English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2005, 00:14   #1
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

FFS/SFS/General Hard Drive Woes

(I did originally post something similar to this over on the SWAG mailing list, so apologies if you're already read it)

I've got an Amiga 1200 with 68030@50mhz, 32 megs of expansion RAM, and am running OS3.9.

I seem to be encountering some major problems with a 25 gig Maxtor hard drive.

I've partitioned the drive into 4 separate partitions, and originally formatted them using FFS. However, I'd forgotten just how poor the wonderful Amiga disk file system was, and I must have looked at the machine in a funny way once or twice as I keep getting block errors, and even finding partitions uninitialized.

Thinking that this was shoddy FFS at work I installed SFS. I've copied the SFS file into L: and when I load-up HD Toolbox I've added this as another file system to the list. I then partition one of the partitions with SFS.

Next, I reboot and try and `quick format`. When I do this the icon name changes to `busy`, but nothing else seems to happen.

If I re-boot and try a normal complete format the formatting gets to various different percentages before stopping.

I'm pretty sure the drive itself isn't at fault as it's not long come out of a PC where it was working without any problems at all.

Any pointers/suggestions would really, really be apprciated as I'm currently pulling out what hair I have left.

Kind regards,

Rob
Old 28 September 2005, 00:45   #2
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Ah, ignore this.

Found the answer here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9910

Rob