English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 November 2010, 07:25   #361
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I just had another moment of incontinence right now.

First I'll clean myself up, and then I'll spend the rest of the day playing this bad boy to completion.
-edit-
ok, I'm clean now, and I've booted up the disk, but the music does not seem to be playing correctly (A1200 030). The file "Mod.Hydrozone" plays fine in Hippoplayer or any tracker you could care to name. But not in the game, oh well.

Last edited by Anakirob; 16 November 2010 at 07:50.
Old 16 November 2010, 08:24   #362
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I should get a chance to test on my A1200 Blizzard and A1200 Apollo set up's later on tonight...
Old 16 November 2010, 08:46   #363
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
The Hydrozone video looks fantastic. Real old skool gameplay! The breakout part is inspired!!!
Will try to test this tonight.

Many thanks!
Old 16 November 2010, 08:58   #364
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Just finished it.
Old 16 November 2010, 20:03   #365
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

wow, so many nice comments. Thank you very much all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beawolf View Post
I
DjCruicky YOU ARE A GENIUS!
waawoo lol cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Blimey Hydrozone is really well done, can't believe iv'e not seen it before.Great work. Are you still working on games at this point in your life?
No sorry, I'm not , I just work in an office, nothing of interest to report on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I just had another moment of incontinence right now.

First I'll clean myself up, and then I'll spend the rest of the day playing this bad boy to completion.
-edit-
ok, I'm clean now, and I've booted up the disk, but the music does not seem to be playing correctly (A1200 030). The file "Mod.Hydrozone" plays fine in Hippoplayer or any tracker you could care to name. But not in the game, oh well.
Yuck, smelly Anakirob, phew .
As for your problem with the music. I think I too had problems also when I bought a 030 for my A1200 15 years a go. Not sure I ever found a fix. The music plays, but it seems to miss notes out. Is this the same for you?
I had hoped recompiling my source code with the new AmiBlitz3 would have fixed the sound bugs, but I guess not. Hard to test as it all works fine with my PC Emulator. Are you loading the game through Workbench? Try this, open a Shell, and Enter 'CPU NoBurst', then run the game. Out of interest, was the speed of the game OK too?. ie does it look like my You-tube vid. Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I should get a chance to test on my A1200 Blizzard and A1200 Apollo set up's later on tonight...
Thank you Peter.

Thanks all again. I'll look into getting my other games out too.

thanks

DJC
Old 16 November 2010, 20:05   #366
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
Just finished it.
I'll have to make the game harder just for you .
Old 16 November 2010, 22:30   #367
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I think it's pretty hard - I haven't finished it!

It's excellent - I love it - in fact what a couple of great Amiga games!

Hydrzone runs very well on my A1200 with the Blizzard 030 - no problems at all - music is fine and the game even opens with a little light show on the A1200 Power LED - excellent!

Speed Racer FX runs perfectly well also on the A1200 Blizzard set up and runs at a really good speed - what a fantastic simple two player game - this is vintage Amiga gaming - pure class!

On My Apollo 1240 A1200, Hydrozone still runs perfectly well and is playable but the music does break up and it sounds like one channel is missing occasionally.
Speed Racer FX on the Apollo A1200 runs fine - although... it is FAST - great fun though!

These games are true Amiga PD/Shareware at their best - such playability and such fun - HOW DID I MISS HYDROZONE THE FIRST TIME ROUND??

The author has even made an excellent little Skull icon for the game - superb!

Must get some more game details and screenshots done for Hydrozone so that the Hall of Light entry does it justice!

Also must get Speed Racer FX entered into the Hall of Light - it is such a blast of a game and well deserving of an entry along side Hydrozone.

To think we now have both FULL Versions back - Thanks again DJCruicky
Old 17 November 2010, 20:33   #368
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Thanks again Peter, thanks for the very nice comments about my old games. Updating the Hall of Light would be very welcome . Cheers

DJC
Old 17 November 2010, 21:51   #369
Graham Humphrey

I just played and completed it in one sitting this evening

Really enjoyed that very much. Also like others on my '040 the music doesn't play perfectly but it's not a big deal. And I may be going mad but I'm sure the game runs a bit slower on my (real) '040 than it does on a standard (emulated) A1200. Maybe Peter can either confirm this, or prove that I'm actually just a little bit mental?

Regardless, thank you very much for releasing this, it was a lot of fun playing through the full game.
Old 17 November 2010, 23:31   #370
MethodGit

I was one of those who was introduced to the marvel (and catchy-ass music) of HydroZone via the Amiga Action/Assassins collaboration back in '94. I never did manage to beat it though, so I had no clue that it was a demo all along. Really surprising and nostalgic to see this game revived in this day and age!

