English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 September 2020, 10:03   #261
str0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
What is the fastest 68K quake version that has support for extended map size etc..?
While vanilla quake is nice for nostalgia most new maps produced by the community for the last 15 years or so really require a pimped up engine as opposed to the vanilla engine.

So ok, tweaking the fps on the Amiga for historical/nostalgical purposes is a thing, but wouldn't it be nice if you could play something else than timedemo ;-)

Btw @Str0m, this is another fella that likes to hurt himself ;-)
[ Show youtube player ]
(Quake on a 386)

That was way quicker than my 030 50mhz CD32. Definitely playable on that 386!!
Old 30 September 2020, 12:52   #262
James

Quote:
What is the fastest 68K quake version that has support for extended map size etc..?
Cowcat's blitzquake engine requires 3D hardware that most still don't have, apart from that I only know of the experimental Quakefpcoord that came with Qbreed, and I'm not sure that works at all.

http://aminet.net/package/game/data/Qbreed

Quote:
While vanilla quake is nice for nostalgia most new maps produced by the community for the last 15 years or so really require a pimped up engine as opposed to the vanilla engine.
That is only really true of more recent years, you would be surprised how many newer maps and mods still run on vanilla. Larger maps are also more demanding so until the Vampire gets 3D support it's not really possible outside of emulation, or the lucky few that can use a Voodoo3.

Quote:
So ok, tweaking the fps on the Amiga for historical/nostalgical purposes is a thing, but wouldn't it be nice if you could play something else than timedemo ;-)
Hopefully this will change when I finally release my Quake collection.
Coming soon!
Old 30 September 2020, 13:17   #263
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Cowcat's blitzquake engine requires 3D hardware that most still don't have, apart from that I only know of the experimental Quakefpcoord that came with Qbreed, and I'm not sure that works at all.

That is only really true of more recent years, you would be surprised how many newer maps and mods still run on vanilla. Larger maps are also more demanding so until the Vampire gets 3D support it's not really possible outside of emulation, or the lucky few that can use a Voodoo3.

Coming soon!
Don't wanna hijack this AmiQuake thread - and I love AmiQUake for what it is . kudos to Novacoder for his work.. really!
...but yea, Cowcat was actually very helpful by testing my maps on his engine.
One of my small testmaps worked but the bigger maps I've released DEFINITELY don't run. (Download here if you're curious)
https://www.exretro.com/downloads/qmaps/qmaps_dl.html

But its not due to some fancy OpenGL features or other blending tricks.. Its mostly due to map size and number of brushes/objects etc. There are some early Quake engines that removed mostly those limits, but not necessarily adding moderns stuff that would require 3d accelerators.
Tbh it would probably be easier to optimize a Quake2 port and Novacoder actually proved its possible, but really, right now it really limits the userbase to those with highly overclocked 060s. (~100MHz) Luckily, if the Warp 1260 picks up and we get a larger user base of 100MHz 060 ppl AND RTG then Q2 could be the way to go forward for more complex maps.
Old 01 October 2020, 07:32   #264
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Sarcasm aside, the 386 DX40 can absolutely do much better than that. Easily 150-300% better framerate, assuming the nonsensical FPU code would be ported to Integer (and single pipe). Abrash himself confessed FP is expensive, and was chosen mostly to save money by not having to mess with fixed-point math, because "hey, why bother if it's there?".

I find it criminally offensive that iD didn't hire some random dude off the street 3 months before the end of the project to port the most critical parts of the pipeline to hand-optimized Integer single-pipeline codepath.

It wouldn't take him more than 6 months, for sure. Just imagine the heaps of cash they were swimming in.

Even if they were cheap, there is no scenario where they would approach the publisher and say -"look, we wanna go play with next-gen tech, but if you hire some dude for 3-6 months, you will get more sales from 486 segment" with the said publisher saying "nah, not worth the $30k".

Not to mention that everybody and their cat was fluent in ASM those days. You could literally go to a supermarket, pick random dude from the crowd and he could do it.

Just
Old 10 October 2020, 03:31   #265
abu_the_monkey

Quote:

Coming soon!
With regards to the experimental Quakefpcoord included with Qbreed on Aminet, I had exactly ZERO feedback as to if it worked for anyone other than me, on my setup at the time. it should allow for a larger map in terms of play area, but, it does not improve on the amount of stuff (brushes/entities) that the original could handle.

br
Old 10 October 2020, 10:58   #266
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
With regards to the experimental Quakefpcoord included with Qbreed on Aminet, I had exactly ZERO feedback as to if it worked for anyone other than me, on my setup at the time. it should allow for a larger map in terms of play area, but, it does not improve on the amount of stuff (brushes/entities) that the original could handle.

br
Howdy @abu_the_monkey, only 9 years later I read the readme for v0.4

Says:
Todo: compile a Quake replacement engine with extended coord system for 68k amigas (works but needs work)

history

v0.4 11/11 forth upload containing a new (experimental) game engine based on Quake68k by Frank Wille, (which requires MUI and a 68040/060) has extended coords thanks to code from John Fitz

