English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 November 2016, 02:37   #61
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
[ in a tiny high pitched voice.. ] Yes please...

Just want to unpack them all to an Amiga HDF or to a PC NTFS folder I can use for WinUAE to access as an Amiga HDD ??
Here's something that should do it, do you want to test this out? It's just a quick amigados script to unpack stuff into initial letter folders. Works for lha and zip. You'll need lha and unzip in your C: directory.
Unzip this, put the two scripts into a folder on the amiga, and using the cli CD to that folder and do "execute listAndUnpack inputdir outputdir" where inputdir is where your packs are e.g. DH1:mypacks (put your lha and zip packs here) and outputdir is where they will be unpacked to e.g. DH1:mygames
So: execute listandunpack DH1:mypacks DH1:mygames
It won't overwrite archives it has already unpacked so you can keep adding packs to your inputdir and running the script, and it will just unpack the new ones to your outputdir.

Well give it a try anyway and report back if it doesn't work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip unpack-packs.zip (963 Bytes, 153 views)
Old 20 March 2017, 16:55   #62
roryslambert

Hey all, new user here at the Amiga Boards.

rare_j, awesome instructions! Thanks a bunch for the great tutorial. I followed all the steps so far but have run into a bit of a snag.

Preparing the boot.adf and I've nuked both ROMs down. The a500 is 157kb and the a1200 is 337kb. However, when I try to copy them to Disk1 I run out of space.... I haven't added anything to boot.adf so I'm not sure what's happening there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 20 March 2017, 19:54   #63
rare_j
Zone Friend

Hi, sorry, those instructions are rather old. I don't think the kickstarts will fit on a floppy disk anymore, because whdload is bigger. Sorry the instructions were not updated.
You could try copying the contents of the floppy to a 5mb hdf and use that to boot from instead. Then nothing needs to be compressed. I beleive using a floppy disk to boot from worked better with winuaex at the time, but I doubt anyone is still using winuaex.
Old 20 March 2017, 23:44   #64
roryslambert

Ah! That makes sense! I'm actually still using Winuaex on my modded Xbox and only just got interested in Amiga as I want to give the Amiga version of King's Quest VI a shot as it's got some different puzzle and story aspects. I can run the disk version no problem but the load times are killer.

I'll give your suggestion about a 5mb hdf a shot and see if I can boot it that way. Will report back if I have any success!

Old 21 March 2017, 18:03   #65
roryslambert

No luck. I booted Winuaex with the newly created Boot.hdf as Hard Drive 1 and my game hdf as Hard Drive 2, set it to Amiga 1200.

Booted to the AmigaDos screen with the message:

Game drive not found
Check that a game hardfile is configured.

I'm assuming this is because the original boot.adf floppy instructs the emulator to boot the hard disk in dh0 but not the boot drive is in dh0? Thoughts?

Further, if all else fails, I wonder if you might be able to instruct me into how to build a single hdf with my game, kickstarts and whdload installed? Big request, I know, but I figured it was worth asking!

Old 22 March 2017, 15:16   #66
rare_j
Zone Friend

Ok, I don't know why that's not working, but there's an alternative.
Use the floppy disk images included, and put the kickstart images onto the 'kicks' adf, in the devs folder.
Use 'boot.adf' as df0, 'kicks.adf' as df1, and your hdf file ad dh0.
That should work, it is the way I used to use it.
Hope this helps!
Old 22 March 2017, 19:06   #67
roryslambert

Ok cool! I'm away from home for a couple days but once I get back to my Xbox I'll give it a shot! Thanks for that and I'll let you know if it worked.

Old 25 March 2017, 01:23   #68
roryslambert

Ok! I followed your new tip and it totally worked:

DF0: Boot.adf
DF1: Kick.adf (with kickstarts in dev:kickstarts)
DH0: KingsQuest6.hdf
Machine: 1200 +4MB RAM, Fastest/OK Compatibility

In doing so, I realized what I did wrong with the other option you offered -- I had mistakenly renamed my hdf file to whd. So this configuration worked too:

DH0: Boot.hdf
DH1: KingsQuest6.hdf
Machine: 1200 +4MB RAM, Fastest/OK Compatibility

Incidentally, the two hard drive option seemed to perform better, with lower load times.

Thanks for all your help on this. Much appreciated. Looking forward to finally checking out the version differences between King's Quest VII Amiga and PC.

Old 02 April 2017, 20:39   #69
rocomat

A very good thing, but the big problem is the boot menu.

Because arcade cabinet users don't have a mouse - to choose and click at the game file. Hmm.. I spend some time to get it work. At the end, we cannot start the files.

Perhaps there's a chance to get a modified script package without the boot menu and other file information screen? The hdf boots and the game starts, nothing else.

Dan