English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 02 June 2019, 17:38   #1
Clark Kent

Joystick second fire button?

Is there a possibility to define a second fire button and map the UP to this button? I really hate moving up to jump if I have a gamepad with many buttons (8bit do)...
Old 02 June 2019, 18:24   #2
DanyPPC

Why don't use a Kipper PSX adapter, it has the function you require.
Old 02 June 2019, 18:44   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

you can do that, but the best is to use modified versions of games with proper button fix, depending on the level etc, else if you cancel UP, some games sections which require UP (and not jump) won't work properly (ex: Jim Power, Superfrog)

Better use whdload patches: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68797
Old 02 June 2019, 20:26   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Please note, FS-UAE already does this for you when the gamepad is recognized (if not, you can tell FS-UAE about the layout in Launcher Settings).

The "east" button is mapped to joystick up ("south" is the fire button, and "west" is secondary fire).

@jotd This does not cause issues with games, dpad up is still (also) mapped to amiga joystick up.
Old 02 June 2019, 20:38   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

it's better than nothing, I guess.

But in some games, the problem of using UP is when the character jumps when you just want to fire up (ex: Toki: if not pressing fire before pressing UP, the character jumps and dies instead of aiming at the birds). The proper way is to change code so up does nothing (except on ladders, when swimming...), and button2 does the job (but doesn't do anything when on ladders, when swimming...)
Old 03 June 2019, 07:44   #6
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Is there a possibility to define a second fire button and map the UP to this button? I really hate moving up to jump if I have a gamepad with many buttons (8bit do)...
First of all, second (and more) button is used in some games. Maybe You don't know about this, so look on this topic. And if You have possibility of this, use WHDLoad - many games have already patches for second button.

If You have gamepad with many buttons maybe consider config it as CD32 joypad? See on list mentioned above, some games have CD32 joypad support.

So if you want to be fully compatible, remapped up buttons should be eight (!) button, because CD32 joypad use seven buttons.

JOTD mention that some games have more usage of up than just jump. Not to mention that in some games up is not a jump, and some games have more buttons support. It end with individual configs for some games, better look if there is more buttons support already (WHDLoad or not).

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 03 June 2019 at 07:51.
Old 03 June 2019, 09:41   #7
majinga

I can suggest you the USB adapter from sampedenawa:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95292

It can be used also for usb mouse, and it map also the DOWN direction to one of the buttons, it can be useful for example in racing games for brakes.
With this adapter you can have a 2 button pad, + UP and DOWN mapped to other buttons.

Or, I have this version of the MD adapter of SukkoPera, it's a simple adapter but it work well, and it can be used on the A600, or with the C64.
https://github.com/screwbreaker/Open...rivePadAdapter
Old 03 June 2019, 10:10   #8
Solo Kazuki

@Majinga

You probably miss this, but it's about emulation of Amiga...

And there are more useful USB->DB9 adapters e.g. with CD32 joypad emulation.
Old 03 June 2019, 11:27   #9
majinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
@Majinga

You probably miss this, but it's about emulation of Amiga...

And there are more useful USB->DB9 adapters e.g. with CD32 joypad emulation.

Yup, I completely miss it. I didn't checked the forum section :P
Sorry!
Old 03 June 2019, 13:32   #10
Clark Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Please note, FS-UAE already does this for you when the gamepad is recognized (if not, you can tell FS-UAE about the layout in Launcher Settings).

The "east" button is mapped to joystick up ("south" is the fire button, and "west" is secondary fire).

@jotd This does not cause issues with games, dpad up is still (also) mapped to amiga joystick up.
My joypad is recognized as 8bit do - but no second firebutton as far as I noticed while playing. Which setting in the GUI do I have to check?
Old 03 June 2019, 16:01   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

BTW DB9->USB only work for 2-button joystick. Extra CD32 joypad buttons can't/aren't supported (source: Toni himself)

Best way on emulation: classical USB SNES-like joypad. You can change the color of the buttons to match original ones.
Old 03 June 2019, 16:36   #12
Clark Kent

As you were! I didn't notice the menu in the settings in the top left menu. I can see my controller there and I can program the corresponding buttons. So problem solved!

It would really be nice to have a simple documentation for FS UAE - there are so many things I do not know...

Last edited by Clark Kent; 03 June 2019 at 16:51.
Old 04 June 2019, 20:17   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
BTW DB9->USB only work for 2-button joystick. Extra CD32 joypad buttons can't/aren't supported (source: Toni himself)
When did I say that? Most likely when I said that, there wasn't any adapters that supported CD32 pad. It does not mean they can't exist today.. (and they do seem to exist)
Old 04 June 2019, 20:26   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Seems like. Haven't seen fully assembled kits for sale though.

http://www.onyxsoft.se/joydivision.html
Old 04 June 2019, 20:52   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Sorry Toni. Of course it's possible, I'm stupid... but not with the retroplay adapter. So not available yet, as the makers of such interfaces didn't care too much about the CD32 pad.

They figured that if you need a joypad, just get a native USB one. But if one exists, that's cool. I still think that CD32 controllers are inferior to USB pads you can by for 10 euros. The exception being the fine KTRLCD32.