English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 January 2020, 12:54   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

WinUAE AB3D:TKG vs AGA 060 framerate

Hi all,

I recently had a ball playing through Alien Breed 3D both on my 1200 060 and WinUAE. I decided to continue with the sequel, The Killing Grounds, but I'm not able to get WinUAE to match the 1200's framerate. The Amiga gets 19fps, but the best I can do on the pc in similar evironments is 13fps. I have tried using jit, selecting maximum speed over compatibilty, but is it just down to my pc hardware?

cpu i7 3770K 3.5GHz and gpu Nvidia 1060 6 Gb.

Thanks -for various reasons it would be handy to be able to play it on my pc.
Old 07 January 2020, 15:16   #2
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

I was playing this the other day, but I fired it up just now to see what my framerate is and it's typically around the the 46/47fps mark. I'm using the WHDLoad version of AB3DII (latest slave).

I'm running WinUAE emulating an A1200 with Blizzard 1230 IV running AmigaOS 3.1.4 and a 3.1.4 ROM. JIT is enabled. "Fastest possible" is selected and "More compatible" (for CPU and FPU). 32MB Fast RAM.

My PC CPU is an i7-5930K 3.5GHz running at 4GHz (6 cores / 12 threads). My GPU is an MSI Geforce 2080 Ti TRIO (self-overclocks to 1755MHz).

I would guess your CPU is letting you down.
Old 07 January 2020, 18:33   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Sounds like it! :-)

But does WinUAE make extensive use of cores/threads? Even so, you're getting virtually 4 times the performance I am, which seems a bit excessive.

Have you tried running Tornado AGA on that setup? :-)
Old 07 January 2020, 21:00   #4
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

There's this thread from Nov 2014 on multiple cores (a lot has probably changed in 5 years, though):
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75738

I'd be interested to know how much PC GPU power WinUAE can utilise too. For example, my 2080 Ti might be a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut as far as emulation is concerned.

I haven't tried Tornado AGA, but I did try TFX and unfortunately I can't get it to load.
Old 07 January 2020, 22:22   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I recall there being 3 or 4 versions of TFX for different hardware specs with and without FPU. I don't think the cannon worked on the FPU version. :-/
Maybe you could try a different exe?
Old 07 January 2020, 22:48   #6
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I selected an older config and was able to get a naximum framerate of 20fps. I think my more recent configs have added antialiasing or some stuff for a better picture for youtube "broadcast" which has slowed it down.

All the same, I'm keen to get as smooth a framerate as possible, which I'm clearly not acheiving at the moment. :-/
Old 07 January 2020, 23:25   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I recall there being 3 or 4 versions of TFX for different hardware specs with and without FPU. I don't think the cannon worked on the FPU version. :-/
Maybe you could try a different exe?
Yeah, I have TFX (Tactical Fighter Experiment) working great in WinUAE

...can't remember which version / patches I used though.

Read the HOL notes for suggestions
Old 07 January 2020, 23:35   #8
hexaae
Bug hunter

Everything on WinUAE runs approximately 20-40x compared to my old real A1200+B1260@66+32MB... Including AB3D2:TKG (WHDLoad patched or not), Quake, and any AGA based C2P fps shooter like Gloom Deluxe etc.
Old 07 January 2020, 23:58   #9
Rotareneg

On my decidedly non-gaming oriented laptop with an i5-3230M (and the integrated Intel HD 4000 GPU) AB3D2 runs just fine, 50 fps or so.

I loaded it from floppy using the A1200 4 MB Fast RAM quickstart config, PAL, compatibility slider all the way to low compatibility, with floppy speed at 800%.
Old 08 January 2020, 00:22   #10
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, without actually testing myself, I presume the WHDLoad version is the problem here (wouldn't be the first time), as I too see very good framerates when running from floppy disk or a native install

My "Acer Aspire 5951G / i5-2410M" laptop, with the following specs, are quite poor in this day and age i.e. from late 2011... yet I don't have the issues reported in this thread via WinUAE...

Last edited by DamienD; 08 January 2020 at 00:32.
Old 08 January 2020, 21:15   #11
hexaae
Bug hunter

Runs fine the WHDLoad version here... A case of badly configured WinUAE IMHO.
You can also switch to faster AGA C2P Kalms routines in-game.

@Angus
Be sure you selected DX11 or DX9 under Host > Miscellaneous, and not Software or DirectDraw rendering.

Last edited by hexaae; 08 January 2020 at 21:24.
Old 12 January 2020, 09:40   #12
AmigaHope

Quote:
Hi all,

I recently had a ball playing through Alien Breed 3D both on my 1200 060 and WinUAE. I decided to continue with the sequel, The Killing Grounds, but I'm not able to get WinUAE to match the 1200's framerate. The Amiga gets 19fps, but the best I can do on the pc in similar evironments is 13fps. I have tried using jit, selecting maximum speed over compatibilty, but is it just down to my pc hardware?

cpu i7 3770K 3.5GHz and gpu Nvidia 1060 6 Gb.

Thanks -for various reasons it would be handy to be able to play it on my pc.
There is an RTG patch for AB3D2:TKG on Aminet. I have not tried it on UAE but on my A4000 w/CSPPC+CVPPC the performance improvement was like night and day. Bypassing the Amiga bus and going straight to the video card made the game butter smooth except when the largest bosses were loaded. The only downside was that it played without any window dressing, but who cares? My only caveat is that is crashes sometimes.

Note that this was *NOT* using WHDload, but using a regular HD install of the game.
Old 03 May 2020, 17:19   #13
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I seem to have completely missed them and thought the subject was closed, so apologies for that. I tried just using .adf files but met with snarled up graphics for some reason.

But I think the low fps problem may lie in my Amiga DH0 partition that i use - possibly? I've looked again at my WinUAE config in line with your suggestions and can't see anything wrong.

Oh wait.......................

I had a fiddle with the processor slot ram. It was on zero, I set it to 128 mb. Seems to have doubled my framerate to 39 fps regardless of screen size in the game.
I've just had the Z2 fast set to 8mb before this. Hmmmm..... progress. :-)
Old 06 May 2020, 13:37   #14
AmigaHope

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I seem to have completely missed them and thought the subject was closed, so apologies for that. I tried just using .adf files but met with snarled up graphics for some reason.

But I think the low fps problem may lie in my Amiga DH0 partition that i use - possibly? I've looked again at my WinUAE config in line with your suggestions and can't see anything wrong.

Oh wait.......................

I had a fiddle with the processor slot ram. It was on zero, I set it to 128 mb. Seems to have doubled my framerate to 39 fps regardless of screen size in the game.
I've just had the Z2 fast set to 8mb before this. Hmmmm..... progress. :-)
Have you tried using the RTG patch yet? It will completely bypass having to emulate the C2P.
Old 06 May 2020, 16:20   #15
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I haven't yet. It sounds an excellent workaround for that game, but I'm more focussed on why my WinUAE was running as slow as it does. Does anyone have some general advice about the memory configuration reference Z2/Z3/Processor slot etc?

Also, when I'm using the Processor slot ram setting in WinUAE (and cache in WHDLOad tooltypes) I'm very happy with the 2x speedboost, but wondered why I'm capped at 39 fps regardless of window size.