English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 July 2012, 12:54   #81
mombasajoe

Cool...thread-diggin'

I really really loved Kick Off and Kick Off II. Today for me those games are no real soccer games. I guess I won't ever play them again.
Old 16 July 2012, 13:24   #82
mikele

Can't believe I have played:

Golden Axe - single fire button with ridiculous combination like UP+UP+FIRE (and such). C'mon...

Outrun - it was fun for a while, until title screen disappeared and gaming part began.

FIFA - isometric mess.

Robocop - another example of late 80s/early 90s money scam, I visualize some greedy CEO wasting money on coke and hookers, who ends up with 10% of the original budget and manages to outsource the porting of this coin-op to a bunch of local nerdy kids for pennies. Insult to Amiga capabilities.

Sierra's ports of their VGA titles - slow, buggy and ugly. Total let down. Should have been labeled with hazard symbol.
Old 22 July 2012, 10:43   #83
StoneOakvalley

haha, this is funny reading. I too got that "oh sh*t" feeling going back to favourite games finding out they suck nowadays. So, I started wondering why?

During the time I discovered this "oh sh*t" factor I was doing it conveniently inside WinUAE and felt something was just missing....playing on PC with crisp LCD, possibly controlling with a gamepad or even just keyboard....

hmm, so I setup a complete realistic environment with 1084 monitor, real amiga 500 or 1200, real floppy loading disks and real joysticks..and whohaa...the feeling got back and the game still rocked. It just has to be played on real hardware with authentic composite signals.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 22 July 2012, 12:28   #84
lesta_smsc

Monkey Island Was too young to understand what it was so I overwrited the 11 or 12 disks with something else! Finally came back to this when I got a PC ... And I've been hooked ever since!
Old 30 October 2014, 09:48   #85
Twiggy
\m/

Captain Planet definitely, unresponsive controls etc. Bart vs. The Space Mutants was too difficult.
Old 17 December 2014, 16:59   #86
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Ducktales - could play this game every day, now... why is this game so slow!?
http://s3.img.suchar.net/qturyBlFzNk...YhdMUzPXQl.jpg
Old 17 December 2014, 17:12   #87
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Captain Planet - somehow thought this game was awesome, but it's crap. Frustrating and repetitive. The worst part is that I actually replay (and finish!) it every year or so

Colorado - me and my brother thought this game was amazing, but it's clunky, punishingly difficult and way too linear (if you get the canoe before you do everything in a certain area you're screwed. Or at least I think so, never completed it!)

Cliffhanger - we somehow kept playing it even if it was an horrible piece of crap which should be forgotten by humanity.

Lethal Weapon - gets insanely difficult in the later levels, EVEN with a trainer enabled. Kinda repetititve.

Golden Axe - can't play much of it after playing the Arcade so many times That was a really bad port after all.

More coming later
Old 21 December 2014, 17:03   #88
dex
Eat Electric Death

I still play just about any game I played when I was young - worse I even try to convince people that "what was once good, stays good" and is still playable, hopeless xD

But what comes to mind is Onslaught and Stryx - loved the cover art, the soundtrack, the title screens but ingame both games are just weird and not that playable.

Last edited by dex; 21 December 2014 at 17:09.
Old 31 October 2023, 00:35   #89
kremiso

lovely old thread

surely a lot also here
Strider, Targhan, and Dylan Dog the murderers are the first that come in mind atm
Old 31 October 2023, 02:06   #90
jcgeuze

pretty much any arcade game, I can't stand the Amiga joysticks after using PS controllers for so long. Press up for jump etc. yuk

I realized when I got back into the Amiga that most of the games I really had good memories of were strategy games you played with the mouse. Those are still very enjoyable today
Old 31 October 2023, 08:39   #91
derSammler

Dogs of War

No idea how many hours I spent playing this with a friend. These days, the only part I still consider good is the music. The game is terrible, really.

btw, I find it rather unfair to name games that you think are bad now after playing a better or the original (i.e. arcade) version.
Old 31 October 2023, 09:30   #92
leeg

Test Drive 2. I spent ages playing this as a kid, and now I look at it…the graphics are bad, and the controls are worse.
Old 31 October 2023, 17:33   #93
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
lovely old thread

surely a lot also here
Strider, Targhan, and Dylan Dog the murderers are the first that come in mind atm
Dylan Dog the Murderers, or the creator of the Engine used for all the newsstand games made later on by Simulmondo!

As a game could have been better, however the soundtrack of Cicci Ceri was pretty good, so much that i made a remix of it in mod and sent it to Simulmondo as sample work
Old 31 October 2023, 19:54   #94
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Dylan Dog the Murderers, or the creator of the Engine used for all the newsstand games made later on by Simulmondo!

As a game could have been better, however the soundtrack of Cicci Ceri was pretty good, so much that i made a remix of it in mod and sent it to Simulmondo as sample work
yes! the intro/main loading tune is still awesome, it does generate a lovely dark atmosphere, more than half of the job in that game
too bad the lack of frames, btw i have played a lot back in the day, and i think that is A LOT better than ie Tex - Piombo Caldo;
really disappointed with this last, even then
Old 31 October 2023, 20:24   #95
Seiya

i have to say the truth. A part adventures point & click, every game that i loved to play with Amiga in the past, today weren't so good as i remembered.
Old 31 October 2023, 22:32   #96
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I always thought this game was crappy the first time I've seen it.
Way to go off-topic then
Old 31 October 2023, 22:36   #97
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i have to say the truth. A part adventures point & click, every game that i loved to play with Amiga in the past, today weren't so good as i remembered.
Because you obviously didn't played Colonization. Or the Settlers. Or Cannon Fodder. Etc etc.
Old 31 October 2023, 22:36   #98
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Way to go off-topic then
Right. I've reversed a bit the OP.
=> post deleted

Last edited by sokolovic; 01 November 2023 at 09:09.
Old 01 November 2023, 08:08   #99
TCD
Global Moderator

There's a thread for overrated games: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=17164
Old 01 November 2023, 12:57   #100
kremiso

other two from the personal basket are surely Elfmania and ta! da! ... Ivanhoe

the second one i have completed it a lot of times back in the day (without any cheats!)

played today, my god seems just two animation frames, one for swordslash and one for jump