English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 02 June 2024, 12:49   #1
remz

winUAE - Is there a profiler

Hi everyone,
Alongside the useful features of the WinUAE debugger, is there a way to profile code?
What I would have in mind could be something as simple as setting up "dummy marker instructions", a bit like some use move 4,4 to place a no-side-effect instruction that can be used as an easy to remember breakpoint with "w 4 4".

My question would something similar which a tool could intercept and start calculating time/clock cycles/etc between the next occurence of that same marker.

This would allow monitor and graphing in realtime the performance for multiple section of a game main loop, without having to introduce the couting and printing code directly in the Amiga code.

Maybe as a broader question: what could I use for profiling my game? (i.e.: mainly for games that are not tied to the vertical sync and could have a main loop taking multiple frames, thus making for color 0 marker bars inconvenient).
Many thanks, as always!
Old 02 June 2024, 23:00   #2
paraj

Bartman's VSCode extension has something like that built in: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...ss.amiga-debug

I usually just use a couple of counters displayed on screen, since that also works when running on real HW. Exactly like here: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116656&page=3

Also just looking at the DMA debugger visualization usually gives a very good idea of where chip cycles are spent. I have also occasionally done custom builds of WinUAE to do custom profiling (though that was for "whdload speedup projects", not A500 512+512 stuff).