English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 November 2001, 13:36   #1
sgt_chimp

Question Memory question

When using an A600 to play games made for a 1MB machine. If I upgraded to 2MB would this reduce disk swapping , This may sound stupid but I thought maybe if it had a spare meg it could keep more info onboard and thus cut down on disk swapping?

Old 30 November 2001, 13:54   #2
oldpx

Getting a HD will save you a lot of trouble but extra RAM won't help you with old games.

There are some exclusions like hired guns which can benefit from extra RAM but not in terms of disk swapping.

I heard there's a trick to prevent disk swapping (but I haven't tried it) If you are trying to play an AmigaDOS game like "Pirates!" load Workbench, and using the RAD: dosdriver, create a virtual disk that resides in memory. You need to modify the size of this disk and I think it can be modified like a text file. Now copy the contents of your real disks into this drive and boot from RAD:
Don't forget to save your games elsewhere since that drive is not permanent and will flush with memory.

Old 30 November 2001, 17:10   #3
Amiga1992

Well, info in the RAD doesn't go away unless you cold reset or power off the Amiga... This means that with a normal Ctrl+LAmiga+Ramiga sequence, your RAD drive will keep its info. This is one of the differences of a Ram Drive with a Ram Disk. The other one, is that the RAD emulates a trackdisk device. Think of it as a lightning fast disk drive. Excellent for DOS games or apps.

Some games DO USE the extra RAM as a sort of cache to allow less disk swapping, but most games do not take advantage of it this way. Other enhancements you might find are little extra graphic stuff (Skidmarks 2), or perhaps more audio (like in Mortal Kombat 2 or Uridium 2).

I recommend the purchase of a 1 MB expansion for your A600 . Get one with a clock, too!

I will be getting an 030 but this bitch wont fit inside my A600 with my harddrive, if you want an 030 you have to tower it (afaik, I'll be glad to be corrected )