English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 06 May 2020, 20:05   #1
stevelord

WHDLoad Games/Demos etc too fast for my 060

Hi all,

I'm trying to use WHDLoad on an A4000 with an 060/050, ZZ9000 and BigRamPlus and I'm having serious problems.

Lots of games and demos are fine for a short period but suddenly start going crazy fast, as though they've lost all concept of time.

This happens predictably on Dune for example, where the intro starts, then after a while suddenly speeds up. The music plays too quickly in the game and it makes it barely playable.

Jesus On E's has the same problem, but more randomly it'll suddenly jump like it's on fast forward.

I've upgraded to the latest WHDLoad and latest slaves. I've used NOCACHE, NOAUTOVEC, NOVBRMOVE, PAL, NTSC, the works. Everything still goes ballistic.

Any ideas on what I can do to slow the Amiga down? Or is this the curse of having an 060?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06 May 2020, 21:06   #2
daxb

I read there is a ZZ9000 config/setting/... that fix such problems. Check ZZ900 thread for details.
Old 06 May 2020, 21:11   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Sounds like in interrupt problem. Try "NoAutoVec" tooltype.
Old 06 May 2020, 21:41   #4
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I read there is a ZZ9000 config/setting/... that fix such problems. Check ZZ900 thread for details.

Do you mean this thread? If so, I can't find anything. If you mean this thread, I don't see anything relevant there either.
Old 06 May 2020, 21:42   #5
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Sounds like in interrupt problem. Try "NoAutoVec" tooltype.

I've already tried that. Sadly no joy.
Old 06 May 2020, 22:04   #6
zipper

Try switching off the caches, for instance http://aminet.net/util/wb/SystemPrefs.lha
Old 06 May 2020, 22:24   #7
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Try switching off the caches, for instance http://aminet.net/util/wb/SystemPrefs.lha

I've disabled everything I can with SystemPrefs but it still flips out. On Jesus On E's it kicks in not long after the clip from the wall plays early on.
Old 06 May 2020, 22:59   #8
kriz

What accelerator is this ? Wb 3.1.4 ?
Old 06 May 2020, 23:29   #9
stevelord

OS 3.9, A3660 with a ZZ9000, Repulse sound card and BigMemPlus.

I've switched off all things like MMUlibs CMQ060 etc so it's as vanilla as possible. Fblit is running, but I think that's about it.
Old 07 May 2020, 10:00   #10
Wepl

As StingRay already noted this sounds like an interrupt problem.
Do you have running a TCPIP-Stack?
You may also set option TRACE which will create a file called .whdl_trace and post the excerpt for the interrupts.
Old 07 May 2020, 13:20   #11
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Do you mean this thread? If so, I can't find anything. If you mean this thread, I don't see anything relevant there either.
Sorry, I can't find the source where I read it. I just wondered that that zz9000 was responsible for games running to fast. Maybe you ask mntmn about this.
Old 07 May 2020, 17:56   #12
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
As StingRay already noted this sounds like an interrupt problem.
Do you have running a TCPIP-Stack?
You may also set option TRACE which will create a file called .whdl_trace and post the excerpt for the interrupts.

It looks like disabling Roadshow does 90% of the trick. For some reason Netshutdown just hangs, but if I don't load it in the first place it's not a problem.

Again with all the caches off, I'm still getting timing issues on Jesus on E's but less obvious ones. From memory the demo effects are triggered by the soundtrack which isn't quite in sync. Later on the wrong videos start playing but I don't know if more than one version of JoE was released.

I've tried using trace on JoE but it didn't create one. F10 didn't work to escape from it, so it's possible the trace is only written on quit. I'll try to get a trace from other material.
Old 07 May 2020, 22:02   #13
Torti-the-Smurf

What about the Tooltype
ExpChip

? Maybe it help´s ? hmmm, i have no 060 so it´s just a guess. Sorry.
Old 07 May 2020, 22:35   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Try booting with no startup sequence from the early startup menu and trying WHDLoad.

That way you can be sure that NOTHING is loaded before the CLI activates and can start ruling out what is loaded in the startup-sequence/user-startup is loaded up that causes you problems.
Old 08 May 2020, 18:31   #15
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Try booting with no startup sequence from the early startup menu and trying WHDLoad.

That way you can be sure that NOTHING is loaded before the CLI activates and can start ruling out what is loaded in the startup-sequence/user-startup is loaded up that causes you problems.

Ok, I've found Dune screws up immediately rather than having to wait minutes so I thought I'd give it a go.

No caches (boot menu), no startup sequence. Commandline was:

Code:
whdload noautovec nocache trace novbrmove Dune.slave

Still sped up garbage. I've tried using SNOOP instead of TRACE as Snoop is documented but nothing seems to be written to any files either way.
Old 08 May 2020, 20:48   #16
stevelord

Some more digging, and like my head, the plot thickens.

I had a 68060.library that patched addTask() and caused virusZ to get really angry, so I swapped that out and things improved slightly. I also pruned my startup-sequence to be as close to the original OS3.9 install as possible.

With a bit more digging I've found that:

1. On cold boot, I can run Dune fine as long as RoadShow wasn't started.
2. Once RoadShow had started, if I started Dune I had the timing issue after a seemingly random period of time.
3. NetShutdown doesn't work properly on this system.
4. Once the timing issue kicks in, it persists between warm but not cold reboots. This explains why no startup-sequence boots were having the same issue.
5. If I start Roadshow, then do a warm reboot, the issue is still there.

I think the bottom line is that Roadshow may be triggering *something* that once triggered may affect something WHDLoad relies upon. I'm struggling to get any kind of logs from WHDLoad but I'll keep trying.