Is it just me though, or does this new HZ not work under an A500 or A600 config (or at least a 68000)? The disk itself won't even boot under 1.3, and on 2.0-3.1 it gives me a Suspend/Reboot window. It works wonders under a quickstart A1200 config, mind you. Seems a bit unexpected as the original game/demo worked amazingly well on my old A500 back then.
Old 18 November 2010, 00:49   #371
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Not sure here having run mine on my A1200

DJCruicky, it must be nice to see your work getting positive attention.HZ isn't your usual type of game so it stands out a little more i would say.All of this a little part of Amiga's history of course and i'd be right proud
Old 18 November 2010, 01:20   #372
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Asking For Some Help with HOL Screen shots...

Hello - I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand with grabbing some screen shots from the PD and Shareware games that are occasionally re-discovered in this thread.

I think that each game discovered should receive an entry into the Hall of Light with as much detail and as many screen shots as possible.
In this way the authors who kindly donate their games are rewarded by seeing their work show-cased along side other classic Amiga titles.

I will continue to track down and contact the authors, hunt for the games and collate the information for the HOL entry - I am asking for someone to help do just the screen shots - I cant keep asking Cody and TCD to do them as they both have many other duties within EAB.

It would only be every so often - I don't find that many games!

If anyone can help please either post here or PM me and I can tell you which game entry we are working on at present.

Thank you

Peter

Here are some general guide lines to do with HOL Screen shots...

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=186800&postcount=1

Last edited by Peter; 18 November 2010 at 01:26.
Old 18 November 2010, 19:52   #373
Zagrebista

DJCruicky, you are a star. Thank you!
Old 18 November 2010, 20:12   #374
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Is it just me though, or does this new HZ not work under an A500 or A600 config (or at least a 68000)? The disk itself won't even boot under 1.3, and on 2.0-3.1 it gives me a Suspend/Reboot window. It works wonders under a quickstart A1200 config, mind you. Seems a bit unexpected as the original game/demo worked amazingly well on my old A500 back then.
Hi MethodGit, Yes I found that too. I was just about post about it, I spotted that last night about the A500/600 not working. When I updated the game this past week, I re-compiled it with the newer AmiBlitz3, unknown to me 500/600 support is broke in that for many of the commands I programmed the game with. Good news is I still have the older Blitz 2 and can confirm it will work again, for 500/600 Amigas. I'll fix and update the link with a new download. I will post back when ready. Hopefully I'll not add more bugs to the game in doing so . "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I think I'll split the 2 games up onto 2 different discs too, as I can not figure out how to make a loading menu that also works on a Amiga 500 1.3.
(I never knew how to do that 15 years ago let alone now ). Probably better on 2 discs any way.
Thanks all again for nice comments.
DJCruicky
Old 19 November 2010, 02:11   #375
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

There you go, new links below....

HydroZone)(FullV1.02b)
SpeedRacerFX(V1.02b)
...same as before but now should work on A500/A600 Amiga's.
{{I do recommend you playing them on a A1200 or better however.}}

enjoy!!!

Last edited by DJCruicky; 14 January 2023 at 17:37.
Old 19 November 2010, 08:51   #376
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks DJC

TCD - can you please move these over to our Folder... Thanks!

@DJC - Have you investigated our EAB Server yet...?

Take a look at these folder...

Home /Game/Shareware (full versions)

and here...
Home /Collection/PD

Check link below for login details...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633
Old 19 November 2010, 09:03   #377
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
TCD - can you please move these over to our Folder... Thanks!
Done Also renamed the old one to reflect that it needs KS 2.x and includes the SpeedRacer FX demo.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:19   #378
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks TCD
Old 19 November 2010, 09:45   #379
seuden
uber cool demi god

DJCruicky have you thought about porting to iOS? Be nice to see them on the iPhone.
Old 19 November 2010, 14:35   #380
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
I think I'll split the 2 games up onto 2 different discs too, as I can not figure out how to make a loading menu that also works on a Amiga 500 1.3.
(I never knew how to do that 15 years ago let alone now ). Probably better on 2 discs any way.
Thanks all again for nice comments.
DJCruicky
Blitz supports the following functions for the launching of external executables
Code:
Either via AmigaOS: 

commandline$ = "C:myprogram arg1 arg2" 
Execute_ &commandline$,0,0 

or via dos.include that allows more control: 

dos_RunCli {filename.s,priority.l,@stack.l,@waitfinish.l,@cliargs.s} 

dos_RunWB {filename.s}
thanks to Der Wander of Amiforce.de
not sure if they are 1.3 compatible though.

or you could use one of these tools

Thanks once again.