English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2009, 23:36   #41
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Well I've just got Street fighter 4 in the post... I'll compare it to SFII when I get my miggy shall I?
mmmmm dont heat thy furnace so hot thou doth singe thy self

i am not convinced by 3d in EVERY game. Street fighter 2 i played for years on the nintendo, bet i dont on xbox. I think 2d actually suits some games. perhaps i am just old
Old 19 February 2009, 23:43   #42
Spectre

Send a message via MSN to Spectre
Imo street fighter has a focus on gameplay which a 3d engine doesn't detract from. Agreed, 3d gfx don't improve the game either, but the playability is there in spades. However, speaking as a massive street fighter fan who owns numerous titles in arcade format, the level of playability has not improved dramatically since World Warrior (1991). Which supports my original point
Old 19 February 2009, 23:55   #43
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbennett View Post
I was reading the Amiga Inc thread and to me like others have said is dead but it still exists as a hobby for retro lovers. Similar to people who still listen to frank sinatra etc. But when do you think the Amiga scene will be completely dead? Once, we the amiga generation, die, will the Amiga scene with it? Or will there be people who never had an Amiga in the originals days keep the scene alive in say 40 years. Might have its plus sides, when most Amigans have died you may be able to pick up and sx-32 pro for a £10 and a blizzard for £5 when there grand children find it in the loft.
I'm a newbie, eg never had an Amiga in the original days

I think if OS 4.x doesn't bring some new users into the fold then it will dwindle as we all get too old to type.
Old 20 February 2009, 01:45   #44
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Given the fact that my dad has a 75 yo car and a 300 yo clock I'd say probably never.
Alex, you're a good guy, but you know that's a poor analogy. Apples and oranges.
Old 20 February 2009, 01:53   #45
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Not ALL modern games are crap... At the moment I am addicted to Trackmania
Old 20 February 2009, 03:00   #46
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
Not ALL modern games are crap... At the moment I am addicted to Trackmania
True, SF4 is very pretty and I'm sure it will keep me occupied until I get my miggy .

Did anyone try the new version of Sensible Soccer (2006) released by codemasters ? Some things should be left alone....Maybe it wasn't so bad, I only played the demo, but it felt like a quick cash-in on the classic franchise.

And for anyone who cares... I've gotten back into Vinyl as well

whats a CD again ?

Last edited by asm1; 20 February 2009 at 03:10.
Old 20 February 2009, 12:04   #47
Spectre

Send a message via MSN to Spectre
I have both sensible soccer rereleases They both play ok, but without the "world" bit in the title there is no more replayability for me. I can win every game 14-0 so without the fun of building a world beating side from a team of all reserve players and a starting budget of 100k, whats the point?
Old 20 February 2009, 12:14   #48
DH
Global Moderator

The true end of the Amiga will be when every mother f@#ker's dead. The Amiga will live as long as us and other Amiga enthusiasts carry it on, when this ends they'll all end up as scrap or in museums for our future grandchildren's children to gorp at

There, that ends the thread now. pointless carrying this pointless thread on any longer.
Old 20 February 2009, 14:28   #49
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
think DH has caught something from leytond about closeing threads hehehehhe

prehapse the end will come when all threads are closed/locked
Old 20 February 2009, 14:32   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you make marco a GM that day might come really soon
Old 21 February 2009, 19:06   #51
Hurrah Brother
Caution, Buffoon Posting!

Yup, end of Commodore.

Under escom, it could have bounced back, They went of re-releasing the 1200 and the 4000, should have included the CD32 in that (sales were good, support had not yet died off). That said, financing wise, it was very much the wrong company to had bough Commodore. it was doomed.

Does anyone know why Gateway bought Amiga/escom? 'Cause when they did, they seem not to have any idea or clue what to do with it? That more or less ended the Amiga as a viable brand/product.
Old 22 February 2009, 00:05   #52
Brakus

IMO, the Amiga will die when we all reach pension age...
In Oz pensioners earn about $280/week... Only just enough for an Indivision SD/FF.
Although I may still be willing to forego eating for a VGA display, I reckon my wife may finally draw the line...

And I don't think my son and his generation will carry the torch either, I know what that look he gives me means when I show him my latest Amiga acquisition... He's thinking "Wheres the media player?"
Old 22 February 2009, 17:33   #53
DH
Global Moderator

Strange, my 11 year old son is intrigued by the C64 and the Amiga, he's even asked me to put the emulators onto his PC, so he can play all the amazing and classic games from the late 80's to the mid 90's.

So expecting the Amiga to be completely obsolete aint gonna happen, not if my son and others have anything to do with it. Of course, he's yet to meet his first girl for more than friendship and maybe then his interest will die
Old 22 February 2009, 18:00   #54
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Send a message via MSN to Chuck-Rock-Jnr
Quote:
I was reading the Amiga Inc thread and to me like others have said is dead but it still exists as a hobby for retro lovers. Similar to people who still listen to frank sinatra etc. But when do you think the Amiga scene will be completely dead? Once, we the amiga generation, die, will the Amiga scene with it? Or will there be people who never had an Amiga in the originals days keep the scene alive in say 40 years. Might have its plus sides, when most Amigans have died you may be able to pick up and sx-32 pro for a £10 and a blizzard for £5 when there grand children find it in the loft.

I'm 16 and love the amiga, so hopefully there are others like me who can carry the scene on a little further!
Old 22 February 2009, 18:05   #55
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Rock-Jnr View Post
I'm 16 and love the amiga, so hopefully there are others like me who can carry the scene on a little further!
Hi mate. Go here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42792 and tell us your story. Im very intrested.
Old 23 February 2009, 16:43   #56
Chuck-Rock-Jnr

Send a message via MSN to Chuck-Rock-Jnr
Quote:
Hi mate. Go here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42792 and tell us your story. Im very intrested.
cool!
Old 13 March 2009, 02:19   #57
ImmortalA1000

I think gameplay is fine if you are playing the right game I loved playing Lotus II but there is nothing wrong with Outrun II and I loved playing Wings and Blazing Angels is amazing too.

Anyway....I still have working VIC20s and C64s let alone Amigas so should be ok to have some left over to leave in my will haha It's hard to say when you will no longer have an Amiga section on ebay which would surely mark the final years of Amigas no? Home computers have only been around maybe a decade before the Amiga and people still remember the VIC20/ZX81 and the Atari 2600 really so it will be a long time, especially with UAE around
Old 13 March 2009, 13:40   #58
Madcrow

The only thing I've noticed is that the Amiga doesn't inspire as much new software as some of the older platforms. If one was to compare software releases, for example, the C64 is more "alive" than the Amiga, as more games and demos get released for C64...

I do agree that the "death" of Amiga is far in the future.
Old 13 March 2009, 16:08   #59
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
My amiga died when I found it to much effort to turn the amiga on, and just used winuae instead
Old 13 March 2009, 18:09   #60
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Well I hope our kids will find it fun enough to become Amiga nerds themselves. Atleast I can't wait until my kid gets old enough to play Rick Dangerous among other fun games with me! And even if it stays at that it doesn't really matter to me, atleast I've had a whole heap of fun with it during my lifetime and hopefully my kid did too. I for one am gonna teach good creative computing to my kids so that the first thing they encounter is not XBOX 5000.