English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 27 April 2013, 20:23   #1
mips

Installing ClassicWB?

Can someone please point me to guide on how to install classicwb 68k?

The instructions that come with classicwb only mentions winuae

EDIT: see http://fs-uae.net/installing-classicwb-in-fs-uae

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 24 March 2014 at 10:43. Reason: Added link to guide
Old 27 April 2013, 21:40   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I made a Video guide: (Procedure is the same for all 3.1 based packs)

[ Show youtube player ]

But as you can see I use WinUAE.

I can create the System.zip for you if that helps (if you don't have a Windows PC)

You would need to extract it to your Amiga (there is a bootable ADF included that can do this for you included in the CWB package) It needs to be written to a real floppy Disk obviously.

You will also need real Workbench Disks to activate it, this is why it's easier to do it via WinUAE as you can just use Workbench ADF's and do the activation in WinUAE like I do in my Video
Old 27 April 2013, 23:53   #3
mips

Hi,

I don't have a real amiga (hence the post in the fs-uae forum) & I use linux so I don't understand how I can use a real disk and not a adf?

Last edited by mips; 28 April 2013 at 00:10.
Old 28 April 2013, 00:17   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Sorry I didn't notice the sub forum, I found this as a 'new unread post' and assumed you wanted to install on a real Amiga.
Old 28 April 2013, 00:25   #5
lesta_smsc

You can use the ADFs in place of a real 'disk' - however, because Workbench is still copyright protected, you will need to use your own version (transferring it to Amiga) or look within TOSEC.
Old 28 April 2013, 01:12   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Yes, the workbench ADFs can be downloaded from here:

EDIT: No you can't, despite this site appearing to legitimately host the workbench files, they are still copyright owned, and due to that fact, and the EAB rules HERE, I must remove the link DH

Last edited by DH; 28 April 2013 at 16:55. Reason: Link to Copyrighted Workbench files
Old 28 April 2013, 13:06   #7
mips

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Sorry I didn't notice the sub forum, I found this as a 'new unread post' and assumed you wanted to install on a real Amiga.
No problemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
You can use the ADFs in place of a real 'disk' - however, because Workbench is still copyright protected, you will need to use your own version (transferring it to Amiga) or look within TOSEC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yes, the workbench ADFs can be downloaded from here:
Link removed due to copyrighted materials DH
I don't need any disks (I already have the WB3.1 disk set), I'm just trying to figure out how to install ClassicWB 68k to hard drive. There's a hdf image in the zip file but i have not idea what to do with from fs-uae launcher.

I'm probably not making things clear so let me try again.

I have fs-uae & launcher setup on my linux laptop for A600 KS3.1 emulation, I've setup more ram for it and I've created a ClassicWB folder under hard drives to act as a hard drive. I have all 6 WB3.1 adf disks. I've also downloaded all the ClassicWB versions and I've unzipped the 68k version which contains an hdf file, some uae file and instructions for winuae.

I would like to install ClassicWB on the emulated A600 mentioned above and I need a guide or some pointers on how to do that.

If I insert the WB3.1 floppy in df0: and the ClassicWB System.hdf into df1: it boots from the WB disk and then I can see the system hdf 'hard drive', this process is slow though and requires the two disks to be 'inserted' I would like to boot without these by simply having all this installed on the HDD folder I specified in fs-uae launcher.

Last edited by DH; 28 April 2013 at 16:56.
Old 28 April 2013, 14:02   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

HDF = Hard Drive Image File, you cannot insert it into DF1 (DF = Floppy Drive)

Can you add a HDF as a 'virtual hard drive' in FS_UAE? I don't know if that option exists since I don't use Linux, but this is what you need to do, the HDF is a Hard Drive Image so you need to mount it as such and then use the ADF's to activate it, when you run the emulated environment with the HDF added (but no ADF's inserted) you will see the on screen instructions.

If all else fails I can Zip or Lha the system partition and upload it for you, then you just need to extract it to your HDD under emulation, i.e:

Make a folder called 'System' on your Linux Box and put System.zip inside
Load up UAE and make the System folder you DH0 (hard drive 0)
Put the ADF from the Classic Workbench archive (real Amiga disk) into DF0
Make sure you have selected a 3.1 Rom in your Emulator settings
Run the emulation and the ADF will automatically unzip the system.zip into your System folder, this will be your installed OS.

Then you can run emulation again with no ADF in DF0 and you will see the install instructions where you activate Classic Workbench and proceed to add each ADF from Workbench 3.1 as requested.

Would you like me to make the System.zip for you?
Old 28 April 2013, 17:11   #9
DH
Global Moderator

All links have been removed as they link to workbench files which are still copyrighted materials, no matter how legit the site seems the eab rules HERE, specifically state we can't link to anything that is still copyrighted.

Last edited by DH; 29 April 2013 at 13:03.
Old 28 April 2013, 17:13   #10
lesta_smsc

AmigaForever is great for this sort of stuff. I've just set mine up and it has AmiKit and various other pre-configured (all legitimate) software!

The only problem I'm having, is how to mount my existing PC HDD so I can access the mods I have! lol
Old 30 April 2013, 18:25   #11
yesplease

Hi mips,
to install classicwb is super easy. as far as i remember you just need to do the following

1.just select the hdf via the fsuae launcher in hd section.
2.put the workbench install disks into the df0 ... dfn

then boot up the fsuae.

It will boot the hd and and then classicwb asks you to insert the wb disks which you do via onscreen menu... As far as I remember it asks you for one disk and then the next and so on

after it completes the hd file is fully configured, you can eject the disks and start the hd

have fun !
Old 24 March 2014, 03:18   #12
Mr B

I always end up hitting the forum looking for how to find / make that stupid system.zip that needs to be placed on DH0 to configure things for the real Amiga. Simply not playing around with the miggy often enough.

Thanks for having this thread easy to find, and kicking me in the right direction, got it sorted.
Old 24 March 2014, 07:07   #13
Alzabo

http://fs-uae.net/installing-classicwb-in-fs-uae

You're Welcome