English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 24 October 2010, 10:55   #261
JemyM

I ran some experiments with the recent 2.3.0 and I still have the same issues really.

ModePro is neccessary for me. The 3.0 approach didn't make things better.

Graphics is stable, but I have a lot of artifacts.

Increasing screen hz made the graphics radically sharper.

Autoscaling often causes black lines to appear accross the screen. This may happen without autoscaling, but not as often if Centering is set to Horizental + Vertical.

Line Mode should be Double. Scanlines corrupts the map.

Setting resolution to SuperHires in 2.3.0 crashes WinUAE for me.

Intro screens tend to be corrupted or filled with black lines. "Remove interlace artifacts" fixes this but causes dungeon graphics to be corrupted.

Switching between map and back will sometimes cause the screen to be filled with black lines. "Remove interlace artifacts" fixes this but causes dungeon graphics to be corrupted. Centering Horizental+Vertical makes this rare.

Mouse cursor flicker.
Old 30 October 2010, 17:05   #262
Rudei

The WHDLoad link included earlier in the thread is dead...

Anyone know where else I can obtain this game, I've been after it for years :-) So wish it the SE'98 version had been released!

Kind Regards,
Rude!

Old 30 October 2010, 20:46   #263
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have a look on the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the folder 'Game/Archive/Evils Doom'
Old 01 November 2010, 19:48   #264
Rudei

Thank you so much!!!! :-) Where's those dancing bananas?!!!!!
I owe you a beer!!!

Kind Regards,
Rude!

Old 01 November 2010, 20:30   #265
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You're welcome
Old 07 November 2010, 10:55   #266
Rudei

Are there any maps anywhere for this game, I'm stuck on the Castle Mythrill first level where you've got the workshop and all the towers...

This seems like a pretty lame place to get stuck as no-one else has mentioned it - guess I'm not the hardcore RP gamer I thought I was :-)

Regards,
Rude!

Old 07 November 2010, 14:19   #267
Rudei

Ok just to give a bit more background, I'm on the first Castle Mythrill level, I've explored the whole area - I've found an invisible wall I can walk through and am presented with 3 doors (all locked) - one of those doors can be opened but you need the key (it's probably the west tower thinking about it.)

The main issue is I don't seem to be able to access the cellar - I can open the main door using the key but am presented with another door as well as a note & a torch. The door is shut, I cannot open (although I appear to be able to throw things through it)

This looks like a bug to me, does this ring any bells to anyone?

Cheers,
Rude!

Old 11 November 2010, 09:24   #268
meynaf
son of 68k

I don't remember of any bug in this area, but it's often not obvious. I got stuck once and thought of a bug - until i found i missed something.

You may use the rope to go from one tower to another ; maybe this is what you've missed. If not, perhaps you can provide a saved game so i can see where you are blocked. After all, i finished that game
Old 11 November 2010, 18:53   #269
Rudei

Hey Meynaf

I haven't done the rope thing, but I cannot take it with me when I leave the castle of lost legions, it gets dropped as a useless item.

Do I need to use it with anything to make it 'useful' so it doesn't get droppe when I leave the castle of lost legions dungeons?

Rgards,
Rude!

Old 15 November 2010, 08:12   #270
meynaf
son of 68k

Not really. Forget about everything that gets dropped in previous dungeon.

You should have found some kind of rope in the castle itself, and use it. But perhaps you're blocked before this point ?

You may want to double-check every wall. Sometimes there are small buttons, or fake (illusionnary) walls. Automap helps a lot here.
Old 24 November 2010, 23:33   #271
JemyM

Smile

My playthrough of the entire game on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...A05836080A7FEB

All maps here.
My own faq here.

I would like to know if someone found how to enter the door in the east room in Castle of Lost Legions Level 9.

Last edited by JemyM; 13 December 2010 at 01:00.
Old 27 November 2010, 14:39   #272
Zandig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
My playthrough of the entire game on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...A05836080A7FEB

All maps here.
My own faq here.

And please, if someone find Leggings of Black Sun or Armour of Black Sun let me know, I couldn't find them on my 2nd playthrough (the video).

This is awesome!

Much thanks for the playthrough - never thought I would see it for this RPG.
Old 28 November 2010, 11:47   #273
JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig View Post
Much thanks for the playthrough - never thought I would see it for this RPG.
Neither did I. That's why I did one. Something I have been planning since beating the game the first time.

Time will tell if I will bother with a longplay. Replaying it once more and shut up for 6 hours doesn't sound like fun.
Old 29 November 2010, 15:51   #274
Zandig

JemyM, your playthrough has inspired me to play this RPG again (I had lots of graphical glitches in the past when I tried to play it so basically gave up).

