English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.GameBase Amiga

Old 27 November 2018, 19:15   #1481
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
One thing though; the game played very slowly... usually for A500 games I'd have "Cycle-exact" ticked but it seems to cause issues here...

Will adjust the config tonight
Adjustment made, please extract into C:\WinUAE\Configurations

Last edited by DamienD; 09 December 2018 at 19:51.
Old 27 November 2018, 19:41   #1482
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qun Mang View Post
I didn't mess with any of your settings. Maybe it was a fluke- I'll try again tonight. Thanks for checking.
You can adjust "Floppy Drive Emulation Speed" from 100% --> 800% with 95% of games without issue

Rarely it causes a problem; was just wondering if the "R-Type" series were ones that didn't work properly but this isn't the case.

You can also play with "Display" / "Filter" / "Miscellaneous" settings if you don't like what I've set...

Last edited by DamienD; 27 November 2018 at 20:21.
Old 27 November 2018, 20:32   #1483
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Just tested "R-Type II" and played through the first level, no crashes or gurus

[...]

One thing though; the game played very slowly... usually for A500 games I'd have "Cycle-exact" ticked but it seems to cause issues here...

Will adjust the config tonight
On my computer there is no such problem. Will you include this fix in the next update? If you do, it may cause problems for some other users, like me.

On the other hand, with the Turrican II game, sometimes it hangs up just before loading the first stage for no reason, it seems to be random.
Old 27 November 2018, 20:45   #1484
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
On my computer there is no such problem. Will you include this fix in the next update? If you do, it may cause problems for some other users, like me.
Try with "Cycle-exact" ticked and without; there are "slight" speed issues with scrolling and when there are many sprites on screen...

This is probably due to the file used i.e. "R-Type II (1991)(Activision)[cr SKR][f Ministry][t +6 LGD].adf"; which tried to fix things to run on most Amiga models.

Trust me, unticking "Cycle-exact" doesn't causes any issues; I've played through to level 3

Quote:
On the other hand, with the Turrican II game, sometimes it hangs up just before loading the first stage for no reason, it seems to be random.
I haven't noticed that; I'll take a look

Last edited by DamienD; 27 November 2018 at 21:20.
Old 27 November 2018, 20:58   #1485
dax

Quote:
You can adjust "Floppy Drive Emulation Speed" from 100% --> 800% with 95% of games without issue
Exactly . As for now the only game (I've found) that makes problem with 800% is Alfred Chicken (non-AGA). It works with "floppy_speed=400"
Old 27 November 2018, 21:08   #1486
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiend View Post
try with "cycle-exact" ticked and without; there are "slight" speed issues with scrolling and when there are many sprites on screen...

This is probably due to the file used i.e. "r-type ii (1991)(activision)[cr skr][f ministry][t +6 lgd].adf"; which tried to fix things to run on most amiga models.

Just me, unticking "cycle-exact" doesn't causes any issues; i've played through to level 3
Ok!
Old 27 November 2018, 21:10   #1487
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Ok, have just done the following:
  • Loaded, started and played level one 5 times (exiting / reloading WinUAE on each attempt).
  • I set 800% "Floppy Drive Emulation Speed".
  • I enabled various random cheats on different occasions.
Level one always loaded without a problem...

Can you provide more details as I can't replicate?

Anyway, I did adjust the configuration file now as the "Defjam" cracktro wasn't properly centered... attached and just extract into C:\WinUAE\Configurations

Last edited by DamienD; 09 December 2018 at 19:50.
Old 27 November 2018, 21:10   #1488
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
Exactly . As for now the only game (I've found) that makes problem with 800% is Alfred Chicken (non-AGA). It works with "floppy_speed=400"
There are others

...off the top of my head:

a) Altered Beast.
b) Moonstone - A Hard Days Night.
Old 27 November 2018, 21:47   #1489
zoodah

Damien, any chance of adding Jumpman Deluxe & Jumpman Junior whenever you have the time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	60978   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	60979  
Old 27 November 2018, 22:05   #1490
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Ok, have just done the following:
  • Loaded, started and played level one 5 times (exiting / reloading WinUAE on each attempt).
  • I set 800% "Floppy Drive Emulation Speed".
  • I enabled various random cheats on different occasions.
Level one always loaded without a problem...

Can you provide more details as I can't replicate?
I'm sorry, like I said that is random. When Turrican II crashes, there are times when I need to reset the emulation to make it work fine. But if you want to try again, I'm using the latest beta version of WinUAE, without any modification of CPU, chipset, etc...
Old 27 November 2018, 22:05   #1491
DamienD
Banned

Sure, I'll take a look

...but from memory there are issues

Ah yes, see Jumpman Junior - Problem...
Old 27 November 2018, 22:19   #1492
zoodah

Quote:
Sure, I'll take a look

...but from memory there are issues

Ah yes, see Jumpman Junior - Problem...
Ah, didn't know. Sorry about that. I think it was converted from the C64 version.
Old 27 November 2018, 22:30   #1493
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodah View Post
Ah, didn't know. Sorry about that. I think it was converted from the C64 version.
That's ok, I might add both anyway as it's the best available

...and to quote hipoonios:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Played all levels the other day. The later levels also have bugs. But nothing serious. So it's possible to complete the game now.

