English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 March 2023, 12:29   #1401
arti

Is there an example code of using new pointer features, especially WA_PointerType?

Last edited by arti; 19 March 2023 at 14:46.
Old 19 March 2023, 20:24   #1402
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arti View Post
Is there an example code of using new pointer features, especially WA_PointerType?
No but it is pretty simple, the types are defined in intuition/pointerclass.h

And so when you opne your window you just apply the tag value

WA_PointerType, POINTERTYPE_CROSS

There is a corresponding tag for gadgets

GA_PointerType

Which is active when your mouse is over the gadget
Old 23 March 2023, 17:44   #1403
torturedutopian

Hi Just wanted to report a bug which occurred under 3.2.1 (but is probably still here under 3.2.2) regarding the Workbench delete command.

I had installed xpk_user. In "novice mode", for some reason, it did install the .guide and a directory which appeared to have an empty title under the root directory of my Games: partition. (strange !)

Under the WB, I deleted the seemingly unnamed directory and... It apparently began a recursive deletion of the content of my Games: ! I immediately interrupted it and could find a few missing files here and there - for instance, all files of my root dir but only a single .info in the rootdir, the .info of a game drawer and inside of it, its executable etc. DAMN.

I guess that's a bug ? BTW, in which order does the WB delete remove the files of an FFS partition ? Wondering if there are files randomly missing from my various games sub-directories.....

:-)
Old 23 March 2023, 17:53   #1404
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
BTW, in which order does the WB delete remove the files of an FFS partition ? Wondering if there are files randomly missing from my various games sub-directories.....
Just use your backup to identify/rescue the files in question.
Old 23 March 2023, 18:30   #1405
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
Hi Just wanted to report a bug which occurred under 3.2.1 (but is probably still here under 3.2.2) regarding the Workbench delete command.

I had installed xpk_user. In "novice mode", for some reason, it did install the .guide and a directory which appeared to have an empty title under the root directory of my Games: partition. (strange !)

Under the WB, I deleted the seemingly unnamed directory and... It apparently began a recursive deletion of the content of my Games: ! I immediately interrupted it and could find a few missing files here and there - for instance, all files of my root dir but only a single .info in the rootdir, the .info of a game drawer and inside of it, its executable etc. DAMN.

I guess that's a bug ? BTW, in which order does the WB delete remove the files of an FFS partition ? Wondering if there are files randomly missing from my various games sub-directories.....

:-)
I'm sorry for your loss. We have recently become aware of several shortcomings of asyncwb which is the component that does the deleting. One such shortcoming is that it works with strings. A basedir string + nothing unfortunately is basedir.

As to what order it delete. that is dependent on the filesystem and for FFS the order is the order the files were created. And it goes depth first before deleting a sibling
Old 23 March 2023, 21:05   #1406
torturedutopian

Hi ! No worries Hopefully it hasn't altered other directories as the job was not over in a specific game directory Cheers and thanks for your reply !
Old 24 March 2023, 10:21   #1407
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Apparently, not. PIPE: is mounted already by the ROMs (actually, System-startup, AmigaOs' "Init-Process"), and thus, something in your startup-sequence or user startup attempts to mount it again. Do you potentially still have a "PIPE" icon in DEVSosDrivers? If so, remove it there, it is no longer needed.
Ive purchased a buffered ide connector and reinstalled the os. When the case was open i noticed id been sent 3.2.1 roms (i didnt know about the upgrade) with my 3.2 purchase. Ive installed the OS to rear cf card (master) and the games will all go on the internal hdd (slave). I hope this sorts my problems.
Old 24 March 2023, 13:36   #1408
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
Ive purchased a buffered ide connector and reinstalled the os. When the case was open i noticed id been sent 3.2.1 roms (i didnt know about the upgrade) with my 3.2 purchase. Ive installed the OS to rear cf card (master) and the games will all go on the internal hdd (slave). I hope this sorts my problems.
No. What sorts your problems is carefully reading what I wrote. Again: If you see the message that PIPE: is already mounted, then that means exactly that: Something tries to mount PIPE:, but the Os already mounted PIPE: for you upon booting. In fact, Os 3.2 and above *do* mount PIPE for you, and it does so that the boot shell has it available. That is really what happens, and it is not related to internal HD or anything like that.