It sucks to not get feedback you spend time on something but was there ever any further development of this experimental engine?
For the record, I asked this same question 6 years ago, and YouTube proves it :-)
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 October 2020, 22:53   #267
eXeler0

Around xmas I usually mess around with Trenchbroom and make Quake maps,
I's really want to do one that works with AmiQuake. (Or at least the Breed Engine)

What are the limits in AmiQuake for the following:
*Map size in units:
Number of...
*faces
*marksurfaces
*visleafs
*models
*lightmaps
byte packet
visedicts

Or could I simply look at the values listed under "Normal limit"?
https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Engine_Limits

NVM Ill just assume its *identical* to whatever limits winquake 1.09 has ;-))

Last edited by eXeler0; 13 October 2020 at 08:28. Reason: Link added
Old 16 October 2020, 22:11   #268
abu_the_monkey

@eXeler0

I have just uploaded the most recent build of the 68k Quake engine I modified for Qbreed. it should show up in a day or so if i did it right (its been a long time)

also here is a screen shot of the map you linked in your post running on it (in winuae) seems to work ok.

br
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.png
Views:	217
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	69362  
Old 17 October 2020, 04:41   #269
kriz

Nice, its online now:http://aminet.net/package/game/data/Qbreed
Old 17 October 2020, 05:01   #270
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
I saw that many years ago (looks like 7 years ago) and posted this comment:
"As a comparison, I run a timedemo on my Commodore Amiga 1200 with 68030/68882 50MHz (the CPU is comparable to 386s) and I got 1.46FPS"

I did it to test my new 50MHz FPU.
Old 17 October 2020, 11:50   #271
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
@eXeler0

I have just uploaded the most recent build of the 68k Quake engine I modified for Qbreed. it should show up in a day or so if i did it right (its been a long time)

also here is a screen shot of the map you linked in your post running on it (in winuae) seems to work ok.

br

I tested Quake Breed and I must say it has a nice graphic look, lights and transparency.

The engine is a bit unstable on some configurations with GURU 800000004/80000000B works better on RTG Screens even if every now and then a Guru appears.

Video Test with AfA One 1024x768: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qc3...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 October 2020 at 12:00.
Old 17 October 2020, 14:48   #272
eXeler0

Quote:
@eXeler0

br
Wow, this is great!
Old 26 October 2020, 18:17   #273
James

Quote:
I have just uploaded the most recent build of the 68k Quake engine I modified for Qbreed.
Wow, this is a nice surprise, apart from increased map sizes, the fullscreen HUD and viewable player model in chase mode make this the best looking software Quake engine on the Amiga.
Frikbot PerQuake, Quake1Arena and Codename Envenom all work really well.
Shame that the crashes mentioned by AMIGASYSTEM have prevented me running some mods so far (like the Quake 2 mod).
The only other problem I've noticed is that models disappear when over liquids.
Old 26 October 2020, 18:52   #274
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Wow, this is a nice surprise, apart from increased map sizes, the fullscreen HUD and viewable player model in chase mode make this the best looking software Quake engine on the Amiga.
Frikbot PerQuake, Quake1Arena and Codename Envenom all work really well.
Shame that the crashes mentioned by AMIGASYSTEM have prevented me running some mods so far (like the Quake 2 mod).
The only other problem I've noticed is that models disappear when over liquids.
It rocks, it really does. Very enjoyable gameplay in UAE. I've been playing it for months and through at least 2 revisions of AmiQuake itself.
Old 27 October 2020, 22:42   #275
abu_the_monkey

@AMIGASYSTEM, glad it works for others, its nice to know . as for the guru not sure what's going on there... does it happen at random or is it always at the same point?

@James, glad you like it . is there a map you can recommend that shows the glitches you have observed. i have only really used the engine for Qbreed so not tested it extensively at all.

br
Old 28 October 2020, 00:40   #276
NovaCoder

Quote:
@AMIGASYSTEM, glad it works for others, its nice to know . as for the guru not sure what's going on there... does it happen at random or is it always at the same point?

Not being funny but this thread is meant for Amiquake discussions and issues, it's better if you create a new thread to discuss your own Quake engine updates.

Thanks
Old 28 October 2020, 01:02   #277
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Not being funny but this thread is meant for Amiquake discussions and issues, it's better if you create a new thread to discuss your own Quake engine updates.

Thanks
yeah, my bad. i did think that after my first post...

your work ROCKS by the by.

br
Old 28 October 2020, 01:19   #278
NovaCoder

Quote:
yeah, my bad. i did think that after my first post...

your work ROCKS by the by.

br
Thanks mate, good luck with your updates
Old 03 November 2020, 18:31   #279
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post

Thanks
Sorry NovaCoder, have started a new thread here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104542
Old 03 December 2020, 22:12   #280
DungeonMaster85

What is a recommended screen mode to set for picasso96. I always get errors saying that it can't find the correct screen mode, and it won't start :-(