English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 December 2004, 14:46   #1
Titler
Zone Friend

Colonization Amiga Saves To PC: Anyone Fancy Taking A Whack?

Mods, please move this to the correct forum if you think it's in the wrong one, but I wasn't really sure where to ask this!

Ok, I have working .adf's of my old Colonization saved games, and the readme indicates that you can use an Amiga to write them to an MS-DOS formatted disc using the command "Copy Work:Colonization/exe/colony00.sav PC0"... of course, under emulation, this will just write back to the virtual drive. So I've got a two part question really.

1.) Is there any way to force WinUAE to temporarily think one drive is my PC's floppy drive, and get it to send the saves there instead?

2.) Or would it be easier, and much much cheekier, to ask if someone with a real A1200 would extract the files into a DOS readable format for me if I upload my adf's into the zone?

Thanks!
Old 04 December 2004, 16:38   #2
Marcuz

i'm a little confused. do you need the save to try it under the pc version? why don't to start a winuae hd session with 1 hard disk in hdir mode (check the hard disk configuration panel on winuae) copy your savefile to that harddisk/dir from the emulated workbench and close emulation?
Old 05 December 2004, 16:14   #3
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
i'm a little confused. do you need the save to try it under the pc version? why don't to start a winuae hd session with 1 hard disk in hdir mode (check the hard disk configuration panel on winuae) copy your savefile to that harddisk/dir from the emulated workbench and close emulation?
No, I just wanted to load my old saved games in the Windows version of Colonization, so I could keep my scores... Whilst I used to play the Amiga version for hours at a time, I just can't go back to the squashed graphics and slow movement time now..! Although the Amiga music is so much better than the PC version's...

I'll have a fiddle with Winuae Hard Drives, see if I can work out how to move the files... and come back if I need help, thanks!

Edited to Add: nope, not sure what I'm doing, as I never owned anything above the trust A500. I can apparently mount a hard drive, as my emulated A1200 will boot into Amiga Dos instead of the Kikstart insert disc screen... but then I'm stuck. I try and insert Workbench, but I can't boot it... I guess because I need to give an Amiga DOS command. Can you give me a quick guide to moving files from Colonizationsaves.adf to the hard drive please?

Last edited by Titler; 05 December 2004 at 16:30.
Old 05 December 2004, 16:41   #4
oldpx

1-launch winuae but don't start it yet. Add a new hard drive. details are unimportant but make sure you use add directory option and define a windows directory to be used as a hard drive under winuae.

1a-If you already have a bootable hard drive and you added this one as a second drive, move on to step 2.

1b-If it is your only hard drive now, make sure you don't boot from it. Insert workbench.adf to df0: Keep both mouse buttons pressed during boot so that you can reach the boot menu and choose df0: for booting.

2-boot into workbench.

3-insert your save adf

4-copy required files to the newly added hard drive under workbench

5-return to windows. go to the directory you used as a hard drive. your files are there.

Last edited by oldpx; 05 December 2004 at 16:47.

Old 05 December 2004, 17:18   #5
Titler
Zone Friend

ParallexScroll, thanks for those instructions, nice and easy to follow :

And the saved games do indeed transfer across! The only problem is that, at least under Colonization for Windows, the Highscore.dat causes a crash if that is copied across too... Oh well, just have to play the final turn on each game over again
Old 05 December 2004, 17:49   #6
Marcuz

yep sorry i should have been more articulate