English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old Yesterday, 17:59   #1
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Is there a non Powerup version of XPK BZIP library?

I have found some old archives that I had created in lzx but then compressed with xpk bzip (note, not xpk bzip2). I believe I did this using a PPC enabled client library on my old BlizzPPC but as far as I can tell there's no corresponding 68K one. I have the 68K xpk bzip2 libraries and these have worked fine decrunching some other archives that were compressed with a PPC enabled xpk bzip2 library.

Am I all out of luck? I don't really want to have to set up a whole blizzppc emulation to extract this.
Old Yesterday, 18:18   #2
DisasterIncarna

does XPK do its own thing or does it make BZ files? only thing i see around is something like https://aminet.net/package/dev/src/xad_bzip but this isnt an XPK thing. only really used XFDDecrunch from XFDMaster to cleanse old packed files, no idea if it can handle it, guessing not if you dont already have a bzip lib.

http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/xadmaster020 has a bzip lib, maybe XFDDecrunch can interact with xad in some roundabout way? no idea.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; Yesterday at 18:33.
Old Yesterday, 18:32   #3
Karlos
Alien Bleed

XPK seems to put a container around the compressed data. I could probably have a go at figuring out the actual compressed chunk inside it and it may well be a valid bzip file.
Old Yesterday, 18:48   #4
DisasterIncarna

I'm glad i stuck to using more 'normal' XPK libs back then, i remember when i got an Amiga600 with a crappy 20MB HD, i ended up using https://aminet.net/package/util/pack/epu14 to compress my non-workbench partition using XPKNUKE, originally taking the bad call of testing/trying XPKSHRI which sucked the life out of the A600, but when it worked this resulted in everything written to my work partition being XPK'd which at the time helped....a little, made life difficult when shit went wrong tho.
Old Yesterday, 20:41   #5
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Well, I did it the hard way. I located the bzip xpk and corresponding PowerUp elf files (from 1997!) in yet another backup, cobbled together a barely functional 3.9/PowerUp (not WarpOS) UAE config and managed to decompress the file with that. And it was mindbogglingly slow too. Lzx reports the archive tests out.
Old Yesterday, 20:43   #6
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Lesson learned. Don't assume your compressed data will be easily recovered 20 years later.
Old Yesterday, 23:30   #7
DisasterIncarna

an eventual success is still a success.
Old Today, 10:37   #8
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I wonder what else I've compressed with it.