English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 13 June 2009, 11:21   #41
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I have tested the files and Bollocks!! the bug was still there so looks like theres no bug with the IPF.
I know this tunnel can be avoided as Port_H has shown but I still think its a shame. I would think this bug would have been spotted and maybe there is another version, I hope so.
Thanks again davideo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW View Post
If anyone has the original of Escape from Colditz, please get in contact.
Maybe there are two versions of the game, and one of them has no/less bugs.
Old 13 June 2009, 11:54   #42
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I have tested the files and Bollocks!! the bug was still there
anyone contacted the publisher and asked for a bugfix? :-)))
Old 18 August 2009, 12:08   #43
Aperture

Well, since I announced it elsewhere, and this seems to be the most recent thread regarding Escape From Colditz, might as well announce my Windows and PSP ports here as well (and yes, I did fix the tunnel exit bug in these versions ).

If you want to play the game natively on Windows or PSP (as well as benefit from new features like save/load or guards who remember when they've seen a pass for instance), have a look here.
Old 21 August 2009, 12:22   #44
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Exclamation

Has anyone here ever verified the bug on the REAL thing?

There was a similar case from the past that I remember: I think it was one of the Dungeon Master games and there was a very annoying closed-doors issue. VERY much later Toni Wilen confirmed that it was a 68020+ specialty which wasn't emulated, causing the closed doors!!!

But I admit it will be a hell of a lot of work to get that far on the real thing and without savestate, because the game is bloody hard!
Yet basically, it could be an emulation issue!

(And alas, I do know well you cannot test IPFs on the real thing just like that, be they as perfect as possible)
Old 21 August 2009, 12:34   #45
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Has anyone here ever verified the bug on the REAL thing?

There was a similar case from the past that I remember: I think it was one of the Dungeon Master games and there was a very annoying closed-doors issue. VERY much later Toni Wilen confirmed that it was a 68020+ specialty which wasn't emulated, causing the closed doors!!!

But I admit it will be a hell of a lot of work to get that far on the real thing and without savestate, because the game is bloody hard!

Yet basically, it could be an emulation issue!

(And alas, I do know well you cannot test IPFs on the real thing just like that, be they as perfect as possible)

Intresting - To be fair the game can be completed anyway but puts me off playing knowing theres a bug - I have tried the game on lots of different setups and the IPF can be copied back to disk in this case.

As Aperture has done a lot of work exploring the game he might be able to say if the problem is just in the map data or the executable.

Last edited by Retro1234; 21 August 2009 at 12:41.
Old 21 August 2009, 19:37   #46
Aperture

I'm pretty sure the bug also occurs on the real thing, as this is a problem with the offsets added by the main application when doing room I/O. I'm afraid that this looks like yet another case of the game not having been tested/polished enough before release.

The file of interest to us here is COLDITZ-LOADER, which is the main game application. Note that on most images, COLDITZ-LOADER has been compressed into SKR_COLD by the Skid Row gang.

This file contains the (Y,X) offset that is added to the exit location when entering a room, and if you really want to know more, you can look for what I called "Hat Rabbit Offset" in my source (because these offsets pretty much tell you where the rabbit exits from the magician hat )

In this case, the problematic value from COLDITZ-LOADER is the FFDC 000E (Y, X offsets, signed words), found at address 0x3e9a, as it tells the game to place our guy at -36 (y), +15 (x) from the tunnel exit tile's origin, and this end up being within a wall or desk when these objects are too close.
Changing FFDC to FFEC seems to do the trick from what I have just tested, as it places us further down on the tunnel exit.

