English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 July 2016, 11:46   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Jumpman Junior - Problem

Jumpman Junior does not work correctly with any WinUAE version/configuration or ADF I've tried. There is no way to finish off the second level because the fire is not showing and the sprite detection is totally fucked up.

All emulated videos on YouTube having this bug. Expect for [ Show youtube player ]. But it is because he is playing the game on a real Amiga.

Here is a [ Show youtube player ] showing the problem with the second level.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 July 2016, 12:50   #2
Mclane
Old fart!

Same here (minus the colourful language)
Old 18 July 2016, 13:13   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not enough information. Exact version of game required (url or attachment, it must be 100% confirmed exact same version!). And preferably statefile just before the point where the problem can be duplicated.
Old 18 July 2016, 13:26   #4
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

ADF and savestate attached. You are supposed to get all the red rings on the levels in order to finish them. But you die if you trying to pickup a ring. And as i said before. No enemies/fire sprites visible either.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jumpman Junior (1991)(Centaur Software).zip (271.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: zip jumpman_savestate.zip (224.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 18 July 2016, 14:43   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you mean level 1 works properly but level 2 does not? (I 100% refuse to play these kind of annoying games when debugging.. sorry..)

btw, your statefile is not using cycle-exact mode, config must be quickstart most compatible or test is invalid. Try also with more memory, for example 1M chip and ECS chipset.
Old 18 July 2016, 15:00   #6
Mclane
Old fart!

Yes, Level one works as per expected with reference to a real Amiga playing it on video but the emulated level 2 is missing graphics when you pick up the dots, there should be fire at certain pickups or close to the player when they collect the dot. All that is missing and the second you touch any dot the player dies.

I've tried 3 versions and all the same, the one supplied is the known unhacked version (its a PD game as you may have guessed) (oops, commercial) other packed them to make them one one file.

I played as per the 'out of the box settings with cycle exact on a standard A500 cfg as per spec for the game on HOL. Also just tried on A500+ setting and same issue..

Last edited by Mclane; 18 July 2016 at 15:20.
Old 18 July 2016, 16:02   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Will be fixed in next version. Sprite to bitplane collision still wasn't 100% correct.

It only happens in this game because it does not ignore unrelated collision bit, oddly it ignores it in first level but not in second level, there is few different code paths. Probably accidental bug.

(There is nothing wrong with fires, they only trigger after collecting the item)
Old 18 July 2016, 17:19   #8
Mclane
Old fart!

Thank you for fixing that, wonder if anything else needed the same fix...

Appreciated...
Old 18 July 2016, 17:37   #9
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Thanks Toni! And thanks Mclane for explaining the problem better (my English arrr...).

Btw, why is not cycle exact checked/ticked on startup in the last version? It is not even ticked after one of the quckstart configurations is selected. In a older version I use sometimes. (2.3) cycle exact is always ticked at startup.
Old 18 July 2016, 19:00   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
Thank you for fixing that, wonder if anything else needed the same fix...
Probably none. Hardware collisions are very rarely used. Using them incorrectly would be even more rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Btw, why is not cycle exact checked/ticked on startup in the last version? It is not even ticked after one of the quckstart configurations is selected. In a older version I use sometimes. (2.3) cycle exact is always ticked at startup.
It has never been default. Compability slider needs manual adjustment to get cycle-exact.
Old 19 July 2016, 06:24   #11
TjLaZer

UGH! Another "must run it in PAL mode" for it to run game, but uses a 320x200 "NTSC style" screenmode with large BLACK gap at bottom of screen whist running in PAL mode. Very aggravating!

http://www.verycomputer.com/2_82f39d918b3d8f64_1.htm
Old 19 July 2016, 13:31   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Game waits for line 266 in copper list, then triggers interrupt by writing to INTREQ. 262 is last NTSC line. Modifying the wait seems to fix it.

(Doing proper patch is someone else's problem)
Old 19 July 2016, 17:12   #13
Mclane
Old fart!

Just had a play of JJnr with the fix, superb always Toni....Love the Jumpman games and had the pleasure of listening to Randy Glover talk of their creation on a podcast recently...

Even the homages like this one are fun....
Old 21 July 2016, 05:04   #14
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Game waits for line 266 in copper list, then triggers interrupt by writing to INTREQ. 262 is last NTSC line. Modifying the wait seems to fix it.

(Doing proper patch is someone else's problem)
Did you do the patch?
Old 21 July 2016, 11:21   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No, I don't bother with that. On the fly UAE debugger patching only.
Old 25 December 2016, 01:13   #16
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Tried this game again with latest WinUAE. Game works fine now and could play to the fifth level. Here I ran into another problem. On this level there is some bombs / dots that are impossible to reach. I watched gameplay videos from the C64/Atari versions. What I can see is there two ways to get them. None works in the Amiga version. I've really tried a million times!

This might not be a another emulation bug. This can also be a bug in the Amiga version of the game. Can attach screenshots and savestate if soneone wants to try.

Last edited by hipoonios; 25 December 2016 at 01:27.
Old 26 December 2016, 03:26   #17
TjLaZer

Can someone PLEASE do the NTSC patch?
Old 26 December 2016, 11:21   #18
Mclane
Old fart!

@Hipoonis, attach a save state, I'll have a go...
Old 26 December 2016, 12:15   #19
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

As I said before, there seems to be two ways to get the bombs. Using the ropes (screen 1) or jump to the platform from below (screen 2)

I always falling down no matter method I use. Now I think I can beat the level anyway. But have to die two lives.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: uss junior5.uss (227.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 26 December 2016, 15:27   #20
Mclane
Old fart!

Just gave it a good shot and looked at various ways to finish the level and come to the conclusion its just a badly tested game, all versions from Epyx allow the player to jump up to the platform from underneath but this version does not. I can only guess that they didn't play test it 100% and basically fell on what is now called ' a peanut' ie the bomb as you call it.

Almost certainly NOT a collision / graphics issue in WinUAE...

Seems like its an unintentional bug from drawing the platform a couple of pixels too high when the coder created the level.
AdSense AdSense