English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 06 April 2006, 19:57   #1
Darkripper

Unhappy Requesting Flashback

Hi this is my first post. I'm looking for a good version of the beautiful game Flashback in ADF format. I know this is not really a rare game but I can't seem to find a good version anywhere. I downloaded every version I could find on Planet Emulation. They either don't work or seem to be missing some thing. I remember this game well and I'm quite sure that the version I grew up playing had a cutscene each time you picked up an item. I don't know if there was more than one amiga version or else, why these cutscenes are missing. I also remember that in the version I had, when you pick up credits it would say, "you picked up 10 credits" for example, not "you picked up a credit card". Please help!
Old 06 April 2006, 20:23   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkripper
I remember this game well and I'm quite sure that the version I grew up playing had a cutscene each time you picked up an item.
Yes it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkripper
I also remember that in the version I had, when you pick up credits it would say, "you picked up 10 credits" for example, not "you picked up a credit card". Please help!
I believe this is later in the game when you need to collect credits to get into the "Game Show".

I use this version from planetemu:

... Flashback (1992)(U.S. Gold)[cr Interpol][a](Disk 1 of 4)
... Flashback (1992)(U.S. Gold)[cr Interpol][a](Disk 2 of 4)
... Flashback (1992)(U.S. Gold)[cr Interpol][a](Disk 3 of 4)
... Flashback (1992)(U.S. Gold)[cr Interpol][a](Disk 4 of 4)

Seems to work fine for me although I haven't played it all the way through
Old 06 April 2006, 21:28   #3
Darkripper

Thank you Damien. I'm downloading it right now. I'll post again as soon as I try it.
Old 06 April 2006, 21:35   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
type CTRL-C during the game to see the cutscene playing when on disk.

This is enabled only in hardrive mode.
Old 07 April 2006, 00:19   #5
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Beware of the Interpol version !!
I had this version back in the days and there is a second copyprotection later in the game (I think after you get the 4th or 5th codeword), where it asks for a specific word from the manual. Unfotunately this isn't cracked so you cannot continue the game
Old 07 April 2006, 00:23   #6
DamienD
Banned

With the [a] version Overdoc?

I know that many moons ago (12 years at least) I had the Interpol version on my real Amiga and managed to finish it. Don't know if it was the version with or without the [a] though

Edit: Just checked Planetemu, there's also a [a2] set. I wonder which one I had on my A500

Hmmm, maybe a good test would be to use the level codes http://hol.abime.net/568/cheatcode), select the final stage and see you get prompted for a word from the manual...

Last edited by DamienD; 07 April 2006 at 00:33.
Old 07 April 2006, 13:16   #7
Darkripper

Hi, thanks to everyone for their help. I don't remember what version I had on the amiga, but I'm sure I was never asked to check the manual. Damien, I tried the (a) version and it worked, I got the cutscenes finally Then I wanted to check Disk 3 and 4 to make sure that they work. I still remember some of the codes. I tried the last level which requires Disk 4 and it worked fine. Then I tried the "LYNX" level which if memory serves is level 4 but Disk 3 didn't work . I tried every Disk 3 from Planet Emu but they didn't work. Does anyone have another Disk 3?
Old 07 April 2006, 13:57   #8
DamienD
Banned

That's no good, this means that I will need to cahnge my set also

You say you tried all the Interpol versions from PlanetEmu?

Like I said above I used the Interpol version on my original A500 and it worked until the end...
Old 07 April 2006, 14:24   #9
Darkripper

Yes I tried every Disk 3 from Planet Emu . But check yours to be sure, maybe, hopefully there was something wrong with my download. Wishful thinking I know, but just in case.

As I said, I don't remember the version I had back then but I don't think it was Interpol. First, I don't remember the initial Interpol red screen being there. I also think but I could be wrong, that there were a few diffrences in the dialogue of the game. Like for example, when you save, it would say "Saving" not "Saving Position". It doesn't really make a difference, but trying to remember. The strange thing is, every version I found on the net was Interpol.

Thanks for your help Damien. Thanks to all of you!
Old 07 April 2006, 16:43   #10
DamienD
Banned

If I get the time I'll try my ones tonight.

You said "I tried the "LYNX" level which if memory serves is level 4 but Disk 3 didn't work". Did you receive any errors or just didn't load?
Old 07 April 2006, 17:12   #11
Darkripper

It just didn't load. It makes the usual noise, like its about to load, it blinks and the screen to insert Disk 3 reappears again.
Old 07 April 2006, 18:57   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

try a different disk 3
Old 07 April 2006, 19:49   #13
Darkripper

I did! I tried each one I could find! That's the problem!
Old 07 April 2006, 20:06   #14
snarkhunter

Hello all !

I've just tried my own "Interpol" disk 3 (most probably downloaded from "Planetemu" a while ago...) after reading your posts and, well, it just worked fine first time ; so I stopped the emulation as soon as the introduction sequence for that level (i.e. "LYNX") started playing.

The only "thing" being... there's one trick you need to know, or the game may just not work properly ! (it's kind of "the French Touch", but many multi-disk games used to share the same feature at the time...). You may only use df0: with this game. What I personally do with such games is :

- ejecting the disk that is currently in df0:
- getting back to the game, so that the drive now be acknowledged as "empty" by the emulation
- loading the next disk in df0:
- getting back to the game once again

This sure is a bit "odd". But it works every time, so who cares, actually ?!

Kind regards,
sh

Last edited by snarkhunter; 07 April 2006 at 20:12.
Old 07 April 2006, 20:28   #15
DamienD
Banned

Cheers for the information snarkhunter. Good to hear that it works...

I'm now at home and checked my config. I only ever use 1 disk drive also

Last edited by DamienD; 07 April 2006 at 20:53.
Old 07 April 2006, 20:52   #16
Darkripper

Hi everyone! I'm very happy to say that the "trick" Snarkhunter described above worked like a charm I was also using just drive df0, I got used to that. What I wasn't doing was getting back to the game with an empty drive, before inserting the requested disk. And that did the trick!

So Snarkhunter, thanks a lot! I'm so happy to finally be able to play this masterpiece. And Damien, I'm sure yours will work just fine. Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to contribute. You guys are the best
Old 09 April 2006, 19:44   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread got very off-topic so I have split it..

Find the other part --> http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22738
Old 20 October 2006, 01:55   #18
Darkripper

Hi everyone, I'm back! As this was the place of my first post, I thought it should be here that I start to post again. I just want to say that I'm very sorry that its been so long since I last logged in. I had to format and fully upgrade my pc and was without an internet connection (amongst other things) for a long time. I will probably be without internet for a few more days cos it turns out the "new" router is defective.

I'm ready to get back to what I had just started, back when I found this amazing Board. I'm very happy, surprised and thankful to discover what my first post and thread has started. I also feel guilty that I wasn't here to help, so once again I'm very sorry! I know this is actually off-topic but I feel like I owe it to everyone here.