English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 January 2009, 22:08   #1
Gaula92

How can I run WinUAE with high priority?

It seems winUAE sets itself to the priority specified in the config file, but 1 seems to be "above normal"...
How can I set winUAE to start in High priority?
Launching it with start /high doesn't help with winUAE (but it does with MAME, for example, wich I happily run in realtime priority every day).

Thanks!
Old 22 January 2009, 22:13   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
It seems winUAE sets itself to the priority specified in the config file, but 1 seems to be "above normal"...
How can I set winUAE to start in High priority?
Launching it with start /high doesn't help with winUAE (but it does with MAME, for example, wich I happily run in realtime priority every day).

Thanks!
From past experience setting anything to High Priority can cause problems. Im guessing this is why you cant select it, plus you should'nt need to set it to high priority.

If you really want to force it as high priority, then use Task Manager in windows to set the process as high priority.
Old 22 January 2009, 22:17   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well you can do it manually via the Task Manager. Click on the WinUAE process, then right click and change the priority, but like FOL said I don't really see the point.

Edit : Too slow
Old 22 January 2009, 22:55   #4
Gaula92

I meant start it in high priority. Windows has the odd habit of write/read from hd his obscure stuff while I'm playing, and it causes slowdowns.
Setting it manually is a pain: I run winUAE in full screen mode and it's the only windows app I run at once.

So...there is no way to start it with high priority from the begining? Other emus avoid slowdowns that way... I just don't multitask in windows, anyway.
Old 22 January 2009, 22:57   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If it slows down... switch off your AV software. Just recently I've noticed that 99.99% of all slow downs are caused by AVG etc.
Old 22 January 2009, 23:11   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
So...there is no way to start it with high priority from the begining? Other emus avoid slowdowns that way... I just don't multitask in windows, anyway.
Well you can use 'start /high WinUAE.exe' or even 'start /realtime WinUAE.exe' for your shortcut. I somehow doubt this will fix your issues, but here you go
Old 23 January 2009, 17:27   #7
Gaula92

start /high winuae.exe doesn't work: winuae sets it's own priority upon start.
I found the solution, a 35kb commandline program called process util 2.03.
It lets me change priority of running apps, so I launch winuae and set it's priority, all in a rowm in the same batch file. Now winUAE runs realtime priority on my eeebox, at 50 FUCKING HERTZS AT LAST, syncronized with screen refresh, etc....

and I don't use AV software: I shit on AV software, and I hope the worst for the AV programmers. AV software is pure bloat, unnecessary for me: I NEVER connect to internet from Windows, you've to be crazy for that: Windows (my personal pirated and small install) is only good for emulation: nothing more. It's a HAL for my emulation needs on the eeebox. It's not an OS for me.
If driver support for GMA90 on Linux would be good enough to get 50HZ V-SYNCED graphics (it is NOT), I would happily dump that piece if shit windows is, and use my little linux kernel instead. But that's not the case.

Thanks to those who tried to help me!
Old 23 January 2009, 17:34   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Maybe Process Lasso will help?