English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 June 2024, 02:15   #41
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
Datastorm is one I really like, my favourite Defenderesque game on the Amiga (though I'd Dropzone rather than Defender really). E-Motion is a bit too 'out there' for me, feels like luck plays a very big part. Those two both came with the Astra Pack from Siicia and some other UK (and maybe beyond) retailers in 1991 / 1992 or so, so some people will have them.

Blob felt pretty cool but I didn't spend that long with it.

If I had more time I'd go through every single game mentioned in this list to form an opinion on them.
UK amirite? There were some packs here later, but not to the extent I understand happened in the UK. This may throw the numbers a bit, but I am actively searching for the rarer ones I think people haven't seen to stream them.

100% with you on Dropzone.

Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
JFC YES! YES YES YES! One of the first games I played on my A1000 after a mate dropped a load of cracked floppies round for me. Vertical R-Type-esque with an absolutely terrific sound sample from Cabaret Voltaire as the BGM.

Such great memories of looping around this level after level - a surprise hit from Kingsoft.
This is one I've picked up lately which I similarly dubbed 'R-Type In Vertical' It is tough for me and I haven't given it enough effort to decide if it's as gemmy as the famous, brilliant, and tough R-Type, though.

It might also have sold well in the alps countries, possibly excluding East Germany, even if it had just been freed at the time.

I wanted to mention X-Out, another tough shooter, but I have seen it being picked up.

Fuzzball, love the guys involved but it's an old style pixel platformer with memorization and time limit added. I think the graphics and music is awesome, but it's far from a gem for me for the reason of gameplay.

I love thrusty games, and I've probably played Zarathrusta. It might be worth trying again.
Old 04 June 2024, 04:23   #42
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
This article actually does a pretty good job mentioning a lot of them (at least when you look at #50-10) https://www.denofgeek.com/games/unde...e-amiga-games/
Thanks for the link! I thought this was a really good list of games I never heard much about. Odyssey for instance was something I only really saw on stream and it represented the game well. It didn't represent the streamer well though as they couldn't work out that the thing they were trying over and over was failing because it wasn't supposed to be the solution

I've never heard someone talk about enjoying playing Conqueror before, so that was interesting. Personally we enjoyed playing two player Firepower and it was one of our personal gems.

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=411
Old 05 June 2024, 08:46   #43
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
JFC YES! YES YES YES! One of the first games I played on my A1000 after a mate dropped a load of cracked floppies round for me. Vertical R-Type-esque with an absolutely terrific sound sample from Cabaret Voltaire as the BGM.

Such great memories of looping around this level after level - a surprise hit from Kingsoft.
Does deserve and need a remake and a good one as well!
Old 05 June 2024, 12:58   #44
Iskbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I remember Microbes from an Amiga Format coverdisk, think that was pretty neat. Drivin' Force is certainly better than the official Power Drift conversion, but still a bit disorientating, and the impacts with objects feels a bit dizzying somehow. X-It I remember being quite good fun, even if its little more than Soko Ban. Typhoon Thompson is fun, original and clever - and to think they nearly didn't bother converting it from the ST....
I originally played Typhoon Thompson on the Apple IIe, one of best and later games on that system. I played it at a friends house a fair bit but never knew it was on the Amiga until years later. Was quite a surprise once I gave it a try, the Amiga version is possibly the definitive version of the game.

Microbes was one of those pleasant surprises you occasionally get from cover disks. It showed up a bit later in the Amiga's life and was damn good fun. Easy to overlook though, I can't remember it getting a normal commercial release.

There's a cover disk I sort of remember which was an isometric game, possibly a demo that never got a full release. I think it was a cover disk somewhere around 93-94, It reminds me a bit of Kiro's quest but not exactly the same, but you sort of jump between raised platforms at times and it's flick screen. The game was very good from memory and fairly fast paced.

Unfortunately I can not remember what it was called and have never been able to find it on Lemon Amiga. It looked better quality than a Public Domain game (but who knows?). Any suggestions?
Old 05 June 2024, 21:18   #45
haynor666
retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
What did you like about this that made it a gem?
Yes, I know controlling aircraft is hard but I liked such games in the past. I've played Hyperion again after many years and from all games based on this engine this might frustrating experience just like Virus

Unlike many 3D games on amiga those were quite fast and really don't like when games are choppy and sluggish