Thus, there is quite likely somewhere in DEVSosdrivers a left-over PIPE icon that is read during bootstrap, or something else in the startup sequence that performs the mount. You can go into the boot menu, enable tracing the startup sequence, then you see command by command what is executed, and you will also see the command that will cause the requester. Check what this command is, and if you do not know how to resolve with this hint, please come again telling the command.
Old 24 March 2023, 16:35   #1409
TGM

Sorry to be a pain, and slightly off topic. Will any of the point releases to 3.2, where relevant, get backported to 3.1.4(.1)?
Old 24 March 2023, 17:47   #1410
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Sorry to be a pain, and slightly off topic. Will any of the point releases to 3.2, where relevant, get backported to 3.1.4(.1)?
No we are only focusing on 3.2 updates
Old 24 March 2023, 18:25   #1411
CCRider

Quote:
Does such an extra amount of work even makes sense?
Old 25 March 2023, 14:47   #1412
BarryB
Amigaholic

Are there any vendors that will send you your code and ISO download link after purchase rather than make you wait for snail mail to deliver?

This bit on Hyperions site still hasn't happened: Digital (machine type specific) downloadable versions will follow.

2023 and nearly everything software related is digital download, except this!!
Old 25 March 2023, 17:28   #1413
Thomas Richter

Quote:
That's one of the things... I don't think this makes sense as a product policy to have two branches of the Os (nonetheless, I would like doing, but again, that's probably more damaging than helping).
Old 25 March 2023, 21:46   #1414
qz3fwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Are there any vendors that will send you your code and ISO download link after purchase rather than make you wait for snail mail to deliver?

This bit on Hyperions site still hasn't happened: Digital (machine type specific) downloadable versions will follow.

2023 and nearly everything software related is digital download, except this!!
Yes when I bought Amigastore.eu I got a download link to the ISO the next morning and then after a few weeks the post man delivered the physical jewel case with CD inside and serial number on the shrink wrap-so don’t rip off the shrink wrap and discard it as you will need the serial to register your copy on Hyperion’s site for updates.
Old 25 March 2023, 22:48   #1415
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Yes when I bought Amigastore.eu I got a download link to the ISO the next morning and then after a few weeks the post man delivered the physical jewel case with CD inside and serial number on the shrink wrap-so don’t rip off the shrink wrap and discard it as you will need the serial to register your copy on Hyperion’s site for updates.
But you had to wait for the delivery to get the serial code, so having the ISO won't let you update to 3.2.2

If the ISO was already 3.2.2 then that's different!
Old 26 March 2023, 00:46   #1416
desiv

NEVERMIND!! (Erased my question about AmigaGuide not working)
Amigaguide is working...
Just something about the one Guide I was trying to open...

Yep, the Default tool was set for AmigaGuide, which didn't work. But setting it to Multiview works...

Last edited by desiv; 26 March 2023 at 01:33.
Old 26 March 2023, 04:36   #1417
qz3fwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
But you had to wait for the delivery to get the serial code, so having the ISO won't let you update to 3.2.2

If the ISO was already 3.2.2 then that's different!
Well I bought 3.2 when it first came out. IDK if you were to buy it today from them if they would send you to a link with the original iso plus 322 update or not but yes worst case you wait for the post office to deliver the serial and then grab the update from Hyperion.
Old 26 March 2023, 14:16   #1418
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Well I bought 3.2 when it first came out. IDK if you were to buy it today from them if they would send you to a link with the original iso plus 322 update or not but yes worst case you wait for the post office to deliver the serial and then grab the update from Hyperion.
I'd like to buy it today, install it today and update it today, but that doesn't appear to be possible yet!

Until that changes i'll stick to 3.1.4, now that I could buy, download and update the same day!
Old 26 March 2023, 15:17   #1419
rutra80

Gotta admit that distribution model is quite XX century.
Old 26 March 2023, 16:23   #1420
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutra80 View Post
Gotta admit that distribution model is quite XX century.
Agree!

But it's certainly not the Devs fault!