English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 October 2013, 21:41   #1
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Question Need help understanding a sound sample from Putty Squad (SNES)

In Putty Squad, the cat (Dweezil I think is his name) has a voice sample after he tries to kick Putty, drops his bomb and takes off on his skate-board.

I made a short video (13 seconds) of that moment:
[ Show youtube player ]

I have never managed to understand what is said. I hear something like Nee-go-ba. Perhaps "Me go back" or "Me go bar".

Other samples in the game I can understand clearly: Nitro, MIA OK, Though guy, eh etc... but I have some real trouble making sense of this one.

Any help/suggestion will be deeply appreciated.

PS: I heavily compressed the video in order to quickly upload it and it shows. The audio is unaffected I think and the moment it happens is visibile enough in the video for anyone who would want to try themselves.
If need be I'll extract an audio file from the original video I recorded (or record audio directly)
Old 01 October 2013, 22:15   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

It sounds like "We go back." to me, but I've got no idea of the context beyond what you've said above, so that might not be much help, I'm afraid.

PS. If it _is_ "We go back", that might imply that the two characters (Dweezil and Putty) are either old friends or else adversaries, as in "We go back (a long way)".

Last edited by prowler; 01 October 2013 at 22:24.
Old 01 October 2013, 22:24   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

I saw youtube option that can convert in realtime dialogs to subtitles.
Old 01 October 2013, 22:33   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Thanks prowler.

Your PS is particularily interesting because from what I know (I never played the original Putty game throughly and never bothered much with the story) Dweezil was an adversary of Putty in the original game, as he was the cat of the major opponent.
http://puttymoon.predseda.com/story.htm

Perhaps Predseda, being a Putty expert , could confirm or correct what I just wrote.

I must say that I had never heard/read "we go back" with such a meaning (I would only understand the "literal" meaning, as in "we have come to this point, now we go back home").

I have just checked a French-English dictionary and if I translated in English the translation of the translation of "we go back a long way" it would mean something like "we have known each other for quite a while".

I am not sure if it is indeed what the sample is but at least I will have learnt a new English saying thank to you

Last edited by lilalurl; 01 October 2013 at 23:38.
Old 01 October 2013, 22:35   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Surely it's we go bang ?

Forget that, I have slowed it down to normal speed and it's definitely 'WE GO BACK' as suggested before
Old 01 October 2013, 22:40   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I saw youtube option that can convert in realtime dialogs to subtitles.
You mean captions? I think the Youtube icon for those is CC.

That's a good idea you had, but as far as I am aware it is not realtime dialogs transcriptions but the uploader that has to upload a transcription (which is also used as a base for caption translations).

You can see that in the Video Manager screen, by clicking the arrow on the right of the Edit Button. There is a drop down box, with one line dedicated to Captions. It brings a page with all the details.

I am not a Youtube expert though so maybe you are thinking of something else or there is indeed some realtime mechanism available somewhere? Thanks anyway for suggesting that.
Old 01 October 2013, 22:47   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Here's the re-sample I have done, slowed down to a more reasonable and normal speed and pitch for you to mull over
Attached Files
File Type: zip WeGoBack.zip (208.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 01 October 2013, 22:51   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

it's last option:

Old 01 October 2013, 23:32   #9
lilalurl
Global Moderator

@s2325: Thanks, I have activated that now, but it does not seem Youtube consider it is a case for (when available) .
Perhaps it need time to re-process the video. Anyway, thanks again.

@DH: Thanks . Nice idea to slow down the video to hear better, I should have thought of that.

I must admit that although I know hear the "We" more clearly, the end of "back" still sounds a bit short to my ear (still hearing "ba" rather than "back").

But I'll trust ears of native English speakers (reason of this very thread).

I also find it interesting that it was not that obvious even for you (English speaker) at normal speed.
Old 02 October 2013, 00:03   #10
DH
Global Moderator

All speech in Putty has been speeded up, bit like how they do it on cartoons. So it was just a case of slowing the sample down to create a normal pitch and length.

I agree about the back part being a little short, however, depending on the accent/dialect can also depend on the speed at which it's being said. Where I live, you would probably have exactly the same problem with the word

Also, they may have cut it short because of space issues too.
Old 02 October 2013, 08:06   #11
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Happy

Well, I know similar issues with some French regional accents. Poor tourists must suffer sometimes I guess

A bit off-topic, but back on the topic of automatic captions that I have now activated (but it still does not work on the Putty video so I guess it does not recognize it as speech).

I have since then watched a video review of Superfrog HD. I must say the speech recognition has to worked on. I think real-time recognition (I believe is what is used) in other words not trained to the Youtube uploader voice, is far from ready (although it is far from bad).

Here are two examples. If you activate the option in your account, you can check by yourself. I'll let everyone take a guess to what the reviewer actually says:

Here is the video link just a bit before the following screenshots were taken.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 October 2013, 00:46   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
I have since then watched a video review of Superfrog HD. I must say the speech recognition has to worked on. I think real-time recognition (I believe is what is used) in other words not trained to the Youtube uploader voice, is far from ready (although it is far from bad).

Here are two examples. If you activate the option in your account, you can check by yourself. I'll let everyone take a guess to what the reviewer actually says:

Reviewer says: "Anyway, level one - let's go! ..erm.. This is a rendition of.."

Quote:
"..a game that I ..erm.. [I grew up with it, basically.]"

Quote:

Here is the video link just a bit before the following screenshots were taken.
[ Show youtube player ]
Yep, that speech recognition is haphazard, to say the least!

Thanks for the demonstration!
Old 03 October 2013, 21:06   #13
lilalurl
Global Moderator

An update

I got a reply to the Youtube video, from someone who is apparently Phil Thornton (designer of the game and co-designer of Putty from what I know).

Quote:
He's saying 'Dweezil Bomb'.
I must admit that when listening to the video at a slower speed it is at least as convincing as "we go back".

At least to my ear. Native English speakers, opinions please?

Anyway, I will soon thank him for his reply. I guess I can try to ask him additional questions or perhaps invite him to EAB if some members are interested.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the main board so that people with interest for this might take a look and post what they think?
Old 03 October 2013, 22:20   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe this thread should be moved to the main board so that people with interest for this might take a look and post what they think?
Good suggestion. Moved to Retrogaming General Discussion forum.

Edit:
Quote:
I got a reply to the Youtube video, from someone who is apparently Phil Thornton (designer of the game and co-designer of Putty from what I know).

Quote:
He's saying 'Dweezil Bomb'.
I must admit that when listening to the video at a slower speed it is at least as convincing as "we go back".

At least to my ear. Native English speakers, opinions please?
Yes, I fully agree with your assessment. It's certainly no easier to understand when you know what he's meant to be saying. If anything, it still sounds more convincing as 'We go back' to me. .

Quote:
Anyway, I will soon thank him for his reply. I guess I can try to ask him additional questions or perhaps invite him to EAB if some members are interested.
Yes, please! I'm always interested to hear the thoughts of contributors to the retrocomputing scene back in the day.

Last edited by prowler; 03 October 2013 at 22:34.
Old 16 October 2013, 11:43   #15
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Yes, please! I'm always interested to hear the thoughts of contributors to the retrocomputing scene back in the day.
I just got a reply.

Philip Thornton is ready to answer questions from EAB members, so feel free to leave some here and I'll transmit them to him.

He might also join the forums later, but he will wait until the situation of the Amiga version of Putty Squad (which he has been investigating on his side) is resolved before doing that.