizard for ACA1233n fiies. I am able to see that the tool is included in the startup-sequence but the message is still visible.

Do I need to install another tool ?
Old 06 September 2020, 08:44   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

It is recommended that you install a 68030.library. You can use the one available in the MMULib package.

The message is generated in the startup-sequence by the following line:

CPU CHECKINSTALL

It finds no LIBS:68030.libary exists and puts out that message.
Old 06 September 2020, 11:51   #3
Planetinfinity

Hi gulliver,

I tried to install the mmulib package from aminet, but I was getting completely confused by that 1000 question and options/feature I never heared of during the installation process..

For example what is "BPPCFx_PPC" and "FastIEEE" and do I need that ?

Does it make sense to ignore all the question and use the beginner installation ?
Do I need to copy some file from individual computers afterwards ?
Old 06 September 2020, 12:23   #4
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Fast IEEE requires an 040 or 060 CPU.

Later versions of the AmigaOS already support Fast IEEE

Iirc, "BPPCFx_PPC" is a fix for the B-Vision Graphics card for the PPC cards.
Old 06 September 2020, 13:51   #5
Planetinfinity

Hello Kin,

thank you for your explanation.

For the other questions during the installation process. Do you guys think it makes more sense to use the beginner mode which I suppose accept all the question or does it make more sense to simple not install the mmulib ?

What advantage do I get when I install the mmulibs ?
Are demos faster or is the workbench faster ??
Old 06 September 2020, 16:41   #6
daxb

IMHO MMULib is not for beginners. If you want to use you need to read the guide first (at least I would recommend). For the time being you can copy mmu.library and 68030.library (maybe 680x0.library too) to your Libs: directory.
Old 07 September 2020, 00:26   #7
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
It is recommended that you install a 68030.library. You can use the one available in the MMULib package.

The message is generated in the startup-sequence by the following line:

CPU CHECKINSTALL

It finds no LIBS:68030.libary exists and puts out that message.
I suppose he could instead edit the startup-sequence and comment out the CPU CHECKINSTALL line?

I know it's naughty but it does solve his issue.
Old 07 September 2020, 00:31   #8
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
IMHO MMULib is not for beginners. If you want to use you need to read the guide first (at least I would recommend). For the time being you can copy mmu.library and 68030.library (maybe 680x0.library too) to your Libs: directory.

I would second this. I too got hopelessly lost with the installation. I will come back to it once my Amiga knowledge comes back to me.
Old 07 September 2020, 00:31   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
I suppose he could instead edit the startup-sequence and comment out the CPU CHECKINSTALL line?

I know it's naughty but it does solve his issue.
I think you probably wouldn't be able to exploit the potential of 030
Old 07 September 2020, 18:08   #10
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I think you probably wouldn't be able to exploit the potential of 030
You can exploit the potential of the 030 better by using MMU tools only when they are beneficial or absolutely required.

Beneficial case:

Remapping the Kickstart ROMs when the speed of the Fast RAM is much faster than the Kickstart ROMs and there is no custom MapROM hardware to perform this function. In such case, the choice of MMU tools greatly affects performance.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92994

Absolutely required case:

Debugging tools (e.g. Enforcer)

Optional case:

Fixing broken Zorro expansion Boards which fail with the 030 CIIN feature or cache enabled (e.g. Bridgeboards)

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 07 March 2023 at 17:32. Reason: Update:
Old 07 September 2020, 20:44   #11
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I would second this. I too got hopelessly lost with the installation. I will come back to it once my Amiga knowledge comes back to me.
If there are problems with the installer, let me know. It should be really easy - unless you install as "Expert", then you should be one.
Old 07 September 2020, 20:54   #12
Planetinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
If there are problems with the installer, let me know. It should be really easy - unless you install as "Expert", then you should be one.
I tried it as "Expert" and this is the reason why I was getting confused. What I found ouut was that the BestWB is also able to install the MMULibs. I don't know wether this is the same or not.
Old 08 September 2020, 11:42   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
You can exploit the potential of the 030 better by using MMU tools only when they are beneficial or absolutely required.

