English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 March 2017, 12:56   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Sure am!!

Enabling JIT seems to make it faster for me, especially when many sprites on the screen at the same time. On the flip side when there is only 1 enemy it runs too fast.
Yeah noticed that as well after playing for a while

Don't turn on "JIT" though; turn off "Cycle-Exact" under "Chipset". The intro then runs a little too fast but nothing to bad...
Old 12 March 2017, 21:18   #22
butfluffy

could you please let me know where i can get your custom HDF Damien? i did search on EAB server but i could not find it.
Old 12 March 2017, 21:24   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butfluffy View Post
could you please let me know where i can get your custom HDF Damien? i did search on EAB server but i could not find it.
I'll send you a PM my friend

Can't upload this as it contains Workbench files... Reason being is that I still haven't managed to figured out to install MultiView on a totally blank hard drive (too many dependencies).

...so if there are Readme files that requires this then I have to install a quick / dirty WB 3.1 in order to be able to view
Old 12 March 2017, 22:38   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butfluffy View Post
If people want I could make a new .HDF that doesn't contain any Workbench files?

It would boot straight into the game meaning that you wouldn't be able to view the Readme file via MultiView (not that this is really important).
Old 12 March 2017, 23:42   #25
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
If people want I could make a new .HDF that doesn't contain any Workbench files?

It would boot straight into the game meaning that you wouldn't be able to view the Readme file via MultiView (not that this is really important).
I've gone ahead and done this anyway, no Workbench / Libs files are necessary for the game to work so it's now safe to upload...

Find the .HDF file on the EAB File Server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HDFs"

Things to note with this game:

a) It does require the CD image to be mounted for the game to run and play music (audio tracks). Download this from here and extract into the directory where you store the .HDF file.

b) A few other things with the WinUAE configuration like unticking "Cycle-exact" and setting "2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM"... These are probably best described in screenshots so here are the settings I use:

I hope all makes sense? If not, let me know and I'll try to assist
Old 13 March 2017, 02:08   #26
butfluffy

thanks mate
Old 21 April 2017, 00:30   #27
DamienD
Banned

This one is for my friend AmigaBill

He recently sent me a link to one of his latest broadcasts where he details recent Amiga news, plays the games, etc. see this.

Anyway, he most definitely bigged me up a bit too much

...I'm no coder / miracle worker like others on EAB; anyone could easily do what I've done with these [AmigaCD] games --> .LHA files. All I do is try to make things simple, it just takes a bit of time to:

a) Work out required files.
b) Create necessary assigns.
c) Install any beneficial patches.
d) Apply any trainers, include docs / solutions.
e) Modify scripts / icons.
f) Package everything up.
g) Test extensively.

Anyway, one his followers asked about "Land of Genesis [AmigaCD]"... so I PM'd Bill and pointed him to this thread

Thing is though, I never did actually create an .LHA package for real Amiga users who don't have a CD-ROM drive, meaning that they cannot even install the game to begin with...

Obviously with this package you will not hear the audio tracks, given that this requires a CD-ROM drive but hey...

Grab this new file on the EAB File Server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/LHAs"
Old 21 April 2017, 16:37   #28
AmigaBill

Awesome DamienD! ha ha, well, you deserve the hype. making these games HD installable is very cool. Anything people do to keep the Amiga fresh is wonderful in my opinion. Just by doing that you introduced me to many games that I have never played before. Being that I have a CF HD in my 1200 I bet they run even better than they do off a real CD. We noticed that when we had TimeGal running off on the CD32 at the vintage computer festival. I will look and see who requested Land of Genesis and point them to you link (after I download it myself of course)

The audio tracks need a CD-ROM drive because they are actually audio files playing directly off the CD, correct?

Thanks again to all the awesome work you and the other folks here on EAB are doing. I am like a kind in a candy store - or perhaps like a kid in an Amiga store!v

Old 21 April 2017, 18:21   #29
idrougge

They were always HD installable.
Old 21 April 2017, 21:03   #30
DamienD
Banned

Knew that my personal thread troll couldn't help himself and would show up soon enough...

Yes, the game is already hard drive installable but you do still require the CD in order to play without a bit of messing around i.e. setting assigns, making scripts, adjusting icons. I've also applied the trainer and parts of the patch etc.

