English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 August 2016, 01:50   #1
MouseGuard

Saving in Guild of Thieves, [Amiga A600, Gotek]

Hi there, sort-of new to all this, I have installed a Gotek USB Floppy and have it currently running cortex firmware 1.05a.

I have Guild of Thieves loaded in slot 001 and a blank.adf loaded in 002, however, whenever I attempt to save this game, wither it be to the hard drive or to the blank.adf file, the game will seem to make a save file (Can be viewed through the Amiga's browser on the hard drive) but fails to load it, giving an error screen and forcing me to turn the machine off.

This error also occurs when trying to load from a save that is on the Amiga.

I have tried multiple different adf's of this game and I am at my wits end with it. A few times I've got "Ouch, Bad save" but nothing has come of it.

Any help would be appreciated or maybe suggestion of a better text-based amiga game to try out that has no issue with saving/loading of progress.

Thank you.

Old 02 August 2016, 14:52   #2
emufan

hi, I have no solution, but you can check, since the game is that old, you have formated the blank floppy with "old file system" disabling/unchecking FastFileSystem when creating a blank floppy - no dir-chache, no international mode.
another game of that time period is The Pawn. perhaps you got more luck with that.
Old 02 August 2016, 14:56   #3
MouseGuard

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
hi, I have no solution, but you can check, since the game is that old, you have formated the blank floppy with "old file system" disabling/unchecking FastFileSystem when creating a blank floppy - no dir-chache, no international mode.
another game of that time period is The Pawn. perhaps you got more luck with that.

Thank you for the reply, I'll try out the pawn, is there any way to make a .adf that uses the old file system like you described?

Old 02 August 2016, 14:59   #4
emufan

i use ADFView on my windows machine, once installed you have in windows-explorer's
context menu a new entry "Amiga Disk File" , which opens a requester, where you can create
such floppy image.

here is a more complete list with "Adventures with Text & Graphics" on HOL.

search on the eab ftp for them
Old 02 August 2016, 15:01   #5
MouseGuard

Quote:
i use ADFView on my windows machine, once installed you have in windows-explorer's
context menu a new entry "Amiga Disk File" , which opens a requester, where you can create
such floppy image.
Thank you so much, I'll give this a try Using the Gotek the flash drive doesn't seem to require any special formatting, however, if you yourself use the Gotek, do you have it formatted specially? I have seen some people splitting the flash drive up into separate floppies, but on trying that myself the Gotek just reads --- .

Thank you for helping Love this community.

Old 02 August 2016, 15:05   #6
emufan

i dont have a gotek drive, i only use winuae in recent days
and i think it is not about the filesystem of the gotek usb-stick, you should stay with it's current setting.
but the formating of the blank floppy image, may have an impact, but this is just speculation on my side
Old 02 August 2016, 15:12   #7
MouseGuard

Quote:
and i think it is not about the filesystem of the gotek usb-stick, you should stay with it's current setting.
but the formating of the blank floppy image, may have an impact, but this is just speculation on my side
Alright, thanks, I'm giving it a shot, once I figure out how to create a new blank formatted floppy adf file through adf view

Old 02 August 2016, 15:39   #8
MouseGuard

Quote:
Just tried the pawn and had the same issue :') Crashes to a failed to load screen after saving

Old 02 August 2016, 16:11   #9
emufan

I tested The pawn here with an Amiga 500 setup ( 512 kb chip / 512 kb fast ram).
it does save here, but only onto The Pawn disk itself.
I put in the blank.adf before saving, system want me to put "The Pawn" disk in any drive,
so I did, and it got saved onto "The Pawn" disk.
"Restore" did also work - but it then ask me to enter a manual protection code.
I was using this release: Pawn, The v2.2 (1986)(Rainbird)[cr ACS].adf

the floppy image is almost full - only 24kb left - each save file is about 9.5kb in size.
but you can overwrite old state , by using same name.

The Pawn and Guide of Thieves came from same developer,.
just try Zork Zero for example ("save" command at the text prompt).

Last edited by emufan; 02 August 2016 at 16:16.
Old 02 August 2016, 16:33   #10
MouseGuard

Quote:
I tested The pawn here with an Amiga 500 setup ( 512 kb chip / 512 kb fast ram).
it does save here, but only onto The Pawn disk itself.
I put in the blank.adf before saving, system want me to put "The Pawn" disk in any drive,
so I did, and it got saved onto "The Pawn" disk.
"Restore" did also work - but it then ask me to enter a manual protection code.
I was using this release: Pawn, The v2.2 (1986)(Rainbird)[cr ACS].adf

the floppy image is almost full - only 24kb left - each save file is about 9.5kb in size.
but you can overwrite old state , by using same name.

The Pawn and Guide of Thieves came from same developer,.
just try Zork Zero for example ("save" command at the text prompt).
Thank you for your reply, I tried that adf file and after saving I got "Fatal error during load Please remove 'The Pawn' disk and switch off."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. What is the full command you type out of your amiga?

Old 02 August 2016, 16:36   #11
emufan

maybe it is a firmware problem - another user with a gotek would be of good help

did you heard about the gotek firmware by Jeff (creator of the HQX floppy emulators)?
for 10 .- euro you can flash his firmware on the gotek - the online programming tool is here - you have to email him and he will setup your credentials, so you can flash the drive with your tool.
Jeff is also a registered user here on EAB.
Old 02 August 2016, 16:37   #12
MouseGuard

Quote:
maybe it is a firmware problem - another user with a gotek would be of good help

did you heard about the gotek firmware by Jeff (creator of the HQX floppy emulators)?
for 10 .- euro you can flash his firmware on the gotek - the online programming tool is here - you have to email him and he will setup your credentials, so you can flash the drive with your tool.
Jeff is also a registered user here on EAB.

Yes I have heard of that and sent an e-mail to them asking to get an account for it, hopefully won't have to wait too long, I think this might be an issue with the Cortex firmware to be honest! Thanks for the help.

Old 02 August 2016, 16:40   #13
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseGuard View Post
Thank you for your reply, I tried that adf file and after saving I got "Fatal error during load Please remove 'The Pawn' disk and switch off."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. What is the full command you type out of your amiga?
in The Pawn i just use the Files menu and choose save, next i type in the name and confirm with "y".

in Zork zero i just type "save" at the text pronpt while running the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseGuard View Post
Yes I have heard of that and sent an e-mail to them asking to get an account for it, hopefully won't have to wait too long, I think this might be an issue with the Cortex firmware to be honest! Thanks for the help.
good choice. if there are problems with his firmware too, I'm sure he will fix the issue.