Now, if you want to patch the game you have 3 possibilities:
  1. Patch at runtime, using action replay (or the UAE emulated action replay). From what I have seen, COLDITZ-LOADER is always loaded at address 0x00000080 in memory, so what you want do to is issue an "m 3f1a FFEC" to reduce the Y offset.
  2. Patch COLDITZ-LOADER @ 0x39ea and re-compress it into SKR_COLD. Only problem is, while I can provide you with the decompression routine (see "uncompress()" in http://code.google.com/p/colditzesca...nk/low-level.c) I don't have the compression one, since I didn't really have any use for it => you'll have to figure that one out by yourself.
    I'm pretty sure someone familiar with compression (or possibly ex Skid Row members...) will recognize the algorithm being used there (which I wouldn't mind knowing the name of, just for the sake of it, since I blindly reverse engineered the stuff before I moved on to the rest of the game engine).
    Oh, and FYI, colditz escape! does create and save COLDITZ-LOADER for SKR_COLD, when it cannot find COLDITZ-LOADER.
  3. If there is enough space on the disk, just save the uncompressed COLDITZ-LOADER. If my memory serves me well, I think the uncompressed loader also contains the code to copy itself onto address 0x00000080 when launched from the startup-sequence, but you might want to check that out...
Still, I wish people just used my engine to play the game now, instead of the old slightly buggy Amiga one...

PS: While I'm giving tricks away, if you want to render all guards ineffective in the original game (except one), you can issue an "m 20d0 0". The counter at 20d0 is the number of guards the game is aware of for motion & pursuit.
Old 21 August 2009, 19:47   #47
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Bored Seal is the man to speak to with regards to getting this fix added to the WHDload slave
Old 21 August 2009, 20:59   #48
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thank you for your reply I can see you realy have been bussy reversing this game - Not a challenge I would fancy - considering the complexity of the game
Thanks theres a lot of information for me to look through great stuff!

Please could you upload the decompressed file

Ive been loooking at the WHDload install and theres a file called Colditz_Demo maybe this is the Colditz_Loader ill have to have a closer look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
play the game now, instead of the old slightly buggy Amiga one...

Of-Course dont worry about that I will playing your game - Just if the game could be fixed - Then Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Bored Seal is the man to speak to with regards to getting this fix added to the WHDload slave
Good idea HH - I probably do this when I realise this is beyond my capabilities - But I like to try before I bother the WHDload authors.
Old 21 August 2009, 21:27   #49
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post

Good idea HH - I probably do this when I realise this is beyond my capabilities - But I like to try before I bother the WHDload authors.
oh, do you have the source? If so, I'm sure between us we could fix it BooBoo - perhaps a trip to abime.net IRC is in order for discussion
Old 21 August 2009, 21:31   #50
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the bug also occurs on the real thing, as this is a problem with the offsets added by the main application when doing room I/O. I'm afraid that this looks like yet another case of the game not having been tested/polished enough before release.

The file of interest to us here is COLDITZ-LOADER, which is the main game application. Note that on most images, COLDITZ-LOADER has been compressed into SKR_COLD by the Skid Row gang.

This file contains the (Y,X) offset that is added to the exit location when entering a room, and if you really want to know more, you can look for what I called "Hat Rabbit Offset" in my source (because these offsets pretty much tell you where the rabbit exits from the magician hat )

In this case, the problematic value from COLDITZ-LOADER is the FFDC 000E (Y, X offsets, signed words), found at address 0x3e9a, as it tells the game to place our guy at -36 (y), +15 (x) from the tunnel exit tile's origin, and this end up being within a wall or desk when these objects are too close.
Changing FFDC to FFEC seems to do the trick from what I have just tested, as it places us further down on the tunnel exit.

Now, if you want to patch the game you have 3 possibilities:
  1. Patch at runtime, using action replay (or the UAE emulated action replay). From what I have seen, COLDITZ-LOADER is always loaded at address 0x00000080 in memory, so what you want do to is issue an "m 3f1a FFEC" to reduce the Y offset.
  2. Patch COLDITZ-LOADER @ 0x39ea and re-compress it into SKR_COLD. Only problem is, while I can provide you with the decompression routine (see "uncompress()" in http://code.google.com/p/colditzesca...nk/low-level.c) I don't have the compression one, since I didn't really have any use for it => you'll have to figure that one out by yourself.
    I'm pretty sure someone familiar with compression (or possibly ex Skid Row members...) will recognize the algorithm being used there (which I wouldn't mind knowing the name of, just for the sake of it, since I blindly reverse engineered the stuff before I moved on to the rest of the game engine).
    Oh, and FYI, colditz escape! does create and save COLDITZ-LOADER for SKR_COLD, when it cannot find COLDITZ-LOADER.
  3. If there is enough space on the disk, just save the uncompressed COLDITZ-LOADER. If my memory serves me well, I think the uncompressed loader also contains the code to copy itself onto address 0x00000080 when launched from the startup-sequence, but you might want to check that out...
Still, I wish people just used my engine to play the game now, instead of the old slightly buggy Amiga one...

