English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 August 2002, 11:08   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Most underrated games?

I'm sure you've all been there.. you buy a game, you love it and play for hours, however few seem to have heard of it and even less seem to like it.
A few ones I can think of:
-Uninvited. Most people remember Deja Vu from ICOM, but this is by far my favorite of their adventure games. Creepy atmosphere (at least for a 14 year old), excellent puzzles.
-Projectyle. Fantastic futuristic air hockey-type sports game, I have yet to play against another human though
-Benefactor. Every review I read about it said it was a terrible game.. am I the only one who enjoyed it?
-Manhunter New York & San Fransisco. Unfortunately, they were considered inferior to other Sierra releases due to poor graphics and crap arcade sequences. I thought the stories were some of the best I've seen, and the puzzles some of the most innovative. Easily better than any of the 'quests'.
Old 06 August 2002, 11:33   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

I like Benefactor
Old 06 August 2002, 11:55   #3
Walker

Uninvited (and Shadowgate) were great games, I think.

I just couldn't enjoy Benefactor though. It's something about the gameplay in general that isn't right for me.

I agree on the Manhunter games. Remove the action sequences and both games are really great.

Another Sierra dark horse (for me, that is) is "Colonel's Bequest". Most people gave it up after half an hour, but I thought the atmosphere and the story were great. Far better than Cruise For A Corpse" in my opinion. In both games you had to complete certain tasks (talk to somebody, listen to a conversation etc) before the story continued, but I found the story in CFAC very strange. I finished it just because I had no other adventure games to play at that moment.

Pure text adventure games never got enough attention. Not just the games from Infocom, but also some of the games from Level 9 for example. "Knight Orc" has always been one of my favourite adventure games.
Old 06 August 2002, 12:35   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

What I didn't like about Colonel's Bequest was that, unlike Cruise for a Corpse, you could complete it having missed huge parts of the plot. The game just lets you play through it even if you solve practically no puzzles. Some would say it gives the game a replay value, but I never liked real time aspects in adventure games.
Old 06 August 2002, 23:43   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Although CADAVER is quite well known by most, Im the only person I know who seriously got into it! This always suprised me as its a superb games with some really well thought out puzzles.
Old 07 August 2002, 06:06   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I LOVE Benefactor... it's probably one of my 10 favourite amiga games. It's also probably the most underrated game ever on Amiga.

A collection of games I always found underrated were the soccer games from Audiogenic. For me, they were pretty good, but I can't remember anyone who enjoyed them (European Champions or Lothar Mathaaus Fuzzball, for example)
Old 07 August 2002, 06:16   #7
Amiga1992

Benefactor rocks. It's a great game and I love it very much! Dunno why the mags slagged it. The One gave it a decent score methinks.
Old 07 August 2002, 11:31   #8
Drake1009

One game I haven't seen around much but which I thought was quite entertaining was Globdule.

And Bob's bad day is a game I never even heard of before I downloaded it at random from Pyrodex.

Light corridor and Psyborg are two other very enjoyable games which I had no idea existed back in the good old days when Amiga owners could laugh at the Pathetic Ccomputer. Both games I didn't really see spread much across the internet either.
Old 07 August 2002, 18:31   #9
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
Maybe there are different tastes in different countrys. Benefactor for example got a 'very good' in the mag i had read. The same applies to Ambermoon which hit the german market like a bomb but got worse results in english mags. On the other hand some weird football manager that were liked in UK got very bad verdicts in Germany.
Old 07 August 2002, 21:36   #10
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
-Indy Heat
-World Class Leader Board (golf)
-Indianapolis 500
-Micromachines
-Lupo Alberto
Old 07 August 2002, 21:42   #11
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

i'm not sure how high or low wicked was rated at, but i don't think it was rated too great but i love it, theres just something about it that grabbed me from the 1st day i played it and years later i'm still trying to finish it (with no cheating)
Old 07 August 2002, 21:52   #12
Bloodwych

Don't even get me started in this thread!

Bloodwych is THE MOST UNDERRATED GAME OF ALL TIME!!!

What makes things worse is that people who've never played it before judge the game on it's looks and usually have a quick play in one player mode only, made worse by them using a mouse.

Then unfairly they claim it's crap. It makes me SOOO MAD!

If they'd played the game back in 1989 with a friend, a time when they were still motivated to leave an Amiga game running for longer than 2 minutes, Bloodwych would been one of the all time classics lined up alongside all the other legendary games.
Old 07 August 2002, 21:57   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
One game I haven't seen around much but which I thought was quite entertaining was Globdule.

