English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 August 2014, 19:53   #1
britain4

1200 hard disk light with compact flash

I have one of the compact flash adapters that lights up out of the box - the red LED on the adapter flashes as it should with hard disk activity. Unfortunately the hard disk light in my Amiga still doesn't flash. Obviously it is not a major problem but is very annoying - anyone have any suggestions where to go with getting it working?

Thanks!

Update: plugged a laptop IDE hard drive into it which spins up and sounds like it is accessing something but the disk light never lights just the same (I don't know if it should or not in this situation)

Last edited by britain4; 21 August 2014 at 20:31.
Old 21 August 2014, 20:48   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by britain4 View Post
I have one of the compact flash adapters that lights up out of the box - the red LED on the adapter flashes as it should with hard disk activity. Unfortunately the hard disk light in my Amiga still doesn't flash. Obviously it is not a major problem but is very annoying - anyone have any suggestions where to go with getting it working?

Thanks!

Update: plugged a laptop IDE hard drive into it which spins up and sounds like it is accessing something but the disk light never lights just the same (I don't know if it should or not in this situation)
Check the led board for a broken wire or dry joint.
Old 21 August 2014, 21:14   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Isn't it the case that some adapters need the little wire solder fix between to points - there is s thread on EAB discussing this some where - I had to do it on one of mine to get the Amiga HD Light to work.
Old 21 August 2014, 22:29   #4
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35893
Old 21 August 2014, 23:29   #5
britain4

Thanks for the replies. I have seen that existing thread on this but as far as I can tell it concerns adapters on which neither the red LED on the adapter nor the Amiga's hard disk light work? On mine the red one does but the Amiga one doesn't.

Forgot to say I had also modded a different CF adapter where neither LED was working with the same result - adapter lights up, Amiga doesn't.

Thanks
Old 21 August 2014, 23:36   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Then it's probably a cold solder join on the LED PCB, if you have an iron and some flux re-flow them with a dab of new solder
Old 21 August 2014, 23:59   #7
britain4

Thanks for the reply! I've done as you suggested and also continuity tested it - no dice :-(

Some probing with a multimeter (and temporarily rewiring the HDD LED to the floppy LED) has revealed my HDD LED is indeed kaput. I'll either bodge it up with another LED or find a replacement board.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by britain4; 22 August 2014 at 00:21.