English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 July 2023, 07:04   #1
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Death Rally port released

Enter the corrupt racing world of Death Rally, where defensive driving means annihilating your opponents. You'll become ravenous for the power and glory that comes with being the best at Death Rally, but first you must pay your dues. Put the pedal to the metal and smash, blast, and obliterate the competition, to earn the chance to face the undefeated master, "The Adversary". Make deals with loan sharks and mob bosses to get the cash you need to build the ultimate battle racing machine. Remember, no trick is too dirty, no spectator too innocent, in your savage quest for the checkered flag.

The Amiga port is now "officially" out, you can get the package from Aminet and the complete source code is released as well. If you have the latest version from May there isn't much new, but I rebuilt the executables from the cleaned up sources.

Amiga version:
http://aminet.net/package/game/race/drally

Game data:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3..._Rally_Classic

Soruce code:
https://github.com/BSzili/dRally/tree/amiga

Development thread:
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114226
Old 26 July 2023, 15:05   #2
wiz12

Thanks BSzili, is this official release more optimised over the May release when you say it's built from cleaned up sources?
Old 26 July 2023, 16:14   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Thank you for all your hard work. You have done some very nice things for us this last few years. We all appreciate it.
Old 26 July 2023, 17:56   #4
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Thanks BSzili, is this official release more optimised over the May release when you say it's built from cleaned up sources?
It's functionally the same, most of what I removed was already commented out or never called. I only build fresh executables to make sure any changes I made since won't get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Thank you for all your hard work. You have done some very nice things for us this last few years. We all appreciate it.
Cheers! It's always nice if there are people who have fun with these.
Old 26 July 2023, 18:11   #5
zzbylu
Saberman

Awesome Amiga port!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 July 2023, 18:23   #6
nikosidis

Thanks for your work on this. Had quite some fun with this on Pistorm32.
Old 27 July 2023, 23:24   #7
AmyMor

Would it be possible to change the graphic resolution of the menus and the presentation?
Old 28 July 2023, 07:41   #8
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Unfortunately not. The menus are hardcoded for 640x480 and the gameplay for 320x200.
Old 01 November 2023, 13:10   #9
derSammler

Is it possible to add a gamma correction option? The game is so dark that it is not really playable.
Old 01 November 2023, 15:54   #10
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Although I disagree with that broad sweeping statement, gamma correction shouldn't be hard to implement.
Old 01 November 2023, 15:59   #11
derSammler

Well, for me, a racing game is unplayable when it is so dark that you can't see corners on most tracks. And that is the case. The DOS version seems a bit brighter, maybe due to color space. But even that... well, just an example:

(I think the light mapping in that DOS screenshot is not present in the Amiga port?)

Gamma control would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	145310-death-rally-dos-downtown-found-some-money.png
Views:	525
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	80625  
Old 01 November 2023, 16:11   #12
derSammler

btw, I have a strange bug with the game. I can not play the very first race. It starts, shows the keys that are available in-game and then when pressing fire, the race is immediately over and it shows the results. This only happens with the first race of a new game.

Also, the console output window stays open after quitting the game and can not be closed.
Old 01 November 2023, 21:50   #13
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Well, for me, a racing game is unplayable when it is so dark that you can't see corners on most tracks. And that is the case. The DOS version seems a bit brighter, maybe due to color space. But even that... well, just an example:

(I think the light mapping in that DOS screenshot is not present in the Amiga port?)

Gamma control would be awesome.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by light mapping. Please provide provide a screenshot of the same level from the Amiga version as well, and if possible please mark what is missing. It doesn't have to be the same exact location, just something that can be compared.

Quote:
btw, I have a strange bug with the game. I can not play the very first race. It starts, shows the keys that are available in-game and then when pressing fire, the race is immediately over and it shows the results. This only happens with the first race of a new game.
I couldn't reproduce this, for me nothing happens when I press fire.

Quote:
Also, the console output window stays open after quitting the game and can not be closed.
I was able to reproduce this when the game is started from Workbench.
Old 02 November 2023, 09:55   #14
jurassicman

Quote:

(...)
I had the same issue and if I'm not wrong the reason was that I was pressing the wrong button when the "first race dialog screen" appeared. Check it out.
Old 02 November 2023, 11:37   #15
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I'm happy to fix the problem, if someone can tell me what the "wrong button" is.
Old 02 November 2023, 13:33   #16
derSammler

For the first race, it shows an info box and says "Press ENTER to continue". Doing so will start the race normally. Pressing the fire button on the joystick however instead somehow makes the race "crash" to the results immediately. Since that only happens with the first race, it must have something to do with the code that displays the in-game keys.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by light mapping. Please provide provide a screenshot of the same level from the Amiga version as well, and if possible please mark what is missing. It doesn't have to be the same exact location, just something that can be compared.
Nevermind. The screenshot just seems to have a higher contrast.
Old 02 November 2023, 15:18   #17
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Okay, so it was the joystick fire. Still no joy (pun intended), for me it just closes the dialog and starts the race.
Old 02 November 2023, 16:04   #18
derSammler

Can you change it so that the fire button simply does not work at that point? You are asked to press ENTER anyway, so there is no need to allow pressing fire to continue. That should also bypass the bug.

Would of course be better if you could replicate the bug yourself.
Old 02 November 2023, 16:48   #19
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I'm not going to remove this feature as it works fine here, and I prefer to keep it that way. You can just press Enter to bypass the bug.
Old 02 November 2023, 17:05   #20
derSammler

It works for you. But two people reported it, so the bug is there. I thought you would be happy to fix it. If you don't want to remove it, you can also add a tooltype to toggle it.

Pressing ENTER is not a solution if the fire button works as well. As if I remember having to do that if I play the game in a year or so. And what about the people that are not aware of that at all..?

Maybe do some debugging. It can't be that hard to see what is different between pressing fire and pressing ENTER. It must be doing something different.

If you need me to do some testing, let me know.