In case you haven't tried without the CD inserted, here's lovely screenshot for you... Fresh install, eject the CD, oh no, what's this:

Anyway, you know what AmigaBill meant idrougge... Making an .LHA file for people that don't have CD-ROM drives and can just easily extract to their hard drive and play. No fuss!!!

Yes, not difficult but it does take a bit of thought.
Old 21 April 2017, 21:41   #31
Ponior

I must change assign in Cdrom.prf, and the game runs fine now. Thank you
Old 21 April 2017, 22:12   #32
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponior View Post
I must change assign in Cdrom.prf, and the game runs fine now. Thank you
Yes that will definitely work

Personally in the .HDF + .LHA packages, I made a new script for the "Genesis" icon as I wanted to do other things as well, like display information about the patch via Shell etc...
Old 02 October 2017, 17:38   #33
gradius3

@DamienD: thanks a lot for all your hard work and all the AmigaCD to HDF conversions!!!

I really like to play Amiga games with winuaex on my original Xbox. Sadly AmigaCD games are not supported there. So your HDF files are the way to go. But actually I do have one problem with Land of Genesis since it needs the CD file entered as well. After booting the game ask for the CD file and that's it for me. Do you think it would be possible to make a version where no CD file is needed? I don't care about the music. I hope I do not ask too much.

Either way I am very grateful for your contributions. keep it up!
Old 02 October 2017, 18:06   #34
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradius3 View Post
@DamienD: thanks a lot for all your hard work and all the AmigaCD to HDF conversions!!!

I really like to play Amiga games with winuaex on my original Xbox. Sadly AmigaCD games are not supported there. So your HDF files are the way to go. But actually I do have one problem with Land of Genesis since it needs the CD file entered as well. After booting the game ask for the CD file and that's it for me. Do you think it would be possible to make a version where no CD file is needed? I don't care about the music. I hope I do not ask too much.

Either way I am very grateful for your contributions. keep it up!
Hey there gradius3,

A version without music or requiring the CD-ROM mounted is the first thing I did in this thread

I removed it though after people seemed to want the audio tracks included for use in WinUAE...

Let me look into this again when I get some time
Old 02 October 2017, 18:17   #35
gradius3

That would be absolutely fantastic. Thank you!
Old 02 October 2017, 21:11   #36
DamienD
Banned

This ones for you gradius3

I've now created a self-booting .HDF which doesn't require the CD-ROM to be mounted (of course, you won't have the audio tracks though).

Same deal as with the other "full" .HDF i.e:

... The patch (well, part of) & the trainer have been applied as detailed here:

Do follow the configuration needed in post #25 but obviously you don't need to mount the CD image...

Grab the new file "Land of Genesis AmigaCD HDF [No CD].rar" from the EAB File Server under /~Uploads/DamienD/HDFs.

Enjoy!!!

...and do let me know if there are any issues
Old 02 October 2017, 21:46   #37
gradius3

You are the man!!! Works great. Can't thank you enough. Never thought I would be able to play these games on the old Xbox. Yay!

Now the only ones I am missing are:

Wet / Ultra Violent Worlds / Pinball Brain Damage

Do you think anyone of these will follow sometime?

Cheers!
Old 02 October 2017, 22:10   #38
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradius3 View Post
Now the only ones I am missing are:

Wet / Ultra Violent Worlds / Pinball Brain Damage

Do you think anyone of these will follow sometime?

Cheers!
Ok, "Wet" is German only so not really of any interest for me as my German is non-existent

...guess I could undertake this though when I have some free time.

Regarding "Ultra Violent Worlds" & "Pinball Brain Damage"... I've already done both of these for myself.

"Ultra Violent Worlds" is a self-booting / bare-bones .HDF (plus I've also added the "Faction" trainer). Safe to upload so this has now been added to the EAB File Server under /~Uploads/DamienD/HDFs

Regarding "Pinball Brain Damage"; unfortunately I can't share this as I believe it's still sold by APC-TCP...
Old 20 March 2023, 22:45   #39
RenegadeFTL

hi, is there a newer version from the HDF? i have an error at startup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error_start.png
Views:	47
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	78383