Using ModePro with the settings provided by amigoun made a world of difference. I too still had some graphical issues with Kickstart 3.0 that I don't have when using ModePro. I turned off auto-scaling as well and everything seems to be good so far. If there are any other recommended settings please let me know - but like I said, so far so good
Old 01 December 2010, 09:42   #275
JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandig View Post
JemyM, your playthrough has inspired me to play this RPG again (I had lots of graphical glitches in the past when I tried to play it so basically gave up).

Using ModePro with the settings provided by amigoun made a world of difference. I too still had some graphical issues with Kickstart 3.0 that I don't have when using ModePro. I turned off auto-scaling as well and everything seems to be good so far. If there are any other recommended settings please let me know - but like I said, so far so good
At this moment I haven't found any foolproof setting. There is one called something like "move black lines", but that seem to corrupt the dungeon interface.

It doesn't surprise me that a pure assembler game that try so many new and innovative tricks have problems in WinUAE. I believe the game is rendered in 2 screens, the character portraits on one screen pulled down. Still sad the game was never released properly. The size of the game is close to Lands of Lore and the overland interface is an unique touch. However, the game is severely unbalanced and the story is sometimes annoyingly silly.
Old 09 December 2010, 23:42   #276
JemyM

Duh. I found the Black Sun Armour and Helmet in video 34... :P
Old 10 January 2011, 17:32   #277
Wolfus

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I would like to know if someone found how to enter the door in the east room in Castle of Lost Legions Level 9.
I think there is no way to do that. Maybe some hex-editing like the first solution of Belcoon problem, but that is pretty difficult.
Old 24 February 2013, 01:36   #278
robikz

Hi guys! Sorry for reviving a pretty much decomposed corpse, but I discovered this game just today and I'd like to know some things before I start playing.

First of all, I managed to get this to run in WinUAE on Kickstart 3.0 and Workbench 3.1. Pressing 'V' key in the game says that its version is 1.54. I've also patched the game so it won't crash upon entering the first dungeon. I obtained the "Evilsdoom Patch (by meynaf)" from the FTP server that is mentioned somewhere in this thread. I also got rid of the interlacing glitches; I only get some minor glitching when moving the cursor, but I can live with that.

I have some worries, though. In this thread it's been stated that game has a nasty copy protection mechanism that will get the game stuck at three different places. This can be worked around by hexediting the save game, but I would like to avoid that. People recommend playing on version 1.8 but I can't find anything that would run in WinUAE. I've found only two different, prepackaged .exe files of this game. One of them requires HWA to run, the other is from thecompany. But, to be honest, I'm always paranoid about something that is free but not open source. It just screams "DOWNLOAD ME!" and then continues with a whisper: "and run the spyware that comes with me". There's also an issue with the game's video being a bit squished, but I hope this can be fixed by meddling with WinUAE settings, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Also, the RARed version from the same FTP doesn't work at all. I'm talking about the one that comes with Evil_Guide*.ASCII files. The startup script tries to load "EVIL:prg/loader" program, and this program crashes spectacularly returning a very high exit code. And I didn't forget to fix the paths in the "assign" lines before trying to run the script :)

So, my questions are:
- Will I experience any problems with version 1.54 which was patched with the "Evilsdoom Patch (by meynaf)"?
- Where can I get version 1.8 that can be run in WinUAE (or on a real Amiga, for that matter).

I think this game could use a clean how-to guide. I might even write one, someday. The Internet has some scraps and bits of info, but it's all over the place.

Old 24 February 2013, 08:59   #279
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by robikz View Post
I have some worries, though. In this thread it's been stated that game has a nasty copy protection mechanism that will get the game stuck at three different places. This can be worked around by hexediting the save game, but I would like to avoid that.
The copy protection is 100% removed in the version patched by me. So no worries.

And now the hidden truth : only ONE area is blocked due to copy protection. The last dungeon contains a few non-obvious things so you might think it's protection, but trust me, it's not the case.

Quote:
So, my questions are:
- Will I experience any problems with version 1.54 which was patched with the "Evilsdoom Patch (by meynaf)"?
In theory, no
The game CAN be finished with my version, with no savegame hack at all.

Quote:
- Where can I get version 1.8 that can be run in WinUAE (or on a real Amiga, for that matter).
If i were you i'd just use 1.54. Later versions tried to be more OS friendly but they end up with many graphical glitches.

Quote:
I think this game could use a clean how-to guide. I might even write one, someday. The Internet has some scraps and bits of info, but it's all over the place.
I have finished the game on my A1200, so you can still ask me...
Old 24 February 2013, 10:40   #280
roy bates

the only problem i had with this game is you cant run it if you have a rtg system,i had to totally disable rtg for it to work.