Beneficial case:

Remapping the Kickstart ROMs when the speed of the Fast RAM is much faster than the Kickstart ROMs and there is no custom MapROM hardware to perform this function. In such case, the choice of MMU tools greatly affects performance.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92994

Absolutely required case:

Debugging tools (e.g. Enforcer)

Optional case:
Fixing broken Zorro expansion Boards which fail with the 030 CIIN feature or cache enabled (e.g. Bridgeboards)
Thanks for the interesting info

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 07 March 2023 at 17:31. Reason: Update
Old 08 September 2020, 12:35   #14
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Thanks for the interesting info
Also only part of the story. If you want to write-protect the mapped ROM, then the host-specific solutions will not allow that. Also, if you loaded modules as part of an operating system update (LoadModule), then you can write-protect these as well. So there is still a bit more to discover. MuMapRom also allows you to boot from a different ROM image (as SKick), but this is a bit experimental and I am not sure in how far this works in general.
Old 08 February 2023, 19:01   #15
AmigaMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetinfinity View Post
Hi gulliver,

I tried to install the mmulib package from aminet, but I was getting completely confused by that 1000 question and options/feature I never heared of during the installation process..

For example what is "BPPCFx_PPC" and "FastIEEE" and do I need that ?

Does it make sense to ignore all the question and use the beginner installation ?
Do I need to copy some file from individual computers afterwards ?
Planetinfinity
I had the same issue with 68060 TF and MMulibs. I was so confused i did a PRETEND install and was still confused (LOL). I HAD to install MMU libs for the TF1260 to even work so opted for beginner and installed everything except PPC stuff. It works !!!
Old 08 February 2023, 19:32   #16
Thomas Richter

If you are a beginner, then using the expert mode for installation is not the right choice, indeed.
Old 08 February 2023, 23:25   #17
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
If you are a beginner, then using the expert mode for installation is not the right choice, indeed.
Sometimes one choose the expert mode more to see what's under the hood then anything else. Still, if the default settings being applied (if the user chooses only to proceed) are of those set also on novice mode (where applicable) might also help
Old 07 March 2023, 00:11   #18
reno

Hi,

Does OS 3.2.2 change anything to the usefulness (or lack thereof) of MMULib for a casual user with a TF1230 or TF1260/PiStorm32, mainly using WHDLoad ?

Also, what's the difference with Mu680x0Libs ?
Old 10 March 2023, 00:19   #19
thebajaguy

The 'benefits' are subject to the things you may want to protect against.

Every 68030 has the Longword 32-bit hardware write ignore bug of the hardware 'don't cache' line. It's known as CIIN, and enabling the MMU protects those areas that might get cached but shouldn't. Good coding makes this more of a corner case, but this protects against the outliers. Mulibs sets up the MMU table with a moderate-conservative configuration that protects shared RAM (ChipRAM), I/O PIC config spaces, with options to better adjust for non-standard expansion cards.

Remap of kickstart is another. Placing it in the fastest 32-bit memory available (and write protecting it) is a performance boost. SetCPU will do this for you on a 68030. It will also fix CIIN. Some of SpeedGeek's tools will. MuFastROM does it, too. It's more intricate for 68040/68060, and the library you choose may or may not do a Kickstart remap by default. You may also have a tool/feature that does it with your board and on board logic. Your choice of which you want to use.

All accelerator cards with 32-bit memory added after the OS sets up (AddMem or the onboard I/O driver does it), the remap of the lower 4K (chipRAM/CPU vector space and other low level pointers) to 32-bit memory is another performance bonus. MuMove4k can help with this. May not be important for some accelerators that have early-detect (OS) 32-bit RAM.

Needs for developer protection/detection tools, or other features, are up to the individual. Not all need them.

It's what you want to do to improve your system that determines what options are useful. Nobody should assume 1 size/setting fits all.

Last edited by thebajaguy; 10 March 2023 at 02:24.