PS: While I'm giving tricks away, if you want to render all guards ineffective in the original game (except one), you can issue an "m 20d0 0". The counter at 20d0 is the number of guards the game is aware of for motion & pursuit.
I've applied your patch to the Skid Row version, there was some spare bytes in the decrunch header of 'SKR_COLD', so it patches the correct data before it relocates to the correct memory space.

In the zone now.
Old 21 August 2009, 21:34   #51
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cheers Galahad
Old 21 August 2009, 21:56   #52
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
oh, do you have the source? If so, I'm sure between us we could fix it BooBoo - perhaps a trip to abime.net IRC is in order for discussion
If only I was anygood at ASM - I was simply going to edit the Colditz_Loader/Colditz_Demo file - A proper patch of the WHDload slave would of-course be much better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I've applied your patch to the Skid Row version, there was some spare bytes in the decrunch header of 'SKR_COLD', so it patches the correct data before it relocates to the correct memory space.

In the zone now.
Sweet!!!! its great to see how stuff round here gets done
Ill test as soon as possible - If you could, could you upload the decompressed SKR_COLD file.
Old 21 August 2009, 22:02   #53
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

patched 'colditz_demo' file in the zone for the WHDLoad version, just copy it over the same named file that is installed and this should fix the same tunnel bug
Old 21 August 2009, 22:08   #54
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thats brilliant ill get testing

Thanks Guys
Old 21 August 2009, 22:52   #55
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Ill do a lttle more testing but

I Just tested the WHDload version - I AusFarted the tunnel and No Freaze!!
Old 21 August 2009, 22:58   #56
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Da ist wunderbar, jah?
Old 21 August 2009, 23:01   #57
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Jawohl mein Herr
Disk version seems to work a treat now
Old 21 August 2009, 23:05   #58
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Jawohl mein Herr
Disk version seems to work a treat now
Das ist gut kinder?
Old 21 August 2009, 23:06   #59
Aperture

Nice patch, Galahad.

It's even better than any of the options I suggested, as applying the patch in the decrunch header doesn't mess with the MD5 sums of the COLDITZ-LOADER, which I check in my game engine. This way, you'll be able to use a patched SKR_COLD with it as well.

There seems to be a small problem with the ADF you uploaded in the zone however. Some of the IFFs in it have been renamed (eg. "DPIC.6(EXERCISE)" should really be "PIC6(EXERCISE)").
This makes the original game crash at 09:54, when the exercise picture is called. At least, that's what I got in WinUAE with that ADF.

I'll see if I can upload a working ADF with your patch in the zone...
Old 21 August 2009, 23:16   #60
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Nice patch, Galahad.

It's even better than any of the options I suggested, as applying the patch in the decrunch header doesn't mess with the MD5 sums of the COLDITZ-LOADER, which I check in my game engine. This way, you'll be able to use a patched SKR_COLD with it as well.

There seems to be a small problem with the ADF you uploaded in the zone however. Some of the IFFs in it have been renamed (eg. "DPIC.6(EXERCISE)" should really be "PIC6(EXERCISE)").
This makes the original game crash at 09:54, when the exercise picture is called. At least, that's what I got in WinUAE with that ADF.

I'll see if I can upload a working ADF with your patch in the zone...
No idea, I just downloaded the first Skid Row version I could find and hacked the SKR_COLD file, I didn't touch anything else on the disk nor did I playtest, just applied the data change you said.