English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 15 January 2010, 21:32   #1
Cammy

Installing ClassicWB without a PC

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can mount a HDF file from a real Amiga? If this isn't possible, is there any way I can extract the contents of the HDF to a directory on my Amiga's hard drive without having to take it out and put it in a PC? I'd really like to install, or at least access the contents of the ClassicWB packs on my Amiga.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cammy; 25 February 2010 at 19:29.
Old 15 January 2010, 21:43   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Cant diskimage.device mount HDF?
Old 15 January 2010, 21:51   #3
Cammy

Thanks Boo Boo, I'll check this out and see if I can mount it.
Old 16 January 2010, 09:47   #4
squidbass

I'm sure but not 100% that i've mounted hdfs on my amiga with isomount_v1.24 off aminet - normally used for mounting isos it has a filedisk.device....

Good luck!

squidbass
Old 16 January 2010, 12:06   #5
Bloodwych

Hi Cammy, hope you can get what you need from the HDF using methods these guys have suggested. Another option is zipping up the contents of the HDF under emulation.

I know you're also a Linux user - I am looking to put together a Linux pack so people can use the HDF's and extract what they need under emulation. Muzar wrote a guide, but it's still debatable if HDF's are usable under UAE/E-UAE in Linux.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49681
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49562

And that leads to another method. If you can mount the HDF in an emulator, then use Dopus to zip the contents up from within emulation to a mounted directory this zip can then be transferred to the Amiga and unzipped.

You can get programs that extract the contents of HDF's directly in Windows, not sure about Linux, but you might loose attributes and have problems with certain Amiga only characters in filenames. If you are only looking to extract certain things, then that should be fine.

If you're still stuck, I can put together a zip file for you for a pack of your choice.
Old 16 January 2010, 12:47   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Another option is zipping up the contents of the HDF under emulation.
Don't use ZIP when doing this in an Amiga environment, use LZX. Zip doesn't preserve AmigaOS file attributes, and LZX does, because it's Amiga specific. A nice bonus is that LZX compresses a little better than ZIP.

Last edited by Thorham; 16 January 2010 at 13:58.
Old 16 January 2010, 13:15   #7
Bloodwych

No, I don't agree with that Thorham. Amiga Zip and Unzip preserve all the filenames and attributes absolutely fine - I did a thorough test of Zip vs LZX vs Lha years ago - Zip was the winner. Perhaps not in compression size, but that difference was minor.

Plus I have compared files before and after Zip - they were identical in attributes, sizes, directory structure and names. Zipping under the Windows filesystem using the Windows version might do what you suggested. But I recommend Zip from within emulation using the Amiga versions.

I stick with Zip as its universally popular, doesn't have the possibility of missing directory structures and empty drawers, or corrupt files, which I found can happen under LZX and Lha with incorrect command lines and/or buggy executables (a few which are kicking around Aminet).
Old 16 January 2010, 14:04   #8
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
No, I don't agree with that Thorham. Amiga Zip and Unzip preserve all the filenames and attributes absolutely fine - I did a thorough test of Zip vs LZX vs Lha years ago - Zip was the winner. Perhaps not in compression size, but that difference was minor.
I had no idea, because I thought ZIP for AmigaOS is just a port from the peecee command line version. Thanks for clearing that up
Quote:
Zipping under the Windows filesystem using the Windows version might do what you suggested.
Yes, ZIP on the peecee doesn't preserve Amiga file attributes.
Quote:
I stick with Zip as its universally popular, doesn't have the possibility of missing directory structures and empty drawers, or corrupt files, which I found can happen under LZX and Lha with incorrect command lines and/or buggy executables (a few which are kicking around Aminet).
I've never had problems with LZX (apart from general unarchiving problems caused by something else), but I must admit that I haven't run any real tests. Guess I'll be sticking with ZIP from now on
Old 16 January 2010, 15:04   #9
Bloodwych

Looks like we got our wires crossed on how people use zip as it's usually associtaed with windows. Just use whatever works best for you. If you've had no problems, then it's nice to use an Amiga specific archive format on the Amiga.

There are versions of LZX and Lha that work fine I'm sure; just wanted to point out that I'd looked into this in the past and went with the option that worked with the least possibility of issues.
Old 26 February 2010, 18:10   #10
paulo_becas

It's very simple, it worked for me.
1. First mount the hdf that you want to pass to the amiga HD in winuae.
2. Mount the PC drives in winuae
3. Use Dopus to transfer the content of the hdf to a folder in a PC Drive
4. In the amiga prepare the Hard Disc then boot up with Amiga Explorer disc
5. Run amiga explorer in your pc
6. Copy the content of the folder where you copy the hdf content to the amiga HD trough Amiga Explorer.

Note: this process can take a while but the result is great
Note 2: Remember to make the amiga HD bootable
Old 26 February 2010, 18:17   #11
Bloodwych

Why has Cammy deleted all her posts?

I hate it when people do that; spoils the board and threads.

Thanks for your input paulo; this thread was actually about installing without a PC and WinUAE, but the opening post has been deleted.
Old 26 February 2010, 18:23   #12
Bloodwych

Oh yeah and paulo, thanks for using the packs. Always nice to get some users coming back to help others.
Old 26 February 2010, 20:39   #13
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Why has Cammy deleted all her posts?
She was having a rant on Amiga.org last week about a gaming comp, not being apprciated and now her location says 'gone' I hope everything is ok?