English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 20 February 2023, 19:39   #1
DrkStarr

Compiler: Variables name's buffer too small

Hello again,

I'm trying to compile my program now, and I'm running into the error: Variables name's buffer too small at line...

I can see the complier looks for S:AMOSPro_Interpreter_Config, so I have the config file in the S directory. If I try to edit it, Loading Default under Set Interpreter in AMOS, I have no problems. But it looks like the complier isn't reading the file in the S: directory, and I get the error as if the variable size was default. 4K.

Does anybody know what's going on here? I need the complier to handle a lot of variables.
Old 21 February 2023, 19:27   #2
adrazar

It works for me to increase the variable name buffer size in the default interpreter config, both for testing the program and for compiling. The first item under "Compiler system files" in the compiler system setup is "S:AMOSPro_Interpreter_Config". Could it be that S: is assigned to wrong directory on your system?
Old 21 February 2023, 20:20   #3
DrkStarr

I've checked the S: drive and it looks good. I've also taken a smaller Example program, compiled it under default, and it worked fine. Then I bumped up the variable name buffer from 4k to 16k, and compiled the Example again. It worked with no problem.

Are you using a program that needs more than 4k for the variable name buffer? It should be throwing an error under default. It seems to work fine when it's not needed :/
Old 21 February 2023, 22:40   #4
adrazar

Yes, I created a program consisting of about 70 differently named variables, each of length around 70 characters (mainly using copy paste ). Caused the compiler error you encountered. However, the uncompiled program could not be run either, with the same error message. Perhaps you only got it when compiling? Both error messages went away after increasing the buffer size in the interpreter config.
Old 21 February 2023, 23:55   #5
DrkStarr

Well then I'm doing something wrong. I have noticed that there are a lot of different versions of AMOS out there. I'm doing this in 2.0. Can you link the version that you're using? Hopefully 2.0.
Old 22 February 2023, 13:39   #6
adrazar

Same version as you I had a realisation though; we might not be compiling the same way! I tested this hypothesis by compiling my test program through the "stand-alone" compiler shell that can be started from a workbench icon, and it didn't work
So what I've been doing all this time is that I've started the compiler shell (or compiled directly) from the drop down menu in the AMOS editor. I suppose this then should work for you as well
Old 22 February 2023, 17:25   #7
DrkStarr

Wow. You hit the nail on the head. I was trying to compile from the external compiler in the AMOS folder. I thought that was how you did it.

But opening a Compiler Shell in AMOS did the trick. I was able to load the program like I would, and then compile it with no problems.

I also had my modified copy of AMOSPro_Interpreter_Config in both the S folder and the the root of AMOS. I don't think AMOS reads the config from the S folder, not if there's one in the root folder.

Thanks for all the help. It's a little tricky to get to run, but a really cool program.