English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 February 2016, 22:04   #1
kratam

Real Amiga 1200 Hard Drive Problem

Good Evening,

Sorry for this, I know this topic has been hashed out numerous time but I can't for the life of me decipher an answer due to my noob-like brain.

I have an Amiga 1200 drive a Tidbit 60 hard drive and would like to access it in Winuae via my generic USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE connector.

When it is connected the drive is picked up by Windows 10. I ran Winuae but the drive just showed up as Access Denied.

I ran Winuae as administrator with "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE\winuae.exe" -disableharddrivesafetycheck and the drive disappeared from the list of drives.

Please could some lend me a hand with this as I don't know where to turn now. The main reason to connect it was to create a backup hardfile in winuae.

Thanks for your time.

p.s. the drive works perfectly on the Amiga 1200.
Old 16 February 2016, 22:27   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Windows can not protect or put restrictions on a volume that is not formatted NTFS, volume of a native Amiga OS Windows can not do this.

You perhaps have restrictions on USB ports? pen drives are mounted perfectly?, you tried a different USB Case?
Old 16 February 2016, 22:40   #3
kratam

As far as I am aware I don't have any restrictions in place. USB Hard drives and USB pen drives show up as Access Denied. I tried and earier version of Winuae, this version did not show the drives as access denied but when I tried to create a hardfile it came up with the error message "winuae hard drive image file creation failed error code 1:0"
Old 16 February 2016, 23:07   #4
Zeph

Why are you running the extra command line argument, it should be enough just to run as administrator?
Old 16 February 2016, 23:56   #5
kratam

I removed the extra command line argument and ran as administrator, the drive is still missing under administrator.

Older posts said to add extra argument.
Old 17 February 2016, 00:08   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratam View Post
Older posts said to add extra argument.
Current versions of WinUAE no longer require the -disableharddrivesafetycheck command line argument.
Old 17 February 2016, 10:50   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does the drive appear in Windows Disk Management correctly? Correct model strings and correct size? Most (all?) USB adapters don't work properly with "too old" drives. (Model string is corrupted, drive capacity is shown as zero bytes etc..)
Old 17 February 2016, 11:09   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
As far as I am aware I don't have any restrictions in place. USB Hard drives and USB pen drives show up as Access Denied.
I was referring to the Windows side, with File Explorer well see the contents of a Flash Drive or external HD?
Old 17 February 2016, 11:49   #9
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Current versions of WinUAE no longer require the -disableharddrivesafetycheck command line argument.
Weirdly enough you can see that the argument _did_ make a difference for the OP (the OS drive showed as ACCESS DENIED without it, then was instead accessible when using the argument), which then begs the question... which version of WinUAE is the OP using?
Old 18 February 2016, 12:09   #10
kratam

I'm using the latest version, 3.2.2

I'm going to get a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE cable an put it in one of my older computers.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 18 February 2016, 12:20   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Strange that it doesn't show RDB for the drive considering it's Amiga Formatted.

All the Amiga drives show up as RDB.
All the cleaned drives show up as UNK.
Old 18 February 2016, 12:57   #12
Zeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Weirdly enough you can see that the argument _did_ make a difference for the OP (the OS drive showed as ACCESS DENIED without it, then was instead accessible when using the argument), which then begs the question... which version of WinUAE is the OP using?
No, it was displayed while running in user mode but then disappeared when run as an administrator?
Old 19 February 2016, 17:25   #13
kratam

The drive was displayed in user mode, then when I right clicked on the winuae icon and ran as administrator the drive disappeared.
Old 20 February 2016, 11:38   #14
teppic

I had this problem with my old Amiga drive. My IDE-USB enclosure didn't seem to support older drives, the drive would show up in Windows but I couldn't read from it. I used a cheap IDE-SATA converter from ebay instead, and was able to access the drive without a problem.

This wasn't a Windows or WinUAE problem - I booted into Linux and in the system messages saw that the USB enclosure simply couldn't understand the drive, even though it could see it.
Old 25 February 2016, 10:08   #15
sigma63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Strange that it doesn't show RDB for the drive considering it's Amiga Formatted.

All the Amiga drives show up as RDB.
All the cleaned drives show up as UNK.
To which controller on the real Amiga is/was this drive connected?
IIRC there were controllers (GVP IDE?) which did a Byte-Swap and therefore couldn't be detected as RDB/Amiga.
Old 25 February 2016, 10:34   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Byteswapped data is automatically detected. (AdIDE is another controller that byteswaps)
Old 29 February 2016, 15:02   #17
kratam

I've just tried a ide-sata board that I bought on ebay for £4. The drive is still not recognised in winuae. However, when I load up disk management Disk 1 is present but it is asking me to initialise the disk. I know not to do this as it will wipe it.

I think I'm going to try something else. I have a PCMCIA CF Card from Amigakit with a 4GB CF card, does anyone know if you can create a backup of the drive to the CF card? And the steps needed to do it.

Thanks
Old 29 February 2016, 15:08   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I've just tried a ide-sata board that I bought on ebay for £4. The drive is still not recognised in winuae. However, when I load up disk management Disk 1 is present but it is asking me to initialise the disk. I know not to do this as it will wipe it.
Don't initialize it. It would overwrite Amiga partition table.

You still haven't said if disk size is correctly reported in disk management. Wrong or zero size is most common side-effect when drive or adapter is incompatible.

Then run winuae as admin, click "add harddrive"-button, quit, attach winuaebootlog.txt.
Old 29 February 2016, 15:11   #19
kratam

I had a look at the drive with selfimage and also winimage, the drive is showing as 0KB in selfimage and in winimage I can see the drive but it throws up an error when I try to image it.
Old 29 February 2016, 15:17   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I had ancient drive that refused to work with adapters. It only worked properly if it was connected to old PC mainboard's IDE connector and transfer mode was forced to PIO0 in BIOS. (I think it must have had firmware bug(s) or something because any faster mode failed to work..)