I also found a Shareware remake called Jumpman Deluxe. This is better than this Commercial version. Just too bad the version on that site is only the demo.
You don't happen to have / know where to get the full version of "Jumpman Deluxe" do you?
Old 27 November 2018, 23:30   #1494
Barry1983

Quote:
That's ok, I might add both anyway as it's the best available

...and to quote hipoonios:

You don't happen to have / know where to get the full version of "Jumpman Deluxe" do you?
Hello double D is this what you are looking for by any chance http://members.iinet.net.au/~matty2/...files/jump.zip
Old 27 November 2018, 23:36   #1495
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry1983 View Post
Hello double D is this what you are looking for by any chance http://members.iinet.net.au/~matty2/...files/jump.zip
Thanks Barry1983

I haven't even really begun to do any research on these games... but the file you provided has the exact same CRC32 as the one downloadable from the site that hipoonios linked to (and he said that it's the demo)

Booting this confirms:

Old 27 November 2018, 23:44   #1496
Barry1983

Quote:
Thanks Barry1983

I haven't even really begun to do any research on these games... but the file you provided has the exact same CRC32 as the one downloadable from the site that hipoonios linked to (and he said that it's the demo)

Booting this confirms:

Oh right sorry, I will see if I can find the full version but looks like a no go.
Old 27 November 2018, 23:55   #1497
majestyx

Question

Since I am not 100% clear on it, I have a question regarding this entry from Post #1:

Quote:
What to do if my collection / WinUAE takes ages to start from your internal HDD or USB device:

... http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1132
...particularly this part of the post linked above:

Quote:
My good friend DH doesn't have much space left on his computer, so I said I'd extract everything to a USB stick, use the .INI file and courier over to him
Does the above mean that you still have to install to the C: drive first, then move everything to another drive? I am asking because I would prefer to install to my D: drive and keep my C: drive reserved for the OS and programs I use daily. Or would I extract the downloaded RARs (thanks again for the links) to the D: drive, then run the installer from there so that it will install on the D: drive? It's not clear if it matters from which drive the installer is run, meaning that even if the un-RAR'd files are on the D: drive, it will still install to the C: drive. Also, not sure what is meant by "use the .INI file".

If it is required to install to C: first, then move it (I understand it won't break anything due to relative paths being used), no problem. I just wanted to know what to expect when I run the setup program and allow for extra time in the case it all needs to be moved once installed.

Thanks again for your work and ongoing "tech support" for this project!
Old 28 November 2018, 00:05   #1498
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestyx View Post
Since I am not 100% clear on it, I have a question regarding this entry from Post #1:

...particularly this part of the post linked above:

Does the above mean that you still have to install to the C: drive first, then move everything to another drive? I am asking because I would prefer to install to my D: drive and keep my C: drive reserved for the OS and programs I use daily. Or would I extract the downloaded RARs (thanks again for the links) to the D: drive, then run the installer from there so that it will install on the D: drive? It's not clear if it matters from which drive the installer is run, meaning that even if the un-RAR'd files are on the D: drive, it will still install to the C: drive. Also, not sure what is meant by "use the .INI file".

If it is required to install to C: first, then move it (I understand it won't break anything due to relative paths being used), no problem. I just wanted to know what to expect when I run the setup program and allow for extra time in the case it all needs to be moved once installed.

Thanks again for your work and ongoing "tech support" for this project!
Yes, when running the file "Setup.exe", it will extract everything to "C:\WinUAE"

It's advisable though as:

Quote:
I've also written a nice batch file that does everything for you:

1) Extracts the files from the WinRAR archives to "C:\WinUAE".
2) Removes old and applies the required registry settings.
3) Copies a WinUAE shortcut to your desktop.
Afterwards, as I've used relative paths in the registry / configuration files you can:
  • Rename the "C:\WinUAE" directory to anything if you like.
  • Move it's contents to another directory.
  • Move it or it's contents to a different drive / partition.
This says it all (quoted from the 2nd post):

Regarding the .INI file... useful if you have your own WinUAE install and don't want my collection overriding settings... but you should backup your registry first i.e:

Especially handy if you want to run everything from a USB stick... but you may need to tick "Cache Configuration files".

Last edited by DamienD; 28 November 2018 at 01:35.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:36   #1499
majestyx

AWESOME! Thanks for the clear explanation. Not sure how I missed that entry in the 2nd post - the 2nd & 3rd links would make it crystal clear.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:40   #1500
DamienD
Banned

No problem; I get that this thread has become massive over the year and is an absolute nightmare to navigate through...

...I do try to put all important information in posts #1 + #2 though; and update as required