And Bob's bad day is a game I never even heard of before I downloaded it at random from Pyrodex.
Two great games. Though Bob's gets repetitive. Globdule is wicked.
Old 08 August 2002, 05:57   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think Globdule is ok. Nothing great.

But Bob's Bad Day is really VERY COOL.

Light Corridor is the conversion of the arcade game Xain'd Sleena, isn't? If it is, I HATE that game a lot..

Indy Heat, Indianapolis 500 and Micro Machines can't be considered underrated games, as all received good reviews.

What about New York Warriors? That's a game I never even heard ANYONE talking about, and it's a game I always enjoyed to play. Hell, even my SISTER liked it!

Seek And Destroy only received average reviews, but I think it's an EXCELLENT game, with lots of adrenaline-pumping action.

The One rated Benefactor 85% , by the way
Old 08 August 2002, 06:56   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Seek And Destroy only received average reviews, but I think it's an EXCELLENT game, with lots of adrenaline-pumping action.
The One rated Benefactor 85% , by the way
I almost always agreed with the ratings given by The One, that's why it kept being my preferred games mag.

Seek and Destroy turned a bit repetitive, but it was fine. I enjoyed the demo very much until i got hold of the full game!
Old 08 August 2002, 07:56   #16
alkis21
Zone Friend

Now I'm intrigued..

More info on Psyborg and Lupo Alberto please?
Old 08 August 2002, 12:30   #17
Drake1009

Psyborg... 3D "racing". you fly down a straight track with different tiles. The levels can have 3-8 walls (as far as I remember). Sometimes the "floor" tiles are removed (often) leaving you to rotate the screen to always keep firm ground underneath you. Wicked speeds even on an A500, evil time limit and strange tile effects make this game a good play in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.gif
Views:	492
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	3265  
Old 08 August 2002, 12:33   #18
Drake1009

Lupo Alberto...
Typical platform game featuring a wolf (can't remember player 2). Jump on enemies, complete the levels. Not much apart from a classic platformer. But back at a friend's house I had a lot of fun 2 playering. The 2 player simultaneously was great fun, and something you don't see often in platformers (actually I don't recall any other Amiga platformers like that apart from naughty ones).

I believe the game is based on a comic strip. Definately worth a play or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.gif
Views:	478
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	3266  
Old 08 August 2002, 12:40   #19
alkis21
Zone Friend

Thanks for the info Drake. I don't care much for vector graphics but I'll give Lupo Alberto a try as I really like these Super Wonderboy-like platformers.
Other 2-player Amiga platformers: Global Gladiators, Rodland, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow islands, Parasol stars, Qwack, hmm.. there's another one but I can't remember the title, a Chuck Rock clone.
Old 08 August 2002, 13:47   #20
Tim Janssen

Post About Bloodwych

@Bloodwych,

I always had the impression Bloodwych - The game was received very well at the time. Zzap! never reviewed the original game but awarded the data disc with a score of 88%. The game also saw a review in CU Amiga, October 1989, and earned a Screenstar with a score of 86%. Here is the review taken from my soon-to-be-announced website:

This is exactly what the games world has been crying out for, and is what A500 owners have been desperate to get their hands on for a long time. In short, a glimpse at the screen shots will tell you this, Bloodwych is a one or SIMULTANEOUS two player Amiga version of Dungeon Master.
The Bloodwych are - or were - some of the most powerful beings in the universe. A group of immortal mages, they were all powerful guardians until the world was taken over by a twisted entity called Zendick, who didn't hold with the Bloodwych's philanthropy. After spending many years studying the dark arts, he turned upon the Bloodwych and destroyed them. Using magical crystals, he summonsed the Lord of Chaos, whom he foolishly believed would allow him to recreate the world in the way he wanted.
Many years of great mourning have passed. Zendick has been in power for far too long. The immortal Bloodwych decides that the time has come to call Zendick to task. You, a Bloodwych, and three recruits, must travel through the concrete mazes of McGrane, battle the bad guys, solve all the puzzles and steal the crystals from Zendick.
The game looks like DM and plays like it, too. Controls consist of a pointer and lots of little icons. At the right hand side of the screen are all the controls for casting spells, opening doors and manipulating inventories. On the left hand side are pictorial representations of your party, plus a record of any battle damage that may have been incurred.
Bloodwych seems to be far more varied than DM ever was. The further you get into the game, the more depth you realise it has. One thing that has been salvaged from DM is its logical element. Every puzzle can be solved if thought out logically, which makes it much more fun than a trial and errory jobby.
A deep and involving one player game. A deep, involving and highly competitive two-player game. A thumbs up deserved if ever there was.
Tony Dillon
Graphics 86%
Sound 78%
Playability 87%
Lastability 89%
Overall: 86%