English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 October 2017, 16:57   #1
Warlord

Amiga 2000 repair

Hi,
I've just joined as I'm starting to repair a rev 6.2 motherboard. I've been interested in Commodores for many years and thought it'd be interesting to learn to repair them.

Once I practise soldering I will be re-capping it, I have read it is not as needed as other models but it's good practise for me to do it, and the peace of mind. The good news is that the battery leakage has eaten a small amount of the soldermask but the traces seem good after I cleaned it up. so i don't have to learn trace repair yet.

I do have a question, these is a second socket between the cpu and the socket of the monherboard, there is a monolithic capacitor(I think) between pins 12 and 14. I guess this is either a temp fix or a mod. does anyone have an idea which?
Thanks.
Richard

Old 21 October 2017, 16:40   #2
rkidd7952

Some Golden Gate bridgeboards needed an adaptor like this - http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...ct.aspx?id=349

Recapping my 2000 markedly improved its stability. Through-hole capacitors have a better reputation than the early SMD ones, but they can eventually fail. The visual evidence of a leak can be pretty subtle, but you can definitely tell from the odor once you start desoldering.

I recommend practicing desoldering as well, if you didn't have that in mind. There's a learning curve to it to figure out what techniques work for your set of tools on different types of connections. I certainly damaged my share of eyelets on my first attempts. Be sure to practice both on connections to single traces and on connections to heavy ground planes.

Good luck!
Robert
Old 28 October 2017, 18:09   #3
Warlord

Great, thanks.

I've been practising. At the moment I am better with desoldered wick than the solder sucker.

Old 28 October 2017, 19:33   #4
system11

Get an actual desoldering iron with vacuum pump and never look back.