English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 May 2024, 19:46   #21
Del G

Haha good old Pitfighter. The computer ports were fair compared to the Snes version. That really was a terrible conversion. You couldn't give it away back bitd. I paid a fiver brand new and felt done over
Old 11 May 2024, 00:38   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

God. I'm in half a mind to play the SNES version now. But I don't want pain to start to not feel good.
Old 12 May 2024, 13:24   #23
rabidgerry

Played again last night and beat the game! Got my highest score to date and 2nd on high score board!

Yup I still enjoy it for all it's failings!
Old 13 May 2024, 09:25   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I have the dedicated 3 player arcade cab in my office. I bought it for "spare parts" for my Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters (which uses the same cab) but felt it was too nice to break.
Old 15 May 2024, 06:24   #25
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
I was browsing ebay today and came across a listing that sparked memories. Pit Fighter was a game that I, my sister and my cousin absolutely LOVED playing in 2 Player mode. We would play it for hours having mindless fun, and it would never get old. It was one of those guilty pleasures that, only today, I learned the world did not share, like, at all. I went online to do a google search on "Pit Fighter Amiga" and apparently this port seems to have been reviewed terribly by the press and appears to be generally reviled by most of the Amiga user base. To be honest, I'm pretty shocked and do not quite understand what the overwhelming negative reception may be due to. Did I just like it because I never played the arcade version so the port was not 'inferior' to 10 year old me? What did you guys think of this game at the time? Did anyone else actually enjoy it or am I the only one?
Pit fighter is one of my guilty pleasure games and I still enjoy playing it on the Sega Genesis. Clearly, the arcade game is superior but the Amiga version did not turn out half bad.

If anyone is interested I have done a short documentary on it a few years ago. This could definitely use a remake what with the new info I've learned on the game and its follow-up.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 May 2024, 06:26   #26
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
There is one move I cannot do which I believe is a pile driver with the wrestler character. Everything else I can pull off.

Running headbutt
Running kick
Body Slam whilst opponent is down
kneeling on opponent and punching them whilst down
Some kind of suplex
Punch
Kick

Have I forgotten anything?

I wouldn't say it was a punch kick game, has as many moves or more than Double Dragon. In fact I spend most time not punching and kicking as going toe to toe in this game is futile and you have to try the other moves to get anywhere, shit but in a good way

Each fighter has the super move but they were not put into the Amiga version for some reason
Old 15 May 2024, 12:38   #27
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanQC View Post
Pit fighter is one of my guilty pleasure games and I still enjoy playing it on the Sega Genesis. Clearly, the arcade game is superior but the Amiga version did not turn out half bad.

If anyone is interested I have done a short documentary on it a few years ago. This could definitely use a remake what with the new info I've learned on the game and its follow-up.

[ Show youtube player ]

it is, it's a guilty pleasure. The people who hate it think we are lunatics!

Anyways I enjoy it, apart from not being able to start the game again and pick a different character, what is that actually about?

I will watch your little documentary as I am interested.

One thing puzzles me, apparently the character "Heavy Metal" was played by a female actress called Kim Rhodes?

It definitely looks like a guy in the arcade version and Amiga version. Know what that's all about by any chance?
Old 15 May 2024, 14:04   #28
PatmanQC

Quote:
it is, it's a guilty pleasure. The people who hate it think we are lunatics!

Anyways I enjoy it, apart from not being able to start the game again and pick a different character, what is that actually about?

I will watch your little documentary as I am interested.

One thing puzzles me, apparently the character "Heavy Metal" was played by a female actress called Kim Rhodes?

It definitely looks like a guy in the arcade version and Amiga version. Know what that's all about by any chance?
No, it is definitely a guy. However, the actor may have been Asian which would explain Kim as the first name. Atari did flirt with the idea of using women dressed like men in their follow-up game guardians of the hood where the final boss Mr. big is actually a woman.

I've done a video on that as well so check my archives.
Old 15 May 2024, 19:19   #29
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanQC View Post
No, it is definitely a guy. However, the actor may have been Asian which would explain Kim as the first name. Atari did flirt with the idea of using women dressed like men in their follow-up game guardians of the hood where the final boss Mr. big is actually a woman.

I've done a video on that as well so check my archives.
No man, it's definitely listed as this actress.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0722476/?ref_=tt_cl_t_8

In the game though to me it's a bloke alright.

Do an internet search for Kim Rhodes Pitfighter you'll see this actress pop up everywhere unless the internet is totally linking to the wrong person.
Old 15 May 2024, 19:23   #30
rabidgerry

aha!! got to 14 posts down! I knew I had read an interview where she said she played two characters. So she did her voice (must be the arcade version then)

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/thr...famous.231021/
Old 15 May 2024, 23:21   #31
CCRider

Whoa, Pit Fighter. Talk about my biggest gaming guilty pleasure (if my nickname and avatar tells anything about it).

Still remember when I first saw it on an arcade, in early 1991. Huge crowds around the cabinet, to say the least.

To me, the best port by far is the Mega Drive one. The Amiga version looked quite good too, and also sported that wicked soundtrack by the one and only Matt Furniss. Too bad it didn't played that well, and didn't have music+sfx at the same time...
Old 16 May 2024, 12:45   #32
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Whoa, Pit Fighter. Talk about my biggest gaming guilty pleasure (if my nickname and avatar tells anything about it).

Still remember when I first saw it on an arcade, in early 1991. Huge crowds around the cabinet, to say the least.

To me, the best port by far is the Mega Drive one. The Amiga version looked quite good too, and also sported that wicked soundtrack by the one and only Matt Furniss. Too bad it didn't played that well, and didn't have music+sfx at the same time...
You are obsessed with picking up and fighting with the stick in the Amiga version even when there is a better weapon available!

Welcome to the guilty pleasure club.

Having watched videos of the Mega Drive version, yes it does look quite good. More like the arcade but smaller scale.
Old 16 May 2024, 13:11   #33
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post

I would have even been down for a Mega Drive port of the little known spiritual sequel Guardians of The Hood.
Old 16 May 2024, 14:52   #34
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would have even been down for a Mega Drive port of the little known spiritual sequel Guardians of The Hood.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 May 2024, 15:31   #35
PatmanQC

Quote:
aha!! got to 14 posts down! I knew I had read an interview where she said she played two characters. So she did her voice (must be the arcade version then)

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/thr...famous.231021/
Excellent info, thanks
Old 16 May 2024, 23:33   #36
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Release the Kraken!
Old 18 May 2024, 00:05   #37
A500

I played the Amiga version a lot, if I remember correctly I got quite far in it. Mindless fun