English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 November 2016, 14:52   #1
riverajl

message Could not open Janus.Library emulating BridgeBoard

I am trying to use the A2088 expansion emulated in the winuae.

I used the A2088 BIOS 3.4 380788-04.bin as the rom for it as well as the others.

I starated the machine with the kickstart 1.3.

Frist af all, I created a boot hd (a folder hd).
Then I copied all wb3.1 to it. Eject the floppy and boot from the hd.

After that, I used the image CBM-PCInstall-334.dms to install the bridgeboard. It created a PC directory in the HD.

I tried to start PCPrefs but it didn't started.

Then I used the Amiga_Janus_2.1.adf image to install Janus.

The instalation proccess did not recognized the bridgeboard. It was set manually.

After installed Janus (it created a virtual hd in the amiga hd) I tried again to use PCPrefs and PCMono withou success.

I am getting the message Could not open Janus.Library when I open pcprefs or even pcmono.

Can anyone help me?
Old 17 November 2016, 16:11   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Could not open = board is not found or x86 CPU is not running (for example missing or bad bios)

Attach your config and log file (Paths GUI panel -> tick debugging checkbox before starting emulation, boot, exit, attach winuaelog.txt)
Old 17 November 2016, 16:13   #3
emufan

download this Janus2.1.zip (EAB's ftp) - the included Janus2.1.DMS has a janus.library in the bridge folder.
copy it to your libs: folder. i'm not sure if it works with the 2088 bridgeboard (emulation) but worth a try.
Old 18 January 2017, 10:42   #4
fordav1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Could not open = board is not found or x86 CPU is not running (for example missing or bad bios)
That's not entirely accurate.
I have all of the bridgeboards that were produced (including the GoldenGate). I have a A2088 Bridgeboard that is seen by the Amiga in the early startup menu and also is seen and identified correctly by SysInfo's Board lister.
The CPU resets correctly (pin 21 goes from high to low) and the data lines on the 8088 are actively pulsing. Pin 19 has a 4.77MHz clock. The BIOS was read with an EPROM programmer and verified good.
In other words it is running code.
When I click PCMono or PCColor is simply says "could not open Janus.Library". If I simply swap out the A2088 for a A2286 it works so the software is installed correctly.
If the PCMono or PCColor program is run without a Bridgeboard plugged in it does nothing or crashes the Amiga.
So the presence of the board or CPU not running is not a factor of the "could not open Janus.Library" error.
If the 128k dual port RAM is changed for good RAM it doesn't make any difference. If the on-board (PC-side) 512k RAM is changed it doesn't make any difference. Even if ALL of the RAM is removed the Amiga still sees the board in the early startup screen and in the SysInfo board screen. Meaning the absense or presence of any on-board RAM does not affect whether the Amiga sees the Bridgeboard or Janus library or not. and no, changing caps does not help... in fact it does not help with most old PCBs as caps are mainly used to filter power and even if they are removed it will still work.... caps are more important in power supplies and monitors and mostly unimportant on old PCBs.
It's really a pity no one has any concrete knowledge of how the Bridgeboards work as this error appears a lot with a google search and there's not one person with accurate troubleshooting knowledge.
Old 18 January 2017, 10:49   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

That reply was obviously from emulation point of view. Those two are the only possibilities under emulation, it does not attempt to emulate hardware faults

EDIT: janus simply starts the PC side CPU, then it waits for bios rom to do its init phase, it sets some variable in shared ram that janus polls. If poll timeouts, it returns "could not open..". (=there are million possible fault conditions, nearly everything needs to work on PC side)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 18 January 2017 at 11:24.