English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 28 September 2004, 22:06   #21
Bloodwych

How does AIAB work on a 030? Must be fairly slow.
Old 29 September 2004, 08:45   #22
DopPie
Zone Friend

It is acceptable. As you stated; I did some cutting down of it's features. No birdie , forget that on aga. Magicmenu was reconfigured since menu's appearing on right mouse click are extremely slow. Now I only use the pulldown version. MCP has to be re-tweaked.

Unfortunately I forgot what else I did to it.
I have it running now fairly stable and responsive.

The features of classic wb are much numerous though. More handy programs and a good organisation. What tools or utilities? Keep it simple and create a programs folder full of goodies. That's why I want to abandon my AIAB config. It will take me some time to get my AIAB setup to classic wb levels. The support on this forum proves to be a big plus too. But that was not your question.

I do have a speedy 030 for the job. Its a 40 Mhz. I wonder how my miggy would do on a 25Mhz version. The CPU helps but since I want to run 256 colours for nice eye candy I will run into some chipset limitations. I wonder how classic wb will perform since it does not seem to have any patches.

Don't you have a real amiga to test this all on?
Old 29 September 2004, 17:51   #23
Bloodwych

Yes I have a real Amiga 1200 - 8MB Fastram, 3.0 ROMS (hence no issues with the original setpatch) but no accelerator. Don't have it at hand at the moment though.

The ClassicWB runs fast on a 14Mhz 020 so I don't think you'll suffer any speed issues. It should fly. I've never attempted AIAB on my machine, pointless. In fact, that's why I made the ClassicWB setups in the first place.

Hope you find it useful. Let me know if the new setpatch works. As a further test, I replaced setpatch in AIAB with the original WB3.1 commodore one and dopus crashed with the same error. You could try the same trick on your current A1200 setup confirming that it's setpatch before re-installing.
Old 29 September 2004, 19:24   #24
DopPie
Zone Friend

Well, Ive had it with bathroom tiles for today. Time to do some computing with the ol amiga.

We'll see. I'll let you know.

BTW:
Why are all those assings calles A-Games: A-Programs: A-whatever.... I'm sure you have a better reason than 'A stands for amiga' since we all know what kind of machine we are using.

It is not a handy choice of name cause when you want to create some kind of sorting A-Games B-Games you'll run into a name clash. And it looks weird to in my opinion.

Last edited by DopPie; 29 September 2004 at 20:17.
Old 29 September 2004, 21:30   #25
Bloodwych

Tiling is tiring and dull. But these things must be done.

As for the assigns - I find them very useful - again it's in the docs:

Quote:
At the start of the "S/User-Startup" file, assigns were added so common folders can be accessed and referred to easily in file requesters, programs, CLI and Scalos scripts.

They're in the format "A-x", where "x" is the folder name. The prefix "A-" was added so they appear at the top of file requesters. If any of these folders differ in location (eg games folder is on DH1: not DH0 then feel free to edit these assigns. Once edited, the popup menus will also be updated with the new location of a given folder as will file requesters.
So there you have it. The key folders appear at the top of every file requester instead of having to scroll down. Plus if you want to move the programs, demos, games etc folders to a different partition all you have to do is change one line in s/user-startup.

If the assigns weren't there, after moving a given folder you'd have to search through the Workbench, preferences, icons, scripts and update every single link manually - and that's a lot of links!

The games folder is still called only "Games" and has alphabetical folders inside for sorting. "A-Games" is just a virtual link with a fixed path specified in the user-startup.
Old 29 September 2004, 21:51   #26
MSC
Zone Friend

Thankyou Bloodwych.

In an earlier post, i was also having problems with Dopus on classic workbench(WINUAE). I posted it in prb apps because i was sure it was nothing to do with Classic WB as it worked in AIAB. Changing the rom worked, so i assumed i had a dodgy rom file.

Now all has become clear. I can confirm the behaviour with dopus is related to setpatch and now the problem is no more.

Due to my unwell A1200, I had been using AIAB for a while, but your classic WB just "feels" more like my Amiga.

Mark
Old 11 October 2004, 22:53   #27
DopPie
Zone Friend

So I finally installed classic WB onto my real A1200. The setpatch trick fixes the dopus problem indeed.

I kept the A-<name> trick. It seems handy after all. Replaced the editor with gold-ed and I modified some scalos settings. Also the shell is using KCon hand has a close gatget. This was omitted.

I'm posting this message using IBrowse and Classic WB on my A1200. Pretty cool! She does fly compared to AIAB.
Although I missed the screentab. Therefore I installed alttabber from aminet and clicktofront commodity. Also MagicMenu and HDSleep were added. Cant remember what else I changed.

I abandoned the tooldock idea. Couldn't get it to use newicons and I thought it was too much of a hassle using iffs or something.

Anyway keep up the good work. This setup is ideal for some whd gaming ;-)

Greetz
Erno

P.S I can confirm the skidmarks problem.
Old 11 October 2004, 23:25   #28
Bloodwych

Glad the base install came in handy DopPie. Hope the tiling went well too.

The missing close buttons on KCON windows are an oversight that have been fixed for the next release. As have the Dopus (new setpatch) and Skidmarks (remove topazpatch) issues. The new versions will also have a great dopus config too so watch out for them, as you may want to rip bits out for your new setup.

I wish you many hours of quality WHDload gaming ahead.
Old 12 October 2004, 08:27   #29
DopPie
Zone Friend

Thanks.

The tiling is almost finished and went ....for an amateur....acceptable.

Looking forward to the new release.

Perhaps its a good idea to add compact flash support. Or will that be too A600/1200 specific?

Greetz
Erno
Old 12 October 2004, 11:59   #30
Bloodwych

I'll look into adding support. As you said however, may be a little specific for a base install.

New packages are up.