English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 February 2020, 23:15   #1
keithshaw3

Floppy disk Gotek floppy external drive adaptor - jumper settings?

Hi all, I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotek-Flo...72.m2749.l2649

and want to connect an internal Chinnon floppy drive as DF1: with a gotek as DF0:

I cannot get the damn thing to work or show up in workbench as DF1:, I have though got a lot of conficts and may have also fried a gotek in the process!!!

does anyone know the correct jumper settings for the adaptor and if i need to change the jumper on the floppy drive.

I would like to be able to x-copy adf to disc, I also have a dfo: switcher but cannot get the chip out to use it, I have an extractor tool but dont want to break anything, any tips?

Will post some pics tommorow if needed...

Thanks in advance
Old 08 February 2020, 12:05   #2
solarmon

What Amiga are you trying this on?
Old 08 February 2020, 13:07   #3
keithshaw3

Sorry should have said, An A500
Old 08 February 2020, 14:44   #4
keithshaw3

I also have another option if I plug an original amiga external drive into the rear disk drive slot will this work as df1: with the gotek as df0: ?
Old 08 February 2020, 14:55   #5
solarmon

If you want to make the external Gotek as DF0, then you will need a DF0/DF1 boot selector - search for them on eBay.

Also, if you are trying to connect an internal drive to an external adpater, they may not work as most adpaters won't probably be supply 12V.
Old 08 February 2020, 15:03   #6
keithshaw3

Ok thanks, and if I want to keep gotek internal df0: and use original external floppy as df1: would that work,?
Old 08 February 2020, 20:38   #7
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithshaw3 View Post
Ok thanks, and if I want to keep gotek internal df0: and use original external floppy as df1: would that work,?
Yes, that looks possible with the adapter you have linked to.
Old 08 February 2020, 22:02   #8
keithshaw3

Oh, I still need to use the adaptor with an original amiga external floppy drive(not moded in any way), will it not just show as df1: as it would if the original internal floppy was in? Or does using a gotek as df0: change this in some way?

Sorry about all the questions I'm new to this...
Old 08 February 2020, 22:12   #9
solarmon

Now I'm really confused as to what type of floppy drive (not the Gotek one) you mean . You've mentioned 'internal' and 'external' 'original' floppy drives now.

There are floppy drives that are used internally in the Amiga connected to the internal floppy disk port. Then there are external floppy drives, that are housed in enclosures (with appropriate adapters inside them) which connect to the external floppy disk port.

Please can you clarify exactly what you want to achieve. Providing some pictures, or links to pictures/products.
Old 08 February 2020, 22:17   #10
keithshaw3

Ok, so I plan to have my gotek internal connected to the motherboard and an external drive in an enclosure connected to the port at the rear, I also have an internal drive that I can connect to the rear port with that adaptor which was the original plan but I could not get it to work so have purchased the drive in the enclosure because I'm impatient

Edit. I also have a df0: selector to add once both drives are working

Last edited by keithshaw3; 08 February 2020 at 22:24.
Old 08 February 2020, 22:22   #11
keithshaw3

Sorry not at home at the moment to provide pics..
Old 08 February 2020, 22:56   #12
solarmon

For the Gotek as internal DF0 - make sure it is jumpered for S0. And make sure you get the 5V/12V power orientation correct, otherwise you will fry your gotek.

What firmware are you using for the Gotek? Is it already working as expected?

The external enclosure floppy drive shouldn't need any changes as it should be already wired for DF1.

For the Chinon drive as DF1 connected to the adapter, the adapter needs to be set to AM and for DF1. The Chinon drive itself should already be jumpered for S0, but you shouldn't have to change - as that is what the jumper on the adapter is for. I also assume the adapter is providing both 5V and 12V too. However, I have not used this adapter so I am just guessing.
Old 08 February 2020, 23:01   #13
keithshaw3

That's great, thank you for the explanation, I'm going to go with the drive in the enclosure and keep the old internal drive for a backup as it's working fine.
Old 08 February 2020, 23:04   #14
keithshaw3

I think I fried the last gotek (another on the way) as above but was working fine